Porto's Bakery

momopi said:
I meet with Betty Porto last night for a tour of her bakery's kitchen in Downey. 

Did you by any chance ask her when the Buena Park Porto's going to open?

I'll probably gain some pounds if they open nearby....  Not a big sweets fan but I can eat quite a few cheese rolls in one sitting

Since my last comment, I have visited Porto's a few times.  Quite good sandwich at very reasonable prices.  The sweets don't appeal to me at all.  Rather have 85 degs or Korean bakeries. 

Parking lot is a disaster though.

lnc said:
momopi said:
I meet with Betty Porto last night for a tour of her bakery's kitchen in Downey. 

Did you by any chance ask her when the Buena Park Porto's going to open?

Next year.  The brother (Raul?) who manages construction and design is a perfectionist.  If you give him a budget he is sure to exceed it.  At the Downey Bakery ($14 million) he did not like the lights and went to Germany to import specialty bakery lights that enhances the appearance of the baked goods at the counter.

Betty also mentioned that they "recycle" unsold items into other items, such as unsold bread (or scraps) into bread pudding.  Any excess that cannot be recycled is donated to feed the homeless.  Almost nothing is wasted.

eyephone said:
I like the Cheese Rolls at Porto's Bakery, but I don't like the lines at Porto's.

Why don't the TI'ers rotate each week and buy the group all the cheese rolls and pastries as needed?  That way each of us only have to wait in line once every couple months. 

Porto's is by miles the best bakery in OC, what kills it are the wait times, worth it though.

Eao said:
Porto's is by miles the best bakery in OC, what kills it are the wait times, worth it though.

If you're just buying a cake, you don't have to wait in line - just go to the far left (the cake section).

You can also skip the main line and buy the most popular pastries in the coffee line to the right.

I think it's overrated too.
I like their Potato Balls though (only when I don't have to wait 10+ min).

I prefer Moulin in Newport and Laguna Beach more.
SideCar in Costa Mesa is really good also, although they close at 4pm.

For Irvine local ones:
From 85 Degrees, Sea Salt Iced Coffee is pretty much the only good one.
From Paris Baguette, White Toast Bread and Sweet Potato Pastry are good. Of course these are only based on my taste.
Many seem to like Strawberry Croissants from there also.

irvinehomeowner said:
I guess I'm the only one who thinks Porto's is overrated.

The hot food from the cafe is just ok.

Some of the pastries are mediocre too.

The standout items are the ones with flakey crust (cheese rolls, strudel, turnovers, etc).  All of those are excellent but must be eaten on the same day.

The Parisian chocolate cake is also outstanding.

Mety said:
I think it's overrated too.
I like their Potato Balls though (only when I don't have to wait 10+ min).

I prefer Moulin in Newport and Laguna Beach more.
SideCar in Costa Mesa is really good also, although they close at 4pm.

For Irvine local ones:
From 85 Degrees, Sea Salt Iced Coffee is pretty much the only good one.
From Paris Baguette, White Toast Bread and Sweet Potato Pastry are good. Of course these are only based on my taste.
Many seem to like Strawberry Croissants from there also.
Moulin is definitely a treat. Portos potato balls is good but not worth the wait.
I would like to add a few of my favs

Cream Pan in Tustin (Japanese bakery) the cream they use in their bread and strawberry croissants  is the best and suitable for older people who fear desserts that are too sweet.  For sure a crowd pleaser at company outings.  My other favorite are the Sunmerry Bakery next to taiko.  Their cakes and bread are just as good as 85 degree.  If you are looking for legit tiramisu, one of my favs is Kawaii Bakery in Fountain Valley.  Really good organic bread is Duke's Bakery in Rowland (the Irvine one doesn't have half the selection)

irvinehomeowner said:
I guess I'm the only one who thinks Porto's is overrated.

Also, you have to factor in the experience at the bakery. Your eyes will pop when you walk into the Buena Park Porto's. The place is so huge, the design of the location is amazing, and workers are nice.

Back