Pre-Dry Wall Inspection

test said:
Chairman said:
test said:
Go here:  https://irvinepermits.org/Default.asp?Build=PM.pmPermit.SearchForm&utask=normalview

Enter your new home address.
Click on the permit.
In the Viewing dropdown select Actions/Status.

You'll be able to see which inspections were done and the upcoming inspections and you'll know when the insulation is going in.

Hi Test,

I tried the site you mentioned but for some reason I can't pull any information. Anyone else have success trying to look up permits for their home? Thanks.

Where it says Street Address enter your street number (not your lot number) and street name and leave everything else blank.

Not sure what is up with their database. I tried various combinations and finally got 2 results back using just house number and lot number. I only see the permit for the new home construction and then the permit for the structural upgrade. So it looks like I just have to keep checking this site to see if new permits show up. Many thanks for your help, Test & Bones.

Nice! Under Action/Status I see the contractor contact name and the names of reviewers. Are there any IP names in particular that people have had negative or positive experiences with? Thanks.

Chairman said:
ZeroLot,

Have you asked yet? I have not out right asked yet. Want to do all my research first before. Thanks for sharing that info. Has anyone been successful that you know in doing the pre-dry wall inspection?

Yes, I asked.  My design center consultant said she'll email the necessary people and have them contact me directly this coming week.  The electrical and dry wall for mine is going up this week or next week.  I hope they call back.  *crosses fingers*

I recently did my own inspection with the help of a friend who used a professional inspector for his home earlier this year so he knew what common things to look for. What were some of the common issues others have come across? Most of the issues we were able to identify were missing nail plates, inadequate fireblocking caulk material, missing metal plates where pipes penetrated the floor, and tears and holes in the building paper they wrap around the house.

We also noticed a lack of caulk being used in general. Has anyone just bought their own caulk at Home Depot and gone into their home and just sprayed over any cracks throughout the home?

Also my 2 pendant lights do not center around the recessed light can above the island. Is it common to not have the can light sit dead center and therefore the pendant lights will not be equally spaced from the can light? It is hard to tell right now as the island is not even built out.

Feeling clueless on a lot of things. Thanks for your help.

Chairman said:
I recently did my own inspection with the help of a friend who used a professional inspector for his home earlier this year so he knew what common things to look for. What were some of the common issues others have come across? Most of the issues we were able to identify were missing nail plates, inadequate fireblocking caulk material, missing metal plates where pipes penetrated the floor, and tears and holes in the building paper they wrap around the house.

We also noticed a lack of caulk being used in general. Has anyone just bought their own caulk at Home Depot and gone into their home and just sprayed over any cracks throughout the home?

Also my 2 pendant lights do not center around the recessed light can above the island. Is it common to not have the can light sit dead center and therefore the pendant lights will not be equally spaced from the can light? It is hard to tell right now as the island is not even built out.

Wow ... I feel very clueless too.  That's a lot to look for.  Building a home is not my specialty. 

The official answer for pre-dry wall inspection for me is a no.  So I went into the sales office and they let me inspect it on my own.  Wish I knew what those things you mentioned looked like.  It takes someone who knows a bit of construction to spot those details. 

When I'm checking it out I'm just counting the outlets and making sure I see insulation.  That's already more than what my husband knows to do.

ZeroLot said:
The official answer for pre-dry wall inspection for me is a no.  So I went into the sales office and they let me inspect it on my own.
This seems shady to me. They won't let you have an inspector look, but they'll let you look?

You should bring your "brother-in-law" next time.  ;)

Chairman, thanks for sharing your findings.  Unfortunately, this type of subpar construction quality seems to be the norm nowadays.  Quality control almost non-existence.  As long as they pass the city inspection that?s good enough for them.

Tyler Durden said:
Chairman said:

Do yourself a favor:

Make a punch list of these items in excel or something that you have a copy of.  Go room by room, note the location and defect (take pics if you can).

When you get your final walkthrough, present your list with evidence and photos and request for them to be remedied prior to close.

If you don't document the location and nature of the problem, its easy to forget how many or where they were.  Otherwise when they finally do try to fix them, they may only get 2/3 or 3/4 of the problems fixed.

I did create a punch list with photos and documentation. Although they won't do much with it at this point. Just gave me the typical speech about how everything will be addressed but we don' t need to bog the workers with a list since they are so busy right now. How will they address things I noted that are behind the dry wall? I only get the walk through when everything is done. I will have a professional inspector with me at that point.

irvinehomeowner said:
ZeroLot said:
The official answer for pre-dry wall inspection for me is a no.  So I went into the sales office and they let me inspect it on my own.
This seems shady to me. They won't let you have an inspector look, but they'll let you look?

You should bring your "brother-in-law" next time.  ;)

The inspector would not go with me since the person is not allowed to be there due to the written contract. The homebuilder says you can check it out for yourself on Sundays but what if they dry-wall before Sunday? Then you will miss it. I am trying to check it out more frequently but it is hard since it gets dark so fast now. :(

irvinehomeowner said:
The contract says you're not allowed to bring someone with you? The shade gets darker.

You can bring people with you. The inspector would not agree to come since inspector said he/she is not lawfully allowed there. IP does not allow it so if the inspector were there this person would be there illegally I suppose?

Can IP do that? Don't you have a right as the buyer to bring a 3rd party inspector?

Where is Gloria Allred?

All kidding aside, I think it's messed up they don't allow it... what are they hiding?

irvinehomeowner said:
Can IP do that? Don't you have a right as the buyer to bring a 3rd party inspector?

Where is Gloria Allred?

All kidding aside, I think it's messed up they don't allow it... what are they hiding?

Yeah, they did away with allowing people to bring in an inspector for the pre-dry wall. I think other home builders are moving towards the same. It delays the building process which I can see. You are allowed to bring an inspector for the final walk through.

So I have the name of the inspector for my home. You think if I email him my punch list he will be receptive to it and try to address the items I have outlined? Anyone ever do this before?

Back