Phase 1 or bust?

Irvine Dream said:
aquabliss said:
[
So regarding lots/location, of course no neighbors to either side, or behind you is the best.  But would someone prefer backing into a neighborhood street vs having a house behind you especially with the small 10ft setbacks these days?  Does backing into a neighborhood street warrant any premium?

How much negative premium for backing on to neighborhood street (without green belt) in comparison to backing to a house with 10 feet setback?  Not a major artery but say  most of the residences for your development will be using that street.
I view that as still being a positive premium. 

This all depends on the street and the neighborhood.  Overall unless it's a highway or something I'd still take the house that backs to the street. 

I lived in a house that was on one of the busiest streets entering Woodbury (corner of Long Meadow and Vintage), and although you do hear the occasional motorcycle or mid-life crisis guy who just got his new Porsche, I'd pick that over  the lack of privacy.

Living in all 4 situations, backing busy street, backing the freeway, backing other houses, backing a not so busy street... I actually think we prefer backing the not so busy street.

Like aqua said, there was occasional noise but not late at night or very early morning and the light and privacy was in abundance.

As for Phase 1 or bust... buy the best lot in the best location that you can afford... whether it be Phase 1 or Phase 27.

#anothernoansweranswer

aquabliss said:
This all depends on the street and the neighborhood.  Overall unless it's a highway or something I'd still take the house that backs to the street. 

I lived in a house that was on one of the busiest streets entering Woodbury (corner of Long Meadow and Vintage), and although you do hear the occasional motorcycle or mid-life crisis guy who just got his new Porsche, I'd pick that over  the lack of privacy.

Was your backyard backing into longmeadow or vintage?  Also, I think all the streets have a walking path between your wall and street if I remember correctly.

abosch00 said:
aquabliss said:

Was your backyard backing into longmeadow or vintage?  Also, I think all the streets have a walking path between your wall and street if I remember correctly.

Side yard backing to Long Meadow but basically on the corner.

The area with walking path and green belt was quite large (maybe 20 feet even), but I dunno if that makes much of a difference when cars peel out from the 4 way stop.

Would a lot premium be more valuable down the line when selling or spend the extra cash fancy-up your yard?

I feel if I'm looking at identical floor plans in a neighborhood with one being a 6000 sq ft lot and typical backyard vs a 4000 sq ft lot with a beautiful backyard, the beautiful yard may sway me more.

Meaning you buy a 6000 sqft lot that commands a $20k premium, and you cover the yard all in pavers with small brushes on the edge.  Would that really sell for more when selling against someone with a 4000 sgft lot who spend the extra $20k on a built in bbq, fireplace, trellis, lighting...etc?

TJinOH said:
Would a lot premium be more valuable down the line when selling or spend the extra cash fancy-up your yard?

I feel if I'm looking at identical floor plans in a neighborhood with one being a 6000 sq ft lot and typical backyard vs a 4000 sq ft lot with a beautiful backyard, the beautiful yard may sway me more.

Meaning you buy a 6000 sqft lot that commands a $20k premium, and you cover the yard all in pavers with small brushes on the edge.  Would that really sell for more when selling against someone with a 4000 sgft lot who spend the extra $20k on a built in bbq, fireplace, trellis, lighting...etc?

Location > than backyard features

I can tear up and redo a larger lot to my liking if the larger lot lacks in features compared to the done up small lot. Add a small pool/jacuzzi, fire pit etc.  can't do that if you don't have the space

AW said:
I can tear up and redo a larger lot to my liking if the larger lot lacks in features compared to the done up small lot. Add a small pool/jacuzzi, fire pit etc.  can't do that if you don't have the space

Hypothetical: if you were backing Jamboree, lot size don't matter

#locationlocationlocation

eyephone said:
AW said:

Hypothetical: if you were backing Jamboree, lot size don't matter

#locationlocationlocation
Lol. Yep, that's for sure.
I was just going by Tjin's assumption of 20k more on the larger lot, would assume that both properties are comparable otherwise.  Not one being by Jamboree and the other one furthest away from it.

TJinOH said:

Doesn't Irvine law require every backyard be completely paved with just a 1' dirt perimeter for planting screening shrubs?

TJinOH said:

Size trumps beauty.  Just ask IHO.

One negative about buying in Phase 1 or 2 is that some builders already have pre-selected several options which are including in the price.

WTTCHMN said:
TJinOH said:

Size trumps beauty.  Just ask IHO.

Obviously.  You can buy features but you can't buy size.  However a lot of buyers don't know how to see potential, and instead sees what's existing.

So throw location of the lot out the window and simply look at side by side lots with similar location (no cup de sac or other factors). 

A buyer sees two similar homes, one 4000 sq ft lot and one 6000 sq ft selling for the same price.  4000 sq ft yard looks amazing while 6000 sq ft yard looks like a large empty lot.  Which one sells faster?

Ah, how appropriate.  I was just looking at this house:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/50-Forbes-92618/home/51682919

This is the biggest lot in Lambert Ranch and it's the cheapest house I've seen for sale there in many months.

The decor inside is bad and the existing landscaping is crap but man, the potential in this place.

I can already visualize how I'd re-do the inside and the outside.  The only problem is I'd need another $250k to make it right.

However I'm a bit stumped as to why this hasn't sold.

Maybe this answers our question, but at least it gives me hope that one day I'll get a bargain home with a big lot that gets ignored since most buyers can't see the potential.

aquabliss said:
Ah, how appropriate.  I was just looking at this house:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/50-Forbes-92618/home/51682919

This is the biggest lot in Lambert Ranch and it's the cheapest house I've seen for sale there in many months.

If you look on the map you see that this house backs against Portola and borders on the entrance to LR tract. Better make sure you are a sound sleeper before buying this house. Traffic on Portola will only get worse as more of PS develops.

This sits higher than Portola.  I don't think the noise here would be as bad as you presume.  Yes the back of the yard borders the entrance but I don't see any issue with that.

aquabliss said:
This sits higher than Portola.  I don't think the noise here would be as bad as you presume.  Yes the back of the yard borders the entrance but I don't see any issue with that.

The issue is proximate to the gate. 

Car stop and than accelerate at the gate and that will be a noise issue.  Just think it's all quite at middle of the night and suddenly a Ferrari (or any other normal car)  return home stop at the gate than accelerate.  I have a feeling that the residents of that home got wake up several time a night due to this and finally give up. 

aquabliss said:

The decor inside is bad and the existing landscaping is crap but man, the potential in this place.

I can already visualize how I'd re-do the inside and the outside.  The only problem is I'd need another $250k to make it right.

Maybe this answers our question, but at least it gives me hope that one day I'll get a bargain home with a big lot that gets ignored since most buyers can't see the potential.

Really? You think the inside is crap? Wow high standards Aqua. Sure the furniture and paintings are questionable but those will be gone. The wallpaper is limited and can be changed. But the flooring, cabinets, mouldings look pretty solid. I've seen so much worse in recent listings where the major stuff like counters, flooring etc are a must change and then it's a pain breaking that stuff up to replace.

So really the major fixer upper needed is the backyard. Not sure about the area and noise but I think this is a good buy for someone with vision and agreed, it has a ton of potential.

Back