Retail Openings and Closures

aquabliss said:
Blaze is good but I still prefer Pieology crust.  That being said I'll applaud either one taking that spot (wishful thinking).

I haven't had Blaze but Pieology is pretty good for me.  Speaking of semi-custom pizza places, Ugly does not seem to be doing so well at Orchard Hill.  I don't think an upscale pizza place works there...a First Class pizza seem to be a better fit.

Orchard Hills is also screaming for a dessert place like Yogurtland.  Golden Spoons failed there because...well it's a Golden Spoons.

Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:
Ren I like and they serve up some nice off (main) menu items. Asian tapas is pretty inedible IMO. Maybe I'm just ordering the wrong stuff?

@iho. If that's the case, then a blaze needs to open up in the old garbanzo space.

That's actually an important point.  Asian Tapas is run by Taiwanese owners so you can't order the traditional Cantonese faire (Chow mein, fried rice, etc.).  What do you get there?

Beef noodle soup (isn't that Taiwanese?), that pickled veggie noodle one, basically all the noodle dishes. What should I be getting there instead?

bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:
Ren I like and they serve up some nice off (main) menu items. Asian tapas is pretty inedible IMO. Maybe I'm just ordering the wrong stuff?

@iho. If that's the case, then a blaze needs to open up in the old garbanzo space.

That's actually an important point.  Asian Tapas is run by Taiwanese owners so you can't order the traditional Cantonese faire (Chow mein, fried rice, etc.).  What do you get there?

Beef noodle soup (isn't that Taiwanese?), that pickled veggie noodle one, basically all the noodle dishes. What should I be getting there instead?

Yes but I wouldn't get noodles at a regular Chinese place.  Noodles is pretty specialized.  I would go with their hot pot soups and stirfry stuff. 

Speaking of pizza, finally ate at that Square One Pizza in Oak Creek.

Decent tasting food, but expensive. At night, they turn into a full-service restaurant.

And their pizzas are square... very thin cracker crust but better (IMO) than Pizza 90 down the road.

And the PDM Cafe that turned into McVeans has turned back into a Pain Du Monde. That one is so weird in how it keeps changing its identity.

aquabliss said:
I vote for Pieology in place of Garbanzo but First Class Pizza probably has a non compete clause in their contract.

I still think Pieology trumps all the other make your own Pie places, I've tried most of them but keep going back to my herb butter.
Blaze is the best, imo. I don't go to any of them often, but they stood a class above to me. 

Ugly pie co will go down, gave it the ps9 Kobe death stare a month ago, did they ever get the liquor flowing?  Well, it's too late now.

Something about the OH shopping center....even Ren tastes different again (they have two chefs)

paperboyNC said:
Heard that Garbanzo at the Woodbury Town Center closed.

Place was hit and miss.  Can we get something above average at the WTC?  Everything there is mediocre at best.

ps9 said:
Ugly pie co will go down, gave it the ps9 Kobe death stare a month ago, did they ever get the liquor flowing?  Well, it's too late now.

Something about the OH shopping center....even Ren tastes different again (they have two chefs)

They were selling wine in those sealed individual serving cups last time I was there so I guess so?  Also tried the egg pizza. Not bad.

aquabliss said:
I vote for Pieology in place of Garbanzo but First Class Pizza probably has a non compete clause in their contract.

I still think Pieology trumps all the other make your own Pie places, I've tried most of them but keep going back to my herb butter.

Yeah, I'd love Pieology at WTC. The place formerly occupied by Oceanic/Yellowfin is perfect. But, yes, it seems First Class Pizza would have a problem with that. That said, while they both serve pizza, they seem very different to me.

I'd love to see a Mediterranean/Persian food place open there as well. Alternatively, a sit-down Indian place would be good too. Something in that space! It's been empty for a year now (or so it seems).

paperboyNC said:

How random.. was just about to head out for lunch and Garbanzo was on my short list.  Good thing I read this!  I loved their food/price/quick service.  I'm going to miss this place...

woodburyowner said:
paperboyNC said:

How random.. was just about to head out for lunch and Garbanzo was on my short list.  Good thing I read this!  I loved their food/price/quick service.  I'm going to miss this place...

I must have come here when the service was not quick.  lol.  It took awhile to get a few beef kabobs going every time. 

Well.. here's to a few things opening up there that won't be generic chain. 

Cumin in CV is now closed also!  Those are 2 of my goto lunch spots.  Had to eat at Da Luau and they raised their prices.  $10.x for mixed plate is now $12.x.  Pretty steep increase.

woodburyowner said:
Cumin in CV is now closed also!  Those are 2 of my goto lunch spots.  Had to eat at Da Luau and they raised their prices.  $10.x for mixed plate is now $12.x.  Pretty steep increase.

I like Doner G a lot.. but it's a little bit further down on Barranca and Culver. 

iacrenter said:
Haggens files for Chapter 11.

Whoever approved the Albertson store purchases needs to be fired.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-haggen-bankruptcy-20150908-story.html

Who would have thought that selling the same products as the stores Haggen replaced at higher prices wouldn't be a smart business model?  We consumers all want to pay more for the same, right?

In other bk news Quicksilver also filed Chapter 11 yesterday blaming competition from H&M and Forever 21:http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-quiksilver-bankruptcy-20150909-story.html

Wonder if pavilions will come back.  First vons left, and then pavilions, I like them better than albertsons for whatever reason. 

You'd think that QuickSilvers competition would be more inline with billabong, Hurley, o niell and other lifestyle clothing companies...

Back