Orchard Hills Community TUSD Side - Please Enroll Kids

Exactly, oh should be assigned to orchard hills k-8 and northwood high, less wasted traffic and congestion since some would walk, and high schoolers can bike (that is if kids even do that these days...).  Proximity was key in why we didn't consider Strada, elementary, jr high, high school didn't make sense

Villager said:
The biggest difference between the Columbus Square situation and the Orchard Hills situation is that the infrastructure is already present at OH. It?s seriously no surprise as per why the school has remained a 5-8 school for this long; the school has been around for 5 years (entering its 6th year), and people have began moving in to its immediate surrounding area only about 6 months ago. Hicks Canyon will surely reach its overflow capacity very soon as a result of the new OH move-ins, and TUSD will [ideally] begin to open the K-4 classrooms as a result. Hiring new teachers to fill up existing infrastructure is not a difficult job to do; there is certainly no shortage of new teachers to hire.

Heritage Elementary School has been built years ago, and the facilities have been used by administration and continuation school.  This isn't a question of infrastructure...Orchard and Heritage are on equal footing as far as facilities are concerned.  This is TUSD's lack of transparency, commitment, and accountability to the residents that they are supposed to service.  "Hiring new teachers to fill up existing infrastructure is not a difficult job to do"...ABSOLUTELY AGREE.  Too bad TUSD continues to drag their feet at Heritage, and by the looks of it, at Orchard as well.

eyephone said:
TJinOH said:
My children are not of kindergarten age.  They will be in 2 years.  Should I "register" them somehow so TUSD knows that there are kids who need the school?

If you lived in the IUSD side, you wouldn't have to be thinking about "pre-registering" and thinking about your kids school future.

We are on the TUSD side. We selected this side specifically for the thoughts of having our kids being walking distance from their elementary and junior high. 

If there's a pre-registration process that could help nudge things along somewhat, I think it would be ideal to pass that information along to the whole community through either community events, flyers, or news letters.

@TJinOH

I bought for the same exact reason...And I agree that everyone in the neighborhood should be made aware of the situation.

And this is why buyers must expect accurate answers from sellers when viewing their homes. Information lacks details for Tustin Legacy homes, Baker Ranch homes, southwest Great Park homes, and even Portola Springs has experienced changing scenarios.

It might be my favorite question to ask the developers...what schools will my children attend and they usually don't know. We must hold the developers and Districts accountable BEFORE buying since the MR affect our areas.

Out of the area, but RSM experiences a divided city between SVUSD and CUSD.

Is there any way a class action lawsuit can be filed.
So if a family expecting a child bought in Columbus grove thinking that a school will be built soon, sure some delays are inevitable, but if that kid already graduated college then all those years paying MR specifically for a school bond, justified for a claim?

AW said:
Hopefully BP won't face the same fate

Tusd really need to step it up

Beacon Park Elementary is already under construction and will open Fall 2016.  Heritage in CS was built 5 years ago and MIGHT open Fall 2016.  TUSD is in a pissing match with the city of Tustin right now with additional funding and MR.

TUSD has had no incentive to step it up.  The incumbents keep getting re-elected year after year, and none of the new candidates even put the Legacy schools on their docket.  It's simply not on their radars, or if it is, it's just a faded blip.

Any lawyer willing to take this up, paying for something for that long sounds fraudulent. Especially if it's a very specific MR bond tied to building a school

AW said:
Is there any way a class action lawsuit can be filed.
So if a family expecting a child bought in Columbus grove thinking that a school will be built soon, sure some delays are inevitable, but if that kid already graduated college then all those years paying MR specifically for a school bond, justified for a claim?

I think you mean Columbus Square. Columbus Grove is all IUSD.

TUSD Elementary School Enrollment Information:

http://www.tustin.k12.ca.us/site/default.aspx?PageType=3&DomainID=32&ModuleInstanceID=67&ViewID=047E6BE3-6D87-4130-8424-D8E4E9ED6C2A&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=9447&PageID=58

I'm only guessing, but I don't see TUSD opening Orchard Hills to K-8th for another 2+ years.  They are going to need to furnish classrooms, hire staff and most importantly FILL SEATS.  That all takes time.  Unfortunately, education is a numbers game and the District gets paid per seat.  Just like the airlines, they need to keep every seat filled.

What seems to be more concerning is that kids from Orchard Hills go to Beckman HS verse Northwood HS.  Northwood is a 2 minute walk and is surrounded by Orchard Hills on 3 sides.  Beckman is a drive.  Can parents in Orchard Hills petition to get their HS kids into Northwood?

OCNewHome said:
I'm only guessing, but I don't see TUSD opening Orchard Hills to K-8th for another 2+ years.  They are going to need to furnish classrooms, hire staff and most importantly FILL SEATS.  That all takes time.  Unfortunately, education is a numbers game and the District gets paid per seat.  Just like the airlines, they need to keep every seat filled.

What seems to be more concerning is that kids from Orchard Hills go to Beckman HS verse Northwood HS.  Northwood is a 2 minute walk and is surrounded by Orchard Hills on 3 sides.  Beckman is a drive.  Can parents in Orchard Hills petition to get their HS kids into Northwood?

I doubt this would fly. IUSD doesn't take inter-district transfers. There's always Strada if you want SFR but zoned to Northwood high, or wait until the next phases of Orchard Hills opens on the IUSD side.

OCNewHome said:

Are you aware the two schools are in different districts?  Not that simple. Plus once one exception is made, the whole neighborhood is going to want it. Ain't gonna happen.

Orchard parents need to find an academic program unique to Northwood and be certain it is not offered at any other TUSD HS. This is the way so many students from outside of SVUSD end up "preparing to be farmers" while playing football at Mission Viejo HS.

It's wrong and I disagree with the high school switch, but it's what people do.

Perhaps the Groves could sponsor avocado farming at Northwood HS.

@OcNewHome

All the classrooms at Orchard Hills School are currently furnished and filled with students in grades 5 -8. That's why none of this makes sense. If TUSD went with the Boundaries that are currently in place, they could fill the school with students K-8. Not sure what the real issue is... Hicks Elementary has gone from a teacher:student ration of 22:1 to 33:1.

Orchard Hills School won't be up and running as a full K-8 for at least 5 years.  TUSD is not exactly known for their adherence to any real schedules.  They only agreed to open Heritage in CS to secure additional MR funding in the area.  Even that was at risk because TUSD wanted to increase the MR and the city was reluctant.  Money talks, s#!t walks.

Back