Ooma as a landline replacement

If you have Cox Internet and phone bundle, when you cut out the phone service, they will quickly remind you that you will have to start paying $9.9X per month for the modem rental, which was waived when you had the bundle.  So, if you don't have one already, you would need to purchase a cable modem (or keep paying that fee forever - robbery).  One other thing for me was that there was a monthly fee to insure the inside wires (I didn't have to pay for it so I didn't care - less issues to worry about).  But when I removed the phone services, they did not automatically take that monthly charge out.  When I called Cox about it, they were like "oh, you want to cancel that too?" like why would I need it through Cox if I didn't have the phone service any more?

One other thing.  :p  When I disconnected the phone service, the "previous" month's international calls all of a sudden went from about $0.05 per minute to like $4.00 per minute (the default robbery international rates).  Fortunately, when I called to complain, they just removed the whole international call charges and then lowered my monthly Internet fee a bit.

ps9 said:
If he got the ooma air telo from Costco, it has the wireless adapter.  It's on sale, hence its at $109, which is the same price as the base ooma telo which is also at $109.

What is the difference between the two versions?

lovingit said:
ps9 said:
If he got the ooma air telo from Costco, it has the wireless adapter.  It's on sale, hence its at $109, which is the same price as the base ooma telo which is also at $109.

Wireless adapter

ps9 said:
lovingit said:
ps9 said:

Wireless adapter

Ps9, there was another one for $149. I can't remember why it was more. It had more than just the wireless adapter.

c18d3147a1f65f51b1dc95cc068b2115_zps44636cfe.jpg

There's the one with the phone and one with the Linx.

So if you have the Linx, you can connect a fax wirelessly to it? Don't you still need to hardwire the phone line from the fax machine to the ooma?

shadyoc said:
So if you have the Linx, you can connect a fax wirelessly to it? Don't you still need to hardwire the phone line from the fax machine to the ooma?

It works but you hard wire the phone line out of the fax machine and into the linx, then the linx wirelessly transmits the fax data to the base.  The base can be either wired to the router or wireless with adapter.

irvinehusky said:
Sorry to bring up an old post but I got an Ooma several months ago and it's working fine.  However, I have the phone connected directly to Ooma.  Therefore, only this one phone works.  I know a few posts up, IHO mentioned another thread which kind of touched on how to enable the wiring to get Ooma to talk to all the phones in the home like before and I corresponded with Davenlai but I wasn't that interested then since I had Cox voice.

I hope Davenlei or someone else can help me with my issue.

Previous setup:

Cox Internet with voice. 

In my home office, there was the Cox modem/phone combo.  The Cox modem/phone device plugged into a RJ45 jackbox in the office.  No phone was in the office.

In my master bedroom, another RJ45 jackbox connected to another phone which worked.

In the kitchen, another phone was plugged in and worked.

New setup:

Cox Internet but canceled the voice service.  I returned the Cox modem/phone combo device and purchase my own cable modem.  Internet works well.

Purchase Ooma Telo and connected that to the LAN and voice call send/receive is working fine.

I wanted the phone in the kitchen and master bedroom to work as before so I went outside to the phone demarc and disconnected the two short RJ45 cable on right side of demarc.  Please see attachment.

When I plug in the Ooma directly into the RJ45 jackbox in my office, I do not get dial tone on the phone in the master bedroom or the kitchen.

Just as a check, I took a very long telephone cable and plugged the Ooma directly into the RJ45 at the kitchen and tried the phone in master bedroom.  No dial tone.

Therefore, it looks like when I unplugged the two short RJ45 cables on the outside demarc, it seems like the connections between the three RJ45s (office, kitchen and master bedroom) got severed as well.  It's no big deal since I can just plug those two outside short RJ45s back in but then at least one of them would connect me back to the Telco connection.  Before I disconnected the two short outside RJ45 cables, I had an extra phone cable so I cut it and stripped off the four wires to test them for voltage with my digital voltmeter at the kitchen port but I measured no voltage (No 9V DC). And yes I was testing for DC voltage, not AC.  I think the green and red are the ones but I tried every pair combo but measured no voltage between any of them.

I remember when Cox originally installed the digital voice the tech had trouble getting it to work and did something outside.  When you have Cox digital voice do they disconnect the phone company connection as well?

I appreciate any suggestions.  Ooma tech support is useless.  Originally when I set up the Ooma, I got a number that would dial out but not in.  After ringing the number a while, some business' voice mail would play.  They could not make it work so after about five calls I told them that the number had issues and to give me a new number.  And that worked.  ::) I did not want to keep my original number because a realtor incorrectly put my number on her Web sites and after years of asking to have this corrected, she never once responded to my e-mails or calls.  I kept getting calls about her listing.  So, I wasn't sad to lose that number.

Sorry for the long post.

Whoops.  Sorry irvinehusky.  I have not been checking this site for some time.  I have been dealing with some personal needs the past several months and finally had a bit of time today. 
Is everything working for you with the Ooma now or do you need some help still?

Can you connect a splitter to have the phone base + fax machine connect directly to the Ooma Telo Air?  I don't know if I need to buy the Linx just so I can have phone and fax connect to it.  Will the cheaper Telo Air suffice?  I know there is only one jack that connects to the Telo.

shadyoc said:
Can you connect a splitter to have the phone base + fax machine connect directly to the Ooma Telo Air?  I don't know if I need to buy the Linx just so I can have phone and fax connect to it.  Will the cheaper Telo Air suffice?  I know there is only one jack that connects to the Telo.

I believe so, at least in the instructions they mentioned using a splitter if you don't need/have a dedicated fax line.  But the problem I have is sending the fax:  looks like the receiving end fax machine has trouble with VOIP.  I tried for about 15 minutes the other day but couldn't get it to work.  Didn't use a splitter, I hear the handshake but it just craps out afterwards.  This is over wifi and then with a wired connection behind my router.  Both failed.  Instructions suggest putting Ooma before the router, so the connection goes from cable modem to Ooma then router.  Didn't try that, got frustrated and just brought it to work to fax.

Thank you for asking. Everything is working fine now except for fax sending to Japan to our inlaws.  But this issue was there when we had Cox voice so I don't think it is Ooma related.  Our phone/fax combo is getting old so we'll eventually swap it out and hopefully that'll fix this issue.  I was hoping changing to Ooma would correct this issue but it did not.  We do dial *99 before each fax.  We don't fax anywhere else so it could be an issue down there as well but they won't do anything about it.  Nor will they get Internet access. :p

davenlei said:
Whoops.  Sorry irvinehusky.  I have not been checking this site for some time.  I have been dealing with some personal needs the past several months and finally had a bit of time today. 
Is everything working for you with the Ooma now or do you need some help still?

ps9 said:
shadyoc said:

I believe so, at least in the instructions they mentioned using a splitter if you don't need/have a dedicated fax line.  But the problem I have is sending the fax:  looks like the receiving end fax machine has trouble with VOIP.  I tried for about 15 minutes the other day but couldn't get it to work.  Didn't use a splitter, I hear the handshake but it just craps out afterwards.  This is over wifi and then with a wired connection behind my router.  Both failed.  Instructions suggest putting Ooma before the router, so the connection goes from cable modem to Ooma then router.  Didn't try that, got frustrated and just brought it to work to fax.

That's no good. I knew there was a catch to a landline replacement. Anyone successfully get fax to work can share how?

ps9's story is interesting because I had the same issue with trying to fax ETrade (using Cox telephone which is technically VOIP).

Anyone need a plumber? :)

Next time we fax Japan, I'm going to see if our fax has any of these setting and if so try the recommendations and see if it helps with the sending. The receiving of faxes seem to be o.k.
http://www.voipmechanic.com/voip-fax-settings.htm

The other issue I've had with having a fax device is that since I have to keep autoanswer on the fax on, I have to have it pick up first.  Otherwise, the Ooma will pick up and the fax will not work.  I could turn off the autoanswer on the fax device until I need it but with faxes, you never know when the other side will send you a fax.  I would prefer to use the voice mail on Ooma though since our old phone/fax device message doesn't sound that good.

Back