Orchard Hills Community TUSD Side - Please Enroll Kids

Legit949 said:
@OcNewHome

All the classrooms at Orchard Hills School are currently furnished and filled with students in grades 5 -8. That's why none of this makes sense. If TUSD went with the Boundaries that are currently in place, they could fill the school with students K-8. Not sure what the real issue is... Hicks Elementary has gone from a teacher:student ration of 22:1 to 33:1.
I think I understand a part of the confusion. The make up kids attending Hicks from OH is not very high at all. Hicks is a big school because they want attendance to be high & kids from northpark & northpark square make up the majority plus it accepts transfers. Hicks only went to 5th before (tusd elementary goes to 5th only not 6th like IUSD). OH school opened actually quite early considering last year's parent info meeting revealed "5" elementary school-aged kids coming from tusd side. The old principal predicted about 5 more years. OH had to fill/pump in kids from hicks, myford, TMA, plus transfers into grades 5-8th to get it going. Before OH opened, the kids would have gone to Pioneer middle school (which was pretty crowded room). OH will get to be k-8th one day, but from all I've heard, it won't be soon.

if orchard hills parents want to attend a new TUSD elementary they can attend heritage elementary in 2016!!!

Sorry for the confusion, earlier posts seemed to imply OH School was only half filled...

Anyways, you guys are 100% on, money talks. Never be confused, education is a business and the teachers union runs education in our state.  If TUSD track record with Heritage is an example, they will only open OH to K-8 after an increase in MR.  I wouldn't be surprised to see an increase in MR for the Groves II tied to a commitment to extend OH School.

Principal's within the District also fight for students.  Think each child is worth 11k per year.  Schools will do all kinds of things to increase enrollment prior to norm day.  The more senior principal will generally hold more influence over the Board and likely keep their classrooms at full capacity.

TUSD already has over $240M in school bonds funded by OH. It would be wrong to add more debt to OH residents.

OCNewHome said:
Sorry for the confusion, earlier posts seemed to imply OH School was only half filled...

Anyways, you guys are 100% on, money talks. Never be confused, education is a business and the teachers union runs education in our state.  If TUSD track record with Heritage is an example, they will only open OH to K-8 after an increase in MR.  I wouldn't be surprised to see an increase in MR for the Groves II tied to a commitment to extend OH School.

Principal's within the District also fight for students.  Think each child is worth 11k per year.  Schools will do all kinds of things to increase enrollment prior to norm day.  The more senior principal will generally hold more influence over the Board and likely keep their classrooms at full capacity.

I don't live within TUSD's boundaries, but it looks like all of these discussions need to be taken one step further. It is in the best interest to find an OH resident, or Legacy now, who has some experience with K-12 education and have them seek a seat on school board. Otherwise keep commenting, but don't expect any meaningful change.

The OH folks need to assemble in numbers the way Columbus square residents at TUSD and city council meetings. There were several people in Columbus square who where very passionate and spearheaded the effort. Though city council meetings probably don't make sense for OH residents since they are irvine residents

Kangen.Irvine said:
I don't live within TUSD's boundaries, but it looks like all of these discussions need to be taken one step further. It is in the best interest to find an OH resident, or Legacy now, who has some experience with K-12 education and have them seek a seat on school board. Otherwise keep commenting, but don't expect any meaningful change.

How would one go about seeking to be part of the school board?

qwerty said:
The OH folks need to assemble in numbers the way Columbus square residents at TUSD and city council meetings. There were several people in Columbus square who where very passionate and spearheaded the effort. Though city council meetings probably don't make sense for OH residents since they are irvine residents

And what did they accomplish?  Nothing.  The city would have passed those bonds anyway like they always do and the school is still opening 6 years late.

That is the TUSD way........ Been like that since I bought in Tustin Ranch in the early phases of Tustin Ranch 26 years ago. Disappointing that it's still the same game there all these years later with a different superintendent.

TUSD, hope and pray for the best but don't count on it. Be prepared to drive your kids for years to other schools, put them in private school or move.

It's been more than two years since we started this thread, SEVEN years since OH school opened, and there is still no K-4. I feel bad for OH residents paying high MR and only getting part of a school open. Well it looks like there might be some hope--I just got an email about an upcoming meeting:

Orchard Hills K-8 Parent Information Session

Tustin Unified School District

December 5th

6:00pm-7:30pm

Hicks Canyon Elementary School in the Large Multipurpose Room

"This meeting is for Orchard Hills residents to discuss possible plans of opening the Orchard Hills K-5 Elementary site."

iacrenter said:
It's been more than two years since we started this thread, SEVEN years since OH school opened, and there is still no K-4. I feel bad for OH residents paying high MR and only getting part of a school open. Well it looks like there might be some hope--I just got an email about an upcoming meeting:

Orchard Hills K-8 Parent Information Session

Tustin Unified School District

December 5th

6:00pm-7:30pm

Hicks Canyon Elementary School in the Large Multipurpose Room

"This meeting is for Orchard Hills residents to discuss possible plans of opening the Orchard Hills K-5 Elementary site."

Great News! I will be there to support the cause.

Got another email yesterday from TUSD confirming the upcoming meeting:

"Hello OH Family - There will be an Orchard Hills K-8 Parent Information Session on December 5th from 6:00 - 7:30 in Hicks Canyon Large Multipurpose Room.  This meeting is for Orchard Hills residents to discuss possible plans of opening the Orchard Hills K-5 Elementary site.  Please contact Tustin Unified School District if you have any questions. Thanks!"

I unfortunately won't be able to make it to the meeting tomorrow. If any of you happen to go, be sure to tell us how it went.

If you can't make the meeting tonight, it looks like they will have a second meeting on December 7th at 8:30am.

"This is a message to remind you that Tustin Unified School District will be holding a parent meeting tomorrow evening (December 5) from 6-7:30pm in the Large MPR building to discuss possible plans of opening the Orchard Hills K-5 Elementary site.  Another morning meeting will be held on December 7 at 8:30-10:00am (morning drop off) if you are unable to make the meeting tomorrow evening.  We look forward to seeing all parents of future Orchard Hills students who live within the Orchard Hills school boundaries.  If you know of future Orchard Hills Kindergarten parents, please welcome them to attend this meeting too.  We look forward to seeing you all tomorrow evening or Thursday morning."

Alright.  K-8 in Orchard Hills is very close to happening.
For the residents that are interested in enrolling for OH K-4 in 2018-2019, please fill out the form in the below link.
http://www.tustin.k12.ca.us/schools/orchard-hills-interest-form

By January 5, 2018 if they have adequate interest/count based on the completed form from the above link, they will open up and initially expand the school in 2018-2019.  They will make room by moving 5th grade classes to other schools.

If you are planning to send your child starting in 2019-2020 and beyond, please email that you are interested to - bsilvers@tustin.k12.ca.us

Spread the word and make this happen.

my son would go to orchard hills kindergarten next year if open.  hope everyone possible fills out the forms.

Nice. Thanks for the update Goriot and the link. I will be attending the Thur morning meeting but definitely will fill this form out. Although we love Hicks, OH school is so much closer and more convenient.

They just approved K-8 expansion at OH school!

This email just came through:

Dear Orchard Hills Area Residents and Stakeholders,

Last evening, the TUSD Board of Education voted unanimously to expand Orchard Hills School to a K-8 environment beginning in the 2018-19 school year.  This is a decision that many in the area have been waiting for, and your patience is appreciated.  I want to thank everyone who took the time to complete the online commitment form as well.  I know the Board found the data your responses provided (along with the feedback received at the various community information sessions) to be vital in this decision. 

In summary, the TUSD Board took the following action last evening:
Grades K-4 will be added to Orchard Hills School for the 2018-19 school year.  This will make Orchard Hills School a K-8 site.
Hicks Canyon Elementary will add fifth grade for the 2018-19 school year.
Current Myford Elementary fourth-grade students residing North of Champion Way have the opportunity to stay at Myford through the end of fifth grade. 

We want to make this transition as easy as possible for all involved.  Please do your best to honor the commitment your family has selected on the online commitment form.  This will help us plan for classes, technology, furniture and staffing at each site for next year.  Please also continue to work with our Student Services Office or your local elementary school regarding any questions you may have.

Important notes about transfers/enrollment for 2018-19:

If you are currently attending Hicks Canyon Elementary ((and are a resident of Orchard Hills (framed by Hwy 261/Portola Parkway/IUSD Boarder)) and you elected (through the online commitment form) to have your student stay at Hicks Canyon for next year, there is no need to seek a transfer.  There is also no need to seek a transfer if your student resides North of Champion Way and you wish to have your student remain at Myford Elementary for fifth grade in 2018-19.  Orchard Hills residents will need to provide proof of residency in the OH boundary when enrolling at Orchard Hills School for 2018-19.  If you do not reside within the Orchard Hills attendance area, you would have to seek a transfer in order to attend Orchard Hills School for 2018-19.  Only limited transfer space is available at Orchard Hills and Hicks Canyon.  Our normal transfer process will be applied for any available slots.  The transfer window is currently open from now through Feb. 9th.  You may apply for transfer either online (http://www.tustin.k12.ca.us/schools) or in person at the TUSD District Office. 

We look forward to this exciting expansion!

Thank you to everyone that assisted to expand Orchard Hills School:

Last evening, the TUSD Board of Education voted unanimously to expand Orchard Hills School to a K-8 environment beginning in the 2018-19 school year.  This is a decision that many in the area have been waiting for, and your patience is appreciated.  I want to thank everyone who took the time to complete the online commitment form as well.  I know the Board found the data your responses provided (along with the feedback received at the various community information sessions) to be vital in this decision. 

In summary, the TUSD Board took the following action last evening:
? Grades K-4 will be added to Orchard Hills School for the 2018-19 school year.  This will make Orchard Hills School a K-8 site.
? Hicks Canyon Elementary will add fifth grade for the 2018-19 school year.
? Current Myford Elementary fourth-grade students residing North of Champion Way have the opportunity to stay at Myford through the end of fifth grade. 

Back