Orchard Hills School K-8...When will it expand?

Thank you, I really appreciate the info. But, keeping the schools aligned in their current position is completely unacceptable. I'll continue to follow-up...

I'm confused by how it all works. So currently hicks and Myford are k-4. And ORchard hills is 5-8. And hicks and MYford feed into OH. When OH eventually becomes a k-8 school, where do the current hicks/myford kids go for 6-8? Pioneer? Or are hicks and Myford supposed to be k-8 schools too?

Legit949 said:
Hopefully the families in the Groves will have some influence to help push OH to K-8 sooner than later...

They need to have more sex to produce more kids so the schools open up faster. 

Www.qwertyforyou.com

bones said:
I'm confused by how it all works. So currently hicks and Myford are k-4. And ORchard hills is 5-8. And hicks and MYford feed into OH. When OH eventually becomes a k-8 school, where do the current hicks/myford kids go for 6-8? Pioneer? Or are hicks and Myford supposed to be k-8 schools too?

Ok, did some more digging, per the school locator at the TUSD site, Hicks Canyon ES serves all Irvine K-4.  This is the area east of the 261 toll road:  Orchard Hills (Grove, Terrazza, part of Strada), Northpark, Northpark Square, Mericort).  After 4th grade, these students feed into Orchard Hills School for 5th.  Myford ES (West Irvine) feeds into Pioneer MS, so Orchard Hills gets the majority of its students from Hicks Canyon. 

But even without Myford in the picture, that still leaves a really crowded Hicks Canyon that must feed into Orchard Hills.  I guess they can start adding more Mello Roos fancy trailers onto these campuses to ease the crowding and possibly split the two schools.  Looks like a admin headache to me. 

Any TI parents currently in TUSD in this part of Irvine care to chime in? 

happycat said:
my source was talking to OH school admin and TUSD people.

Really?  Who?

Here's my source:

tusd_zpsw0pcoqeo.jpg
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,12970.msg259114.html#msg259114

And from the 'feel' of her email, it does not bode well for Orchard Hills to expand into a full K-8.  At least not in 2015-16.  So if you're newly bought in TUSD Orchard Hills for $1+ million and paying $$$ for Mello Roos, you will NOT have the privilege of trekking your kinder-4th to your neighborhood good for your health walking elementary school.  You can drive down to Hicks Canyon and see your tax dollars go to the podunks in the rest of TUSD. 

Legit949 said:
Thank you, I really appreciate the info. But, keeping the schools aligned in their current position is completely unacceptable. I'll continue to follow-up...

Log in another complaint. It seems to me they don't care. Don't worry TUSD students will get an iPad courtesy of the technology bond. (Another bright idea, shouldn't they have a school bond for hiring teachers or building schools instead of giving away iPads?) lol

eyephone said:
Legit949 said:

Log in another complaint. It seems to me they don't care. Don't worry TUSD students will get an iPad courtesy of the technology bond. (Another bright idea, shouldn't they have a school bond for hiring teachers or building schools instead of giving away iPads?) lol

A new school?  What a great idea!  There are 4 ES serving Northwood on the other side of Culver:

iusd_zpshfed77su.jpg

Canyon View, Brywood, Northwood, and Santiago Hills

Versus solo Hicks Canyon:
tusd1_zpsgutjf9v4.jpg

If I was an Irvine parent in TUSD, I would be ticked off

ps9 said:
bones said:

Ok, did some more digging, per the school locator at the TUSD site, Hicks Canyon ES serves all Irvine K-4.  This is the area east of the 261 toll road:  Orchard Hills (Grove, Terrazza, part of Strada), Northpark, Northpark Square, Mericort).  After 4th grade, these students feed into Orchard Hills School for 5th.  Myford ES (West Irvine) feeds into Pioneer MS, so Orchard Hills gets the majority of its students from Hicks Canyon. 

But even without Myford in the picture, that still leaves a really crowded Hicks Canyon that must feed into Orchard Hills.  I guess they can start adding more Mello Roos fancy trailers onto these campuses to ease the crowding and possibly split the two schools.  Looks like a admin headache to me. 

@PS9 You are absolutely correct about how these school are splits between the geographic area of Irvine as reference in your post. Those school are over crowded, yet the administrators quoted us that enrollment is low. You got to be kidding me right TUSD. That is a bunch of bulls that I hear years after years. So between the Mello Roose and the special technology bonds, those are well intended, but failed to use properly. These administrators at TUSD are amongst the highest paid educators in California. Admin headache is their own making. Time to get them out of their cushy jobs, high paid with low performance. I have young kids and I am ticked off at how TUSD handle the school allocations and kids shuffling. We have to drive to 3 different spots to pickup our kids accross Tustin. One occasion, while I was driving to my son school, Red Hills was completely block off with two policy helicopter hover over my car as I was driving. As it turn out an arm man buricade himself in an apartment close by the school. They got the whole Tustin Police force and SWAT including some special task force command post setup. This was like a war zone. I pulled into the Indian restuarant right on Red Hills and the 5 to take refuge and might as well grab a bite and stay out of bullets way. I was thinking if all goes to hell, this will be my last good meal. The restuarant owner's was in distressed. And here my son's school is only a block away. This e sh'ts just like in the movie. I called my son's school and they are not even pick up the phone. Left the restaurant and trek to the school on foot and it was a complete locked down. I was thinking holly cow, here I am living in the safest city in America, Irvine, except my son's goes to school in the worst part of Tustin. That was enough for me to pull the trigger and moved out.

Since I'm a former Myford parent, just wanted to clarify that Myford does go up to the 5th grade. The 5th graders who live SW of Champion Way will stay put at Myford. Those that live NE of Champion will go to Orchard Hills for 5th grade. Unless, TUSD has decided to change for the 2015-2016 school year.

I've been a parent of TUSD kids since 2001 and overcrowding has always been an issue, except for the first couple of years of a brand new school opening. TUSD administration has always underestimated the amount of students that will occupy the school. Another problem too are the kids who live outside the city and sometimes county who attend TUSD schools. They're using Aunt Jean's address when the student actually lives in Westminster. No joke, there are kids that are from LA County who attend the higher performing TUSD schools. I remember a few years ago Pioneer did some residence verifying and kicked some kids out.

i cant believe people are stupid enough to buy in the gated side of orchard hills and attend TUSD, paying millions to buy a house, paying MR with no gaurantees, idiots

I believe it's more intentionally underestimating, maximize limited tax base, minimize cost, kick can down the road.  Sounds like a corporation I should be buying stock in!

I don't know how the following adds to this to topic but will tell it anyway.

When Northpark was built Hicks Canyon was supposed to be K-8.  In fact when the construction started the banner said K-8 eventhough TUSD staff knew it was going to be K-5.  The extension buildings which were supposed to be for 6-8 came later but by that time HC was so overcrowded they had to use them for elementary.  I think we would be foolish if we believe what school district or any large organizations (government or other) say at face-value.  When Great Park concept was started I think the selling point was it was going to be a huge park with low residential with no tax money, see how it turned out.  But with the environmental road blocks and budget, if you tell the truth from the beginning, it is likely nothing will ever get built.  So assume about 50% of what is promised will come true, and if more than that comes to fruit consider that as a good bonus.

Compressed-Village said:
ps9 said:
bones said:

@PS9 You are absolutely correct about how these school are splits between the geographic area of Irvine as reference in your post. Those school are over crowded, yet the administrators quoted us that enrollment is low. You got to be kidding me right TUSD. That is a bunch of bulls that I hear years after years. So between the Mello Roose and the special technology bonds, those are well intended, but failed to use properly. These administrators at TUSD are amongst the highest paid educators in California. Admin headache is their own making. Time to get them out of their cushy jobs, high paid with low performance. I have young kids and I am ticked off at how TUSD handle the school allocations and kids shuffling. We have to drive to 3 different spots to pickup our kids accross Tustin. One occasion, while I was driving to my son school, Red Hills was completely block off with two policy helicopter hover over my car as I was driving. As it turn out an arm man buricade himself in an apartment close by the school. They got the whole Tustin Police force and SWAT including some special task force command post setup. This was like a war zone. I pulled into the Indian restuarant right on Red Hills and the 5 to take refuge and might as well grab a bite and stay out of bullets way. I was thinking if all goes to hell, this will be my last good meal. The restuarant owner's was in distressed. And here my son's school is only a block away. This e sh'ts just like in the movie. I called my son's school and they are not even pick up the phone. Left the restaurant and trek to the school on foot and it was a complete locked down. I was thinking holly cow, here I am living in the safest city in America, Irvine, except my son's goes to school in the worst part of Tustin. That was enough for me to pull the trigger and moved out.

did you send them to another public school or private school after the event?

irvinehomeowner said:
And that's why I dislike Mello Roos... no guarantees they are going to infrastructure you will actually get to use.

I don't even know how MR are legal. It's a clear circumvention of prop 13.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
And that's why I dislike Mello Roos... no guarantees they are going to infrastructure you will actually get to use.

I don't even know how MR are legal. It's a clear circumvention of prop 13.

If you think about it, its like additional taxation. The voters passed prop 13 to limit property taxes.

Damn. Qwerty is right. Those OH folks better get on the baby wagon stat so it forces TUSD to open up another elem in OH. But that would probably entail yet another MR on top of the already existing MR.

Edit: Nvm. I'm confusing the iusd side again. They're the ones getting a new elem school eventually.

Back