Ooma as a landline replacement

irvinehusky said:
Next time we fax Japan, I'm going to see if our fax has any of these setting and if so try the recommendations and see if it helps with the sending. The receiving of faxes seem to be o.k.
http://www.voipmechanic.com/voip-fax-settings.htm

The other issue I've had with having a fax device is that since I have to keep autoanswer on the fax on, I have to have it pick up first.  Otherwise, the Ooma will pick up and the fax will not work.  I could turn off the autoanswer on the fax device until I need it but with faxes, you never know when the other side will send you a fax.  I would prefer to use the voice mail on Ooma though since our old phone/fax device message doesn't sound that good.

I had trouble sending faxes originally with Ooma a few years ago.  I don't remember what setting but I had to go into the Ooma unit configuration with a web browser (connect the PC to the Ooma unit) and change some values (I think it was to increase the bit rate) and never had a problem since.  I have faxed locally, to the mid-west/east coast and to Europe without issue since.

Ooma with bluetooth is only $89.99 at Amazon (today only).  It is usually hovering at around $139 for the last few month.  Finally pulled the triggered to replace our Cox phoneline in a couple of month when our bundle pricing expire as we don't need it anymore with our new home security system.

I have the older version. Got it when the newer version came out in 2008 that required some monthly payments. The old ones were grandfathered in and not one penny oop (no taxes, nothing) after we bought it. Only issue is you won't have the use of the phone when the internet is down (same as any other VOIP phone).

Because you can plug in your fax machine using ooma.
You know.  Fax machines circa 1999!

Jace said:
why NOT just get a cell phone with wifi calling?

Mainly for convenience (don't want to keep of having to look for where we left our cellphone) and to have an extra number to give to non-important contacts / vendors / applications etc so that we don't get a lot of non-important calls on the cell.

Back