Primrose at Portola Springs

qwerty said:
the $290 hoa + the $342 mello roos equals an additional principal of $120,000, tack that on to the $620,000 base price and its the same as paying $740,000 on a place with no HOA/MR, but that rules out  most of Irvine. Puts the price per sq ft at $360 a sq/ft.

Yeah, that is still pretty expensive for what you get...especially with just a small sliver of a side patio and how packed in these Primroses are going to be with the front door and front facing windows being only a few feet away from the neighbor.

kayochan said:
... how packed in these Primroses are going to be with the front door and front facing windows being only a few feet away from the neighbor.
This is why I wonder if a motorcourt is a better solution than the alley-backed one. If the homes are going to face a street, I can understand the alley access but if they are just going to face other homes... wouldn't you want a little more separation even if it is some black asphalted mini-street?

I've looked at many of these alley products around Irvine and it seems people spend time in that area anyways so why don't they just face the front towards them and give 'em real backyards instead of sideyards (or in many attached cases, no yard).

irvinehomeowner said:
kayochan said:
... how packed in these Primroses are going to be with the front door and front facing windows being only a few feet away from the neighbor.
This is why I wonder if a motorcourt is a better solution than the alley-backed one. If the homes are going to face a street, I can understand the alley access but if they are just going to face other homes... wouldn't you want a little more separation even if it is some black asphalted mini-street?

I've looked at many of these alley products around Irvine and it seems people spend time in that area anyways so why don't they just face the front towards them and give 'em real backyards instead of sideyards (or in many attached cases, no yard).

I will take the motorcourt any day over the alley-backed detached condo.  I "need" the driveway.  Otherwise, I will be looking for a parking spot when I get home after work.  That is  the last thing I want to do after paying $700K for a house.  It brings back memories of days when I was poor and were  living in an apartment.

We visited too. Do not like the high hoa's and mello roos. My gf and I are going to buy together, our combined income is probably double the median household in Irvine and we both think these prices are such a rip off.

How about the motorcourt with no drive way vs alley load garage?  This is more of a fair preference comparison right?  In this case I would prefer alley load garage.  The complain about motorcourt is the execution of the front door and it's presences.  Having a driveway makes it a little better.

fe9000 said:
How about the motorcourt with no drive way vs alley load garage?  This is more of a fair preference comparison right?  In this case I would prefer alley load garage.  The complain about motorcourt is the execution of the front door and it's presences.  Having a driveway makes it a little better.
I probably would still take motorcourt for a variety of reasons:
1. Alley load precludes the ability to have a larger backyard space.
2. If I'm going to have my kids playing in the "alley/motorcourt", I'd rather it be in front of my house where other neighbors can watch for shenanigans.
3. While aesthetics may favor alleyloads, if they are not on a street and just have a walkway between homes, who really looks at that and says "Oh... nice front."?
4. You can have a block party with open garages.

I guess I'm a "traditionalist" (loosely used because one can argue that front garages are not traditional... esp BK) but it just seems like entering my home from the back is less social... it's like a private entrance.

I came to the sales office last weekend, they actually reduced the price for plan 1 and 2, but increased it for plan 3. Here's the starting price:

Plan 1: $569,990, 1739sqft = $327.8/sqft
Plan 2: $579,990, 1873sqft = $309.7/sqft
Plan 3: $619,990, 2056sqft = $301.6/sqft

I like plan 3 the most, but most of them are located at the back alley, I guess that's why price/sqft is the most reasonable. I'm not sure if either all or most of plan1s are facing the street and some of plan2s are facing the alley and some of them are facing the street (depends on which phases they're on). I guess those are also the factor in determining the price.

Between plan 1 and plan 2, I like plan 1 better, it feels more spacious on the first floor. Plan 2 has a weird layout, the kitchen has an angled corner and I feel the first floor has much less space than plan 1, though plan 2 has a loft on the second floor.

irvinehomeowner said:
fe9000 said:
I probably would still take motorcourt for a variety of reasons:
1. Alley load precludes the ability to have a larger backyard space.
2. If I'm going to have my kids playing in the "alley/motorcourt", I'd rather it be in front of my house where other neighbors can watch for shenanigans.
3. While aesthetics may favor alleyloads, if they are not on a street and just have a walkway between homes, who really looks at that and says "Oh... nice front."?
4. You can have a block party with open garages.

I guess I'm a "traditionalist" (loosely used because one can argue that front garages are not traditional... esp BK) but it just seems like entering my home from the back is less social... it's like a private entrance.

Experienced both type of homes and yes, entering from the alley load garage is definitely less social.  However, with the motorcourt setup, I definitely feel that if I am standing at the entrance I am way too close to "traffic".  Like I have to get out of the way when cars are pulling in.

As for garage, I actually like front garages however the way I understood BK is that garage should be separate from the house?  I don't know, I could be totally off.  What's ideal for me would be front garage but set back with longer driveway.

Saw these over the weekend.  couples of things that I noticed, even thought they do have a TV wall but the furnishing of the great room is not so good except for plan 2.  Not that it's a big deal, but I didn't notice any microwave in the kitchen.  Overall, I actually like plan 2 a bit more than the other two because of the better furnishing of the great room and the loft upstairs.

I was there too... I wonder if I ran into fe9000 when we were there ;).

While it is basically a box, we really like the execution of the upstairs lofts to add extra 2nd floor living space. It makes the upstairs less cramped unlike other Woodbury/WBE homes. Having a breakfast bar on the kitchen island makes up for the lost downstairs space but at least you get somewhat of a foyer. I also like that they made sure each kitchen had a pantry with a door.

But the master beds/baths were small... the master shower in the Plan 3 was tiny... I barely fit and could not raise my arms up to shampoo my hair without hitting a wall (no... I did not really shampoo my hair). And what I did notice (Round Corners may like this), is unlike most of the homes built today... they used sharp corner edges. It's fine, although there were some places where I think someone might get hurt but it's weird because I only see that type of finished corner on older homes.

Irvine2Irvine said:
ajw522 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Blueberry East said:
Sweet, I'll be there between showings!

Crap!  I thought it was THIS Saturday!  Oh well.....

No, it was last Saturday.  The crowd was not as big as I thought it would be.  No real lines to get the free In-and-Out burgers. 

Darn - I was looking forward to free In-N-Out!

Oh, noooo. I just came on here to post pictures from a visit to Primrose that took me a few hours today. I took soooo many pictures and was uploading them all when I realized that the KB site not only has shots but virtual tours of all three models as well.  :eek: It was a wasted trip. But, if anybody wants a photo of a certain area that is not already up here: Primrose by KB then let me know and I'll see if I can dig one up.

ajw522 said:
kayochan said:
ajw522 said:
kayochan said:
Stopped by today to see what they had at the Primrose office.  The sales lady said they will probably have the model homes ready in about a month or two, and will begin selling in 2-3 weeks.  So they are going to be selling these a few weeks prior to their model homes being completed.  I wondered who will be buying homes w/o seeing what they actually will look like.  But then again, I guess people are buying San Carlos units w/o seeing model homes for them...

Could you see if the models were being built?

I only saw dirt behind the KB Homes/Primrose trailer. 

Oh by the way, I thought these didn't have a yard but the sales lady clarified that they will have side patios kinda like those for KB's Bougainvillea homes. 

She said that they will probably be a little bit longer but more narrow than the side yards found in Coronados (in WBE).  I also got the site plan for the first several phases and looks like some side patios will be bigger depending upon the location. 

Do you think you can scan and attach the site plan?

As of 9/02/10:
ry%3D480

readytobuy said:
just called their office. Their models are open on july 3rd. Prices are 579k for plan 1, 590k for plan 2, and 610k for plan 3 so that puts plan 3 for $296 per square foot. anyone interested in buying? Their mello roos is higher than the Woodbury east though...

As of 9.02.10, here are the new "starting from" prices:

Plan 1 - $549,990
Plan 2 (& 2X) - $564,990
Plan 3 - $609,990

SoCal78 said:
readytobuy said:
just called their office. Their models are open on july 3rd. Prices are 579k for plan 1, 590k for plan 2, and 610k for plan 3 so that puts plan 3 for $296 per square foot. anyone interested in buying? Their mello roos is higher than the Woodbury east though...

As of 9.02.10, here are the new "starting from" prices:

Plan 1 - $549,990
Plan 2 (& 2X) - $564,990
Plan 3 - $609,990

So looks like they lowered their prices.  This is interesting, the SFR prices are holding steady (even with motorcourt).  But the mid range priced detached condo (New or resale such as Cashette in Woodbury) are sliding lower (Coronado excluded).  Honestly I would prefer these over Coronados.  I guess the row home style with side yards are not as desirable. 

Back