Orchard Hills School Boundaries

eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
Isn't Pioneer a blue ribbon school?  I can understand Curry and Tustin HS... the demographic is very different. 

Like the above comment.. it still comes down to the parents involvement in the kid's school.  Sure it helps to have other classmates to help.. but home is where it starts.
I agree you can't expect a school to do the work of the parent.

The school should provide a safe environment and the platform for a student to learn.

Yes, Pioneer is a Blue Ribbon school.  I've been to the campus and some of the teaching staff is somewhat stand-offish.  It really comes down to the teacher. 

ZeroLot said:
eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
Isn't Pioneer a blue ribbon school?  I can understand Curry and Tustin HS... the demographic is very different. 

Like the above comment.. it still comes down to the parents involvement in the kid's school.  Sure it helps to have other classmates to help.. but home is where it starts.
I agree you can't expect a school to do the work of the parent.

The school should provide a safe environment and the platform for a student to learn.

Yes, Pioneer is a Blue Ribbon school.  I've been to the campus and some of the teaching staff is somewhat stand-offish.  It really comes down to the teacher.

I've been to Harvard's campus and some of the teaching staff is somewhat stand-offish too.. It really comes down to the teacher!

OCC > Harvard

If I had a dime for every teacher that was standoffish..

I'd have $2.

Irvine teachers
teacher-hug.jpg

Other school teachers
iStock_000018053233XSmall.jpg

I have three teachers in my family.  They all get upset when I talk the political aspects of their work.  There are too many bad teachers out there and they can't get rid of them because of tenure.  I think we can have better teachers if we pay them more.. however.. all of their money goes to the admins, principals, and super ints. 

They should have a Yelp for teachers in each school.

GreatSchools is too general with no oversight.

Should make one for each school district.

(business idea!)

I don't know of any school in IUSD that let you request a teacher.  In fact-  it is often counterproductive - and you can end up NOT getting the teacher you want, just for asking.

furioussugar said:
I don't know of any school in IUSD that let you request a teacher.  In fact-  it is often counterproductive - and you can end up NOT getting the teacher you want, just for asking.
A certain member from under the sea once detailed how he used gifting as a method to ensure his child was on the right track with the right teachers and even with their same friends.

I can't verify the accuracy of such a claim but I've heard rumors of it also where parents were able to somehow get the teacher they wanted in every grade.

And, if you do end up with a teacher that doesn't mesh with your child, you can always request a transfer to another class/school... that I know has happened.

eyephone said:
What are your thoughts - when the teacher asks for money for supplies or something?
We always donate when donations are asked for.

That is also part of the reason why more affluent cities have "better" schools, because the parents contribute to the programs.

You can donate supplies, tell the teacher you need scholarship help if you can't afford it
(they are very discreet and do not hold that against you), ignore the request or upset everyone and make a stink of it and hurt yourself and your child.  Just my two cents.

Back