Planning our next vacation

In Maui, stay at the Grand Wailea. There's this awesome sushi place in Kihei...forgot the name. Even the Roy's Ahi Tuna tastes a million times better than the one at Fashion Island. Avoid Road to Hana...overrated. When it gets dark in Maui, it's pretty dead so wake up early and enjoy the day.

We were originally planning to go to the Grand Wailea this summer, but changed it to Aulani for the kids.

@MovingOnUp:

I liked the Road to Hana... it's just slow going because of all the turns and twists. Did you drive it or were you driven? My wife hated it because she got dizzy (I was driving).

We have gone to these resorts for years. Sometimes with the kids sometimes without.  They are full service, 5 star, all inclusive (booze and wine) resorts. The pictures do NOT do them justice and for the price I have cannot find a better value (especially if you like booze and wine)  We went to Beach Palace last year and yes my wife made it back alive.  We swam with the dolphins and the kids went crazy for the food and goodies every day all you can eat, 24/7. The food was excellent.  It is very safe as long as you remain on site. We theorize it is a money laundering operation for the drug cartels because there is no way they make any money and maintain such wonderful resorts.  Anyway, my 2 cents.

http://www.palaceresorts.com/

26inirvine said:
Any tips for Hawaii?  Going for the first time this summer!  Going Kauai, Maui, and Oahu.  Most of trip will be in Kauai and Maui. 

in maui, i would recommend the following:

- 26 mile bike ride down mt haleakala
- parasailing
- road to hana
- zip line tour

USCTrojanCPA said:
What about Anaheim and the happiest place on earth (Disneyland)?

We're planning to go there as well.  have to coordinate everyone's schedule (extended family), since we all want to take my 2year old there for the first time.  Can't wait to see her reaction when she sees Mickey up close. 

qwerty said:
26inirvine said:
Any tips for Hawaii?  Going for the first time this summer!  Going Kauai, Maui, and Oahu.  Most of trip will be in Kauai and Maui. 

in maui, i would recommend the following:

- 26 mile bike ride down mt haleakala
- parasailing
- road to hana
- zip line tour

Jet ski before parasailing
Don't do the ATV tour or pay to snorkel. You can honestly swim 100 yards out on your own for free and see turtles, stingrays swimming beneath you.
If you're stuck on doing road to hana, I think it's the 1st or 2nd stop on the map (it'll have the most stands w/ people selling crap), spend your time there. Lots of little lagoons and waterfalls to jump into. If there hasn't been a lot of rain, a lot of the waterfalls further down the road are at a trickle. And take bug spray...a ton of mosquitos.

Went to Kauai and Maui a few years back, Kauai was just hit with a huge storm and it was red mud everywhere, the water was red and nasty looking.  Maui was ok but seems very OC like, might as well go to NB and stay at a fancy hotel and buy some leis at a local flower shop to duplicate the feeling..  Road to Hana, remember it can get tiring especially for the driver.  Heard alot of locals call it "road to divorce".  There some guidebooks I saw at the local AAA for each island, pick one up and read up on it would be my suggestion, it's the ones with the blue cover.

I am new to TI and trying to absorb all the inside culture but I am having a tough time deciphering this one.

irvinehomeowner said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
I have never heard of any traveler said SoCal is a memorable city. Only Chicago or New York.
Dude... Fullerton is the vacation capital of the world.

ps99472 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

We're planning to go there as well.  have to coordinate everyone's schedule (extended family), since we all want to take my 2year old there for the first time.  Can't wait to see her reaction when she sees Mickey up close.

u getting a pass?

kalbi said:
ps99472 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

u getting a pass?

Not sure.. what's the best deal?  I don't think my two year old can last more then 2 hours so might need a few days to tour all of disney

ps99472 said:
kalbi said:
ps99472 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

u getting a pass?

Not sure.. what's the best deal?  I don't think my two year old can last more then 2 hours so might need a few days to tour all of disney

Taking our first child to go see the Mouse made us fall in love with the place all over again. The first time he went was at about 2 years old. Video camera and Nikon (for stills) in hand, we prepped ourselves to catch his reaction to the wonders of Main Street and the views up to the Castle entrance to Fantasyland... instead all he did was step joyfully on the curb, and jump back down for the first ~20 minutes.  :)
Halfway through "It's A Small World," when he went into all-smiles mode and started singing along, was when it finally clicked with him that this whole place was intentionally weird, and wonderfully so.

We skipped passes last year but did renew for this year.  Don't know of any deals, but would suggest that you get the parking add-on and make sure it's on your child's pass.

(and as an aside, rumor has it that Modern Family was filming there yesterday. Happy birthday, Cam.)

IrvineRealtor said:
(and as an aside, rumor has it that Modern Family was filming there yesterday. Happy birthday, Cam.)
sofia-vergara-modern-family-disneyland.jpg

Jaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy!

ps99472 said:
kalbi said:
ps99472 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

i think there is a deal right now for so cal residents - 3 days for $199? maybe check costco. we got an annual pass, no deal but make good use out of it. we go take the kids probably twice a month, go for a couple of hours and ride a couple of rides.
u getting a pass?

ps99472 said:
kalbi said:
ps99472 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

u getting a pass?

If you have a good friend or family member in the military, this is pretty good:
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/special-offers/military-ticket/

Costco usually has some Dland deal going on for 3 or 4 days.  I think it usually comes with a 50 dollar gift card which will cover like one meal...

ps99472 said:
Went to Kauai and Maui a few years back, Kauai was just hit with a huge storm and it was red mud everywhere, the water was red and nasty looking.  Maui was ok but seems very OC like, might as well go to NB and stay at a fancy hotel and buy some leis at a local flower shop to duplicate the feeling..  Road to Hana, remember it can get tiring especially for the driver.  Heard alot of locals call it "road to divorce".  There some guidebooks I saw at the local AAA for each island, pick one up and read up on it would be my suggestion, it's the ones with the blue cover.

Those blue guidebooks are called The Ultimate <insert island name> Guidebook.  I highly recommend them.  They are written by a couple of long time residents and full of "locals only" knowledge of the islands.

I don't know how you can say Maui is OC-like.  There's really no comparison, but maybe you didn't leave the safety of your resort.  I drove all over that island, hiked to so some heavenly spots like the Iao Valley Needle, rode horseback down into Haleakala Crater, spent 14 hours exploring the road to Hana, went to the beach almost every day...

I guess if you don't have a sense of adventure or a love of natural beauty, then Maui and Kauai don't have much to offer.  Personally, I've loved every minute of time spent in Hawaii and felt like crying whenever I've had to go home.

ps99472 said:
kalbi said:
ps99472 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

u getting a pass?

If you don't want to buy an annual pass, the 2fer deal is the best thing going for SoCal residents.  It's two days for $99, good up until June 9th (I think).

My kids didn't really like Maui that much either... like PS9... I think they felt it was too much like when we go to the beach... same thing when we stayed at a resort in San Diego for a mini-vac (they only like the fact we went to Sea World).

They really liked New York... which is very different from Irvine... so that's why I think they would like Chicago... although maybe I can just take them to downtown LA. :)

fatwallet CB is at 15% for cruises thru Priceline.  Not bad if you know what you want.  Looking into the Carnival 3 day out of Long Beach down to Ensenada.  Reviews weren't that great though.  My only cruise experience was with Holland America. 

So with the cashback, about $900 for 3 nights for family of 3 memorial day weekend (leaving thurs) with a possible $75 onboard credit.  On the fence still..

ps9 said:
fatwallet CB is at 15% for cruises thru Priceline.  Not bad if you know what you want.  Looking into the Carnival 3 day out of Long Beach down to Ensenada.  Reviews weren't that great though.  My only cruise experience was with Holland America. 

So with the cashback, about $900 for 3 nights for family of 3 memorial day weekend (leaving thurs) with a possible $75 onboard credit.  On the fence still..

Doesn't sound good to me.

Back