President Trump

spootieho said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Trump didn't have to back Moore but he did.
Of course he had to.  One candidate would vote with him.  The other would vote against him.  It is not rocket science.   

The whole assault allegation was very overrated.  The media sold wolf tickets.  It was dirty politics.

No he didn't.  A lot of GOP did not, including Richard Shelby.

Great...they're all lying.

Happiness said:
Isn't 14 fairly close to marriageable/courtable age in Alabama? I heard a Moore supporter in Alabama tell an NPR reporter that "what's wrong with that? My wife was 16 when we got married."
Probably. 

I recall moms trying to set me up with their 14 year old daughters when I was 20.  And that was a poor town in California.  I felt that would be too weird and pathetic, though.  I do have friends who started dating their current wives when they were 14 with a 10 year difference.  20 years later, they are very happily married.

About it being creepy...  he just got done serving in Vietnam back then.  Soldiers put into that situation often have a bit of arrested development.  IMO it is still creepy, but we really aren?t looking at it from the perspective of the times.

Only one of the accusers brought up a possible assault that while bad, was harmless.  Most other accusers stated that didn?t ever happen with them, so maybe he has some credibility.  It does, however, show that he may have been a predator.  Also they stated their moms encouraged them to have a relationship with him.  So we have one possible alleged assault 40 years ago that did no damage.  Yikes. 

Irvinecommuter said:
spootieho said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Trump didn't have to back Moore but he did.
Of course he had to.  One candidate would vote with him.  The other would vote against him.  It is not rocket science.   

The whole assault allegation was very overrated.  The media sold wolf tickets.  It was dirty politics.

No he didn't.  A lot of GOP did not, including Richard Shelby.

Great...they're all lying.
I didn?t say that.  Your response is very dishonest in intent.  Think about why you responded that way.  You aren?t five years old.  You are avoiding critical thinking and logic.

A lot of the GOP arent on team Trump.  Some of them are posturing.  Some of them bought into it the whole outrage fad.

spootieho said:
Happiness said:
Isn't 14 fairly close to marriageable/courtable age in Alabama? I heard a Moore supporter in Alabama tell an NPR reporter that "what's wrong with that? My wife was 16 when we got married."
Probably. 

I recall moms trying to set me up with their 14 year old daughters when I was 20.  And that was a poor town in California.  I felt that would be too weird and pathetic, though.  I do have friends who started dating their current wives when they were 14 with a 10 year difference.  20 years later, they are very happily married.

About it being creepy...  he just got done serving in Vietnam back then.  Soldiers put into that situation often have a bit of arrested development.  IMO it is still creepy, but we really aren?t looking at it from the perspective of the times.

Only one of the accusers brought up a possible assault that while bad, was harmless.  Most other accusers stated that didn?t ever happen with them, so maybe he has some credibility.  It does, however, show that he may have been a predator.  Also they stated their moms encouraged them to have a relationship with him.  So we have one possible alleged assault 40 years ago that did no damage.  Yikes.

So according to you it's cool for a 32 old to take a 14 year old to the woods and molest her because of Vietnam??? How can you possibly claim that there was "no damage"? You may want to check yourself, because you are coming off like a total pedo.

spootieho said:
Happiness said:
Probably. 

I guess it's okay then.

It not something a person should consider in whether that individual should represent them in Congress? 

peppy said:
So according to you it's cool for a 32 old to take a 14 year old to the woods and molest her because of Vietnam???
Did I say it's cool?  No.  Stop lying.

I wrote "weird and pathetic".  I wrote "predator".  I wrote "bad"

peppy said:
you are coming off like a total pedo.
I don't appreciate your POS attack.  You are crossing the lines.

Sorry, but you are attacking critical thinking.  You don't even know what a pedo is and you shouldn't be accusing other members here of it.  That's an asshole move.

spootieho said:
peppy said:
So according to you it's cool for a 32 old to take a 14 year old to the woods and molest her because of Vietnam???
Did I say it's cool?  No.  Stop lying.

peppy said:
you are coming off like a total pedo.
I don't appreciate your POS attack.  You are crossing the lines.

You didn't literally say it's cool, but you defended this assault nonetheless.

peppy said:
You are attacking critical thinking and using logical fallacies.  You are attacking empathy.  That's not cool.  You see, you are basically shutting up others that may have a point to make.  It's this sort of behavior why people often don't speak up.  They don't want to be attacked and or accused of something and or grouped.

I wrote "weird and pathetic".  I wrote "predator".  You chose to ignore that.

spootieho said:
peppy said:
You are attacking critical thinking and using logical fallacies. 

I wrote "weird and pathetic".  I wrote "predator"

You also said it did no damage? How do you know? Something or someone caused damage for her to look like a 70 year old while she's in her mid 50s.

spootieho said:
peppy said:
You are attacking critical thinking and using logical fallacies.  You are attacking empathy.  That's not cool.  You see, you are basically shutting up others that may have a point to make.  It's this sort of behavior why people often don't speak up.  They don't want to be attacked and or accused of something and or grouped.

I wrote "weird and pathetic".  I wrote "predator".  You chose to ignore that.

You wrote "So we have one possible alleged assault 40 years ago that did no damage.  Yikes.". You do not see this as a big deal, or as anything harmful to a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD CHILD. You minimize the whole assault as being "weird", "pathetic" and "creepy". I do not detect any empathy from you to the victim. The only empathy I get from your post is for the monster that assaulted her.

Loco_local said:
You also said it did no damage? How do you know? Something or someone caused damage for her to look like a 70 year old while she's in her mid 50s.
I'm projecting a little, and making assumptions.  I'm pretty confident that I'm right when I say there was no damage.

Per her story:
She wasn't raped.  She willingly snuck out to go make out with him.  When over the clothes fondling happened, she felt weird and left.  She got out of the situation the moment she felt uncomfortable.  The same thing could have happened with a 14 year old boy or a 16 year old boy or a 18 year old boy.  Though, had it been one of those boys, they might have pushed her a lot harder to stay and continue.

While I feel there was no damage done to her, it does look like he was a predator, creepy, bad, weird... 

peppy said:
You wrote "So we have one possible alleged assault 40 years ago that did no damage.  Yikes.". You do not see this as a big deal, or as anything harmful to a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD CHILD. You minimize the whole assault as being "weird", "pathetic" and "creepy". I do not detect any empathy from you to the victim. The only empathy I get from your post is for the monster that assaulted her.
You don't understand what empathy is and how it works.  It's part of the critical thinking process.  I try to have empathy for both people.  Based on your responses, I don't think you are currently capable of it.  You are only capable of being an asshole to other members here and not apologizing.

Furthermore, I was responding to someone who mentioned this being common in Alabama. 

spootieho said:
Loco_local said:
I'm projecting a little, and making assumptions.  I'm pretty confident that I'm right when I say there was no damage.

Per her story:
She wasn't raped.  She willingly snuck out to go make out with him.  When over the clothes fondling happened, she felt weird and left.  She got out of the situation the moment she felt uncomfortable.  The same thing could have happened with a 14 year old boy or a 16 year old boy or a 18 year old boy.  Though, had it been one of those boys, they might have pushed her a lot harder to stay and continue.

While I feel there was no damage done to her, it does look like he was a predator, creepy, bad, weird...

It wasn't a 16 year..it was a 32 old man in a position of authority.  It is why we have statutory rape laws. 

So a 14 year boy can be sexual assaulted but hey he may like it so it's okay.

You are trying to excuse inexcusable conduct.

spootieho said:
peppy said:
You don't understand what empathy is.  I have empathy for both people.  Based on your responses, I don't think you are currently capable of it.

Furthermore, I was responding to someone who mentioned this being common in Alabama.

Pretty ironic response.  And you are probably using the word empathy wrong.

Irvinecommuter said:
It wasn't a 16 year..it was a 32 old man in a position of authority.  It is why we have statutory rape laws. 

You keep using logical fallacies.  I'm not going to get anywhere until you start giving honest consideration to the conversation.

I'm not trying to excuse it.  I'm giving perspective that some of you refuse to consider.

It's certainly inexcusable by today's standards.  It would be illegal with today's laws.  I don't think he broke any laws back then, though had he had sex with her he would have broken the law.  I don't think he damaged her based on what she claimed.  Perhaps you can enlighten me on what damage he may have done...

BTW, I don't favor him as a candidate.  I wouldn't vote for him for many reasons.

Irvinecommuter said:
Pretty ironic response.  And you are probably using the word empathy wrong.
You are showing your ignorance.  Let me enlighten you a bit.

You may want to also look it up.

Empathy is the ability to understand and relate to other's points of view.  It doesn't mean you need to side with them.  It doesn't mean you have to feel sorry for them.  It doesn't mean sympathy.  Empathetic thinking as part of the critical thinking process should require you to try to understand the point of view from BOTH/ALL sides of a dispute or issue.

spootieho said:
Irvinecommuter said:

You keep using logical fallacies.  I'm not going to get anywhere until you start giving honest consideration to the conversation.

I'm not trying to excuse it.  I'm giving perspective that some of you refuse to consider.

It's certainly inexcusable by today's standards.  It would be illegal with today's laws.  I don't think he broke any laws back then, though had he had sex with her he would have broken the law.  I don't think he damaged her based on what she claimed.  Perhaps you can enlighten me on what damage he may have done...

BTW, I don't favor him as a candidate.  I wouldn't vote for him for many reasons.

What logical fallacies are I using?  I am simply re wording what you said. 

I am not sure what factual basis or evidence you have to say  that you "don't think he damaged her based on what she claimed."  She said she was substantially damaged and it affects her to this day. 

In Leigh Corfman's first television interview since she accused U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore of molesting her when she was 14 and he was 32, she spoke of the residual and long-lasting trauma of surviving the alleged sexual assault.

"It took away a lot of the specialness out of interactions with men. It took some trust away,? she told "Today"'s Savannah Guthrie. "It took years for me to regain a sense of confidence in myself, and I felt guilty. I felt like I was the one that was to blame. It was decades before I was able to let that go."
https://www.salon.com/2017/11/20/ro...fman-on-today-show-i-was-a-14-year-old-child/

You are literally excusing it:  It's bad but it's cannot be that bad...I mean I don't think it was that bad and if it happened to a boy...he would have liked it.

Irvinecommuter said:
Rewording it can easily lead to logical fallacies.

If B is part of A and C is part of A does C=B? 
If I say "I am saying B", and then you say "You are saying C" you are committing a logical fallacy.  C may possibly = B, but it doesn't necessarily = B.

Irvinecommuter said:
You are literally excusing it.
OMG.  You are literally misusing the word literally.

spootieho said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Rewording it can easily lead to logical fallacies.

If B is part of A and C is part of A does C=B? 
If I say "I am saying B", and then you say "You are saying C" you are committing a logical fallacy.  C may possibly = B, but it doesn't necessarily = B.

Irvinecommuter said:
You are literally excusing it.
OMG.  You are literally misusing the word literally.

I am literally not.  You may say you are not excusing it but you literally are. 

BTW...at least two people have stated that you are making some really outlandish comments...you may want to reconsider.

Irvinecommuter said:
I am not sure what factual basis or evidence you have to say  that you "don't think he damaged her based on what she claimed."  She said she was substantially damaged and it affects her to this day. 
I don't have a factual basis for that.  This is where I am stating my opinion.

I don't believe her that she was damaged.  No.  She does have some blurred credibility issues and integrity issues.  Had she been so fragile that she damaged by him, I'm very certain she would have been damaged by someone else.

Had she been so damaged, would she have asked him to sign her yearbook?

I'm not even sure I believe her allegation 100%.  It seems more like half truths.  I think other girls would have come out stating the same thing. I do, however, believe that he courted young girls including the main accuser. 

Back