Phase 1 or bust?

Paris said:
aquabliss said:
Ah, how appropriate.  I was just looking at this house:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/50-Forbes-92618/home/51682919

This is the biggest lot in Lambert Ranch and it's the cheapest house I've seen for sale there in many months.

The decor inside is bad and the existing landscaping is crap but man, the potential in this place.

I can already visualize how I'd re-do the inside and the outside.  The only problem is I'd need another $250k to make it right.

However I'm a bit stumped as to why this hasn't sold.

Maybe this answers our question, but at least it gives me hope that one day I'll get a bargain home with a big lot that gets ignored since most buyers can't see the potential.

Really? You think the inside is crap? Wow high standards Aqua. Sure the furniture and paintings are questionable but those will be gone. The wallpaper is limited and can be changed. But the flooring, cabinets, mouldings look pretty solid. I've seen so much worse in recent listings where the major stuff like counters, flooring etc are a must change and then it's a pain breaking that stuff up to replace.

So really the major fixer upper needed is the backyard. Not sure about the area and noise but I think this is a good buy for someone with vision and agreed, it has a ton of potential.

Ronnie didn't like the 2 tv's mounted in front of each other.

Am I in the minority and actually like the garden/backyard?

The TV in front of the TV is hilarious though - they couldn't be bothered with taking down the smaller wall mounted one when they got the bigger one.

It's amazing how home standards have changed in only 4 years, those non-10ft ceilings on the first floor make the house kinda dated IMO.

abosch00 said:
Am I in the minority and actually like the garden/backyard?

The TV in front of the TV is hilarious though - they couldn't be bothered with taking down the smaller wall mounted one when they got the bigger one.

It's amazing how home standards have changed in only 4 years, those non-10ft ceilings on the first floor make the house kinda dated IMO.
I didn't have any issue with the backyard. They didn't spend a ton of money, but it looked relative low maintenance and peaceful. It isn't how I'd have done it but I didn't think it looked super tacky or anything.  That said, with that size back yard, I'm sure plenty of people are thinking gigantic pool, covered patio with bar and bbq, etc. 

Paris said:
aquabliss said:
Ah, how appropriate.  I was just looking at this house:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/50-Forbes-92618/home/51682919

This is the biggest lot in Lambert Ranch and it's the cheapest house I've seen for sale there in many months.

The decor inside is bad and the existing landscaping is crap but man, the potential in this place.

I can already visualize how I'd re-do the inside and the outside.  The only problem is I'd need another $250k to make it right.

However I'm a bit stumped as to why this hasn't sold.

Maybe this answers our question, but at least it gives me hope that one day I'll get a bargain home with a big lot that gets ignored since most buyers can't see the potential.

Really? You think the inside is crap? Wow high standards Aqua. Sure the furniture and paintings are questionable but those will be gone. The wallpaper is limited and can be changed. But the flooring, cabinets, mouldings look pretty solid. I've seen so much worse in recent listings where the major stuff like counters, flooring etc are a must change and then it's a pain breaking that stuff up to replace.

So really the major fixer upper needed is the backyard. Not sure about the area and noise but I think this is a good buy for someone with vision and agreed, it has a ton of potential.

I saw this property in person and the upgrades look to be done by a very cheap contractor.  It looks good in the pictures until you look closely and see uneven lines, paint, cuts in flooring, etc.  Those things would really bother me if I was dropping 1.55M on a house.

And yes, there is definitely a lot of street noise that you can hear from the backyard. 

aquabliss said:
This sits higher than Portola.  I don't think the noise here would be as bad as you presume.  Yes the back of the yard borders the entrance but I don't see any issue with that.

Noise travels and broadens upwards. I'd bet there's a ton of road noise in the backyard. That and being next to the gate gotta be deal killers for lots of buyers, especially when it's a buyers market at this price range right now.

Even if you're okay with it, be prepared to lower your price and ready for a long wait if you ever sell. This "amazing" price is no accident.

You guys make me want to go there to check this out.  Can't believe it's that bad... Not the inside and landscaping (which I believe is bad), but the noise.

If there's an open house this weekend, maybe I'll go check it out.  Other than that, I'm probably on the "don't admit" list for Lambert Ranch.

aquabliss said:

The realtor is lying in the description of the property. It is not the largest in the community. This lot is indeed 8065 sq feet as per the developer. However, there is a lot in the community that is 8670 sq feet (corner of Cunningham and Forbes) and another lot on Cunningham that is 8354 sq feet. A fourth lot is 8156 sq feet. Finally, a fifth lot is 8669 sq feet. This final lot has a huge home on it with a larger footprint, so maybe you can quibble with this. But, as far as lot sizes go, 50 Forbes is not the largest in Lambert Ranch. There are at least 4 houses with larger lots, and that doesn't include the original Lambert Ranch home.

Maybe you can say you bought it for the prestige of having the largest lot in the community then sue them for fraud after close.

Of course now that I've posted this I have knowledge that can be used against me so I guess I'm out.

aquabliss said:
Maybe you can say you bought it for the prestige of having the largest lot in the community then sue them for fraud after close.

Of course now that I've posted this I have knowledge that can be used against me so I guess I'm out.

Only if they can proof you are aquabliss.  :)

Back