Planning our next vacation

I'm glad Ps9 resurrected this thread because mentally, I'm in the same place lately. With the news that Mr. SoCal now gets 19 weeks off every year (5 vacation, 1 personal, and 13 sick), I think I need to be planning a few trips to keep busy. I've never been to Hawaii. I've been told these, on a few different islands, are nice so I'm looking into them: Turtle Bay Resort on O'ahu, Grand Wailea on Maui, and Waikoloa on Hawaii. I'm also looking at cruises up the coast to Vancouver and to Alaska. Butchart Gardens looks so beautiful. I hear it's Heaven on earth.

ps9 said:
fatwallet CB is at 15% for cruises thru Priceline.  Not bad if you know what you want.  Looking into the Carnival 3 day out of Long Beach down to Ensenada.  Reviews weren't that great though.  My only cruise experience was with Holland America. 

So with the cashback, about $900 for 3 nights for family of 3 memorial day weekend (leaving thurs) with a possible $75 onboard credit.  On the fence still..

When we sailed the Carnival Miracle last spring, Mr. SoCal dubbed it "The Motel 6 of the Seven Seas". I died laughing because it was true. While I would cruise again, I wouldn't do it on Carnival. Since you've already sailed Holland America, I think you would be particularly disappointed. That would be like going to Las Vegas and staying at Excalibur when you've only stayed at Aria before. I had no expectations going in because I had never sailed with any cruise-liner before. That said, they are pretty much the only cruise liner with a home port of Long Beach year-round and our choices here on the west coast do suck, leaving us with fewer options on other liners.

Is it worth a premium to stay at a nice place, or would you rather spend the money enjoying the rest of the destination?  All those Hawaii places are nice.  Turtle Bay is really out of the way though.  You're close to skydiving and the north shore (flat in summer), and not much else.  Part of the draw of Oahu is there's more socializing, night life and things to do in Honolulu/Waikiki, if that's what you want.  If you just want peace and quiet, to just chill and have quality time with your soulmate, then the other islands are a better destination.  I've never stayed at any of those 3 hotels, but visit Turtle Bay and Waikoloa every now and then.  Maui has Haleakala.  Hawaii has Mauna Kea (make sure it's open).  Maui probably has better restaurants than Hawaii, though probably more than enough on either for a short trip.  Grandma's Kitchen was a surprise hit when I was there a few months ago.  Service was a bit slow, but very friendly, and  the food was ono.  Oahu has terrible traffic.  Hawaii takes a lot of  miles to get around (and can get backed up too, with all the 2-lane roads).  We have stayed at a B&B on Hawaii that's perfect for relaxing.  Anywhere in the state, stop by a Walmart or good tourist shop and pick up a Franko map.  http://frankosmaps.com/

Have also been on an Alaskan cruise, including Butchart Gardens and the trip was phenomenal.  Our 2nd favorite vacation to date.

Kauai is still my favorite, been there twice, honeymoon and last year with family.  Laid back, slow drivers, hippie culture.  To me it was really 'getting away'.

Honolulu feels like LA, food is great, lots of Japanese tourists (which is better than Chinese tourists).  But you don't feel relaxed.  I would go back, my second favorite.

Maui is my least favorite, feels like OC.  And you see the same type of people as well.  Lots of old folks of the paler complexion.  Nothing wrong with that, just too much of the same type of people (again still better than Chinese tourists).  I hate luaus, what a joke. 

So my advice, book Kauai for a week, stop by Costco from the airport, get a timeshare/condo on the eastside where the locals are (avoid Poipu), watch the sunrise from the Ocean from your balcony every morning, grab some poke from the local grocery store and just camp out at the beach.  Oh, and drive slow, do not pass and don't mind the roosters.

Of those 3, I like Maui the best, but then like you said, it's like OC.

I just don't think going to Hawaii is really a vacation because it's almost like here... which is why we like going to the non-suburbs like NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc. to experience something different.

To answer daedalus' question, it's important for us that the hotel is nice. A bad hotel can make the whole vacation bad, whereas if the rest of the destination is only okay, at least you can relax in comfort/luxury at the end of the day (or even during the day).

ps9 said:
Kauai is still my favorite, been there twice, honeymoon and last year with family.  Laid back, slow drivers, hippie culture.  To me it was really 'getting away'.

Honolulu feels like LA, food is great, lots of Japanese tourists (which is better than Chinese tourists).  But you don't feel relaxed.  I would go back, my second favorite.

Maui is my least favorite, feels like OC.  And you see the same type of people as well.  Lots of old folks of the paler complexion.  Nothing wrong with that, just too much of the same type of people (again still better than Chinese tourists).  I hate luaus, what a joke. 

So my advice, book Kauai for a week, stop by Costco from the airport, get a timeshare/condo on the eastside where the locals are (avoid Poipu), watch the sunrise from the Ocean from your balcony every morning, grab some poke from the local grocery store and just camp out at the beach.  Oh, and drive slow, do not pass and don't mind the roosters.

Thx. I think we will try this one out. Lots of activities for young kiddos?

You got beach, musubi, and shaved ice.  The perfect trifecta for kids (and me).

Skip helicopter tours (fly n' puke), sunset dinner on west side boat rides are ok, but going north up the coast can be very choppy as the captain is gunning it on a timed schedule with the sunset.  Coming back down was much more enjoyable and my kid got to be captain and steered the boat for awhile! 

And you don't have to 'plan' activities, relax and just drive around.  Lots of places to explore.  I hate being on a timeline during my vacation.

ps9 said:
You got beach, musubi, and shaved ice.  The perfect trifecta for kids (and me).

Skip helicopter tours (fly n' puke), sunset dinner on west side boat rides are ok, but going north up the coast can be very choppy as the captain is gunning it on a timed schedule with the sunset.  Coming back down was much more enjoyable and my kid got to be captain and steered the boat for awhile! 

And you don't have to 'plan' activities, relax and just drive around.  Lots of places to explore.  I hate being on a timeline during my vacation.

definitely.

would like to be at a resort with a water splash/slide area. 

We did super touristy Kauai a few years ago and still loved it. Stayed at the st Regis. Golfed on princeville. Catamaran on the Napoli coast. Rode ATVs at kipu. None are very kid friendly including the hotel. Probably explains why we go to Maui every time. Can't beat how young kid friendly it is. The grand wailea has a ton of slides, water elevator, lazy river. But wailea is a bit sleepy/resort-y so we typically stay in kaanapoli. Most of the hotels there have kid friendly features. The Westin timeshare there has a cool pirate ship pool. Really depends on how old your kids are...

Hyatt in Kauai has a waterslide, lazy river, and saltwater lagoon.  On the Big Island, I'd recommend the Hilton Waikoloa.  It's like Disneyland with a monorail and a boat that can take you to your room.  They also have dolphins you can play with (for a hefty price).  On Oahu, Disney's Aulani is very popular with families with young kids.  On Maui, other than the Grand Wailea, I'd recommend the Hyatt Kaanapali for the pool grotto and penguins or the Westin/Sheraton for snorkeling around Black Rock.

Wow, it's all so much to think about. Daedalus or whomever would like to weigh in: I'll give what I'm looking for and you can chime in with suggestions on what you think would be the best match. One of my biggest fears is that it's going to be just like Iho said. I'm going to spend all this time and money only to discover it's exactly like Orange County. I could have just stayed home!

Do want:

- Activities that would appeal to teens and t'weens. My kids will be joining us!

- A safe area. From what I gather on Dog the Bounty Hunter, there's a major ice subculture. I was thinking like a safe resort.

- Is it possible to find a lower humidity area?? I doubt it. But if so, I'd love to know. I can't deal.

- A good, cliche, touristy luau complete with fire dancing and roasted oink. The kind of luau Ps9 hates.

- Airport / resort shuttle transportation, with a lei greeting at the airport.

- A location conducive to island-hopping is a plus.

- Indoor, evening, or shady activities are greatly appreciated! (Jungle? Waterfall hikes? Luau? Other suggestions welcome!) One of my biggest concerns is mine and my one child's physical state due to being very fair-skinned. I'm greatly concerned about the UV index in Hawaii. Getting closer to the equator makes a huge impact. Humidity only compounds skin burns with blistering and severe swelling & pain. I really don't want to end up in the hospital with second degree burns, fever, vomiting, etc. This happened to me when I went to the Gulf of Mexico. My eyes were swollen shut. Lily white person problems. (Yes, I do realize Hawaii may not be the best destination for us!)

- ^ A hospital or urgent care on the premises or somewhere nearby would be a good idea, just in case. I noticed Waikoloa Village does have one. That's great! Any others?

Do Not Want:

- A really slow-paced, overly relaxed atmosphere.

- Tons of honeymooners / retirees and few families.

- Nothing to do but sit on the beach all day and get a massage. Boring!

- I don't really care about shopping.

SoCal said:
Wow, it's all so much to think about. Daedalus or whomever would like to weigh in: I'll give what I'm looking for and you can chime in with suggestions on what you think would be the best match. One of my biggest fears is that it's going to be just like Iho said. I'm going to spend all this time and money only to discover it's exactly like Orange County. I could have just stayed home!

Do want:

- Activities that would appeal to teens and t'weens. My kids will be joining us!

- A safe area. From what I gather on Dog the Bounty Hunter, there's a major ice subculture. I was thinking like a safe resort.

- Is it possible to find a lower humidity area?? I doubt it. But if so, I'd love to know. I can't deal.

- A good, cliche, touristy luau complete with fire dancing and roasted oink. The kind of luau Ps9 hates.

- Airport / resort shuttle transportation, with a lei greeting at the airport.

- A location conducive to island-hopping is a plus.

- Indoor, evening, or shady activities are greatly appreciated! (Jungle? Waterfall hikes? Luau? Other suggestions welcome!) One of my biggest concerns is mine and my one child's physical state due to being very fair-skinned. I'm greatly concerned about the UV index in Hawaii. Getting closer to the equator makes a huge impact. Humidity only compounds skin burns with blistering and severe swelling & pain. I really don't want to end up in the hospital with second degree burns, fever, vomiting, etc. This happened to me when I went to the Gulf of Mexico. My eyes were swollen shut. Lily white person problems. (Yes, I do realize Hawaii may not be the best destination for us!)

- ^ A hospital or urgent care on the premises or somewhere nearby would be a good idea, just in case. I noticed Waikoloa Village does have one. That's great! Any others?

Do Not Want:

- A really slow-paced, overly relaxed atmosphere.

- Tons of honeymooners / retirees and few families.

- Nothing to do but sit on the beach all day and get a massage. Boring!

- I don't really care about shopping.

After reading this laundry list, I really don't think Hawaii is for you.  Not to be a wet blanket, but I think you need to temper your expectations.

Hawaii is safe, but it's humid.  Most people don't really island hop, unless you're on a cruise.  There aren't many indoor activities.  The medical care is not that great.  It's slow-paced.  There are lots of retirees.  And most people go to sit on the beach all day.

bones said:
SoCal - sorry I haven't read all the posts but is this your first time to Hawaii?

Yes! With a number of islands to choose from and a number of places to stay, it seems overwhelming trying to make a decision.

SoCal said:
bones said:
SoCal - sorry I haven't read all the posts but is this your first time to Hawaii?

Yes! With a number of islands to choose from and a number of places to stay, it seems overwhelming trying to make a decision.

How about Florida?

WTTCHMN said:
After reading this laundry list, I really don't think Hawaii is for you.  Not to be a wet blanket, but I think you need to temper your expectations.

Hawaii is safe, but it's humid.  Most people don't really island hop, unless you're on a cruise.  There aren't many indoor activities.  The medical care is not that great.  It's slow-paced.  There are lots of retirees.  And most people go to sit on the beach all day.

Haha. No problem, it's okay. I often think the same thing. That's probably why we haven't made it a point to visit there yet.

I'm surprised about the island-hopping, though. My friends who go, always island-hop and my one friend made that her top piece of advice for me. After that, I thought everyone did. I guess that's not typical?

I disagree. I think Hawaii would be fun. Since you haven't been, I would start with Oahu and Maui. You can do both on the same trip.

And lots to do for your boys. ATVs, zip lining, riding bikes down the mtn at sunrise, snorkeling, hiking, etc, etc.

Since me and SoCal are basically twins, I don't think she will enjoy Hawaii as much as you all do.

Like I said, you can save the flight by just staying at a nice resort in Newport Beach or if you want an "island experience", Catalina.

Back