OHR...Worth it or not?

firsthomebuyer said:
Just would like to see you guys' input...

I am planning to get OHR's Vivo home... the Plan 1, about 1900 sq ft.

With only 3 bedroom, do you guys think it's worth to pay 1.03 million for this home? Seems like the Plan 1 is not selling well with many homes left from the previous phase.

What about IP's build quality and reputation?

Sorry for any dumb questions!

Any comments would be appreciated :)

Welcome to the TI hood. No such thing as a dumb question but expect to get quite a few dumb answers. Hopefully you lurked around the forum for a bit to get a feel of the variety of personalities and biased opinions (without regard to any of those pesky facts) you will receive. Quite a few really intelligent people on this forum - of course, quite a few of the "other" kind. Caveat Emptor! I have found that the general consensus on TI generally is a contrarian indicator - just my 2 cents.

I compared Vivo sales from my 1/30/18 post until today and found this out:

On 1/30/18 they had released 26 home sites and sold 15 and today they have released 43 home sites and sold 36. 21 sales in 4 months is pretty decent. Of these 8 were Plan 1, 5 Plan 2, 6 Plan 3, and 2 Plan 4.

Looks like they increased prices by $90K for Plan 2 and $100K for Plan 3. Plan 1 prices didn't seem to move so possibly this plan was "priced to sell". Not really an indicator of resale values though. Some just gotta have new no matter the costs.

Plan 4 is located on the 14 view lots. It's essentially a modified Plan 2 with added windows on the view side of the house. Looks like they are charging a $120K premium for the view.

There are plus and minuses for every neighborhood, every tract inside the neighborhood, and each floor plan inside the tract. Of course one person's minus might be another's plus and vice versa. These have been been discussed in numerous places throughout the forum but the only thing that matters is what you think. I have been critical of IP floor plans in the past and particularly of their site layout to maximize views where possible. They easily could have plotted these buildings to increase the number of homes that have views plus had the view from the rear of the home rather than the side which might even allow second story balconies. IP laid out Como much better than Vivo in this regard. The overall tract is kind of set apart from the rest of the community so you know how much IP values this tract. And I enjoy the fact that each home has this wall of sliding doors in the Great Room to maximize the enjoyment of the typical back view - a small backyard with a 6' block wall! And the homes that have views...well a sea of red mission tile roofs with peak-a-boo ocean views on crystal clear days.

Keep in mind that over 95% of those who buy IP products do not hang out in this forum. I have purchased two homes from IP and found them to be better than average when compared to other builders I have purchased from. Highly subjective from a limited cross section and remember your mileage may vary. The design center was hit and miss when it came to selection, quality, and design assistance. I liked my last design consultant more than the first and we came up with a design plan that was later adopted as one of the standard upgraded design configurations. Customer service was much better on the second home also. No complaints there. IP takes their surveys seriously and they even boast that their designs are driven by market research, which I appreciate, although that often leads to homes that feel more pedestrian that don't really feel luxurious but again my 2 cents. After I filled out my one year survey honestly I had two IP VPs call me up and requested a face to face chat. We talked about my concerns and they actually listened so a big thumbs up there!

Good luck with your decision.   

Attachments

• Vivo Site.JPG
    Vivo Site.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Vivo Prices.JPG
    Vivo Prices.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 182
Everybody knows TI is for entertainment purposes only.

DrTravel said:
firsthomebuyer said:
Just would like to see you guys' input...

I am planning to get OHR's Vivo home... the Plan 1, about 1900 sq ft.

With only 3 bedroom, do you guys think it's worth to pay 1.03 million for this home? Seems like the Plan 1 is not selling well with many homes left from the previous phase.

What about IP's build quality and reputation?

Sorry for any dumb questions!

Any comments would be appreciated :)

Welcome to the TI hood. No such thing as a dumb question but expect to get quite a few dumb answers. Hopefully you lurked around the forum for a bit to get a feel of the variety of personalities and biased opinions (without regard to any of those pesky facts) you will receive. Quite a few really intelligent people on this forum - of course, quite a few of the "other" kind. Caveat Emptor! I have found that the general consensus on TI generally is a contrarian indicator - just my 2 cents.

I compared Vivo sales from my 1/30/18 post until today and found this out:

On 1/30/18 they had released 26 home sites and sold 15 and today they have released 43 home sites and sold 36. 21 sales in 4 months is pretty decent. Of these 8 were Plan 1, 5 Plan 2, 6 Plan 3, and 2 Plan 4.

Looks like they increased prices by $90K for Plan 2 and $100K for Plan 3. Plan 1 prices didn't seem to move so possibly this plan was "priced to sell". Not really an indicator of resale values though. Some just gotta have new no matter the costs.

Plan 4 is located on the 14 view lots. It's essentially a modified Plan 2 with added windows on the view side of the house. Looks like they are charging a $120K premium for the view.

There are plus and minuses for every neighborhood, every tract inside the neighborhood, and each floor plan inside the tract. Of course one person's minus might be another's plus and vice versa. These have been been discussed in numerous places throughout the forum but the only thing that matters is what you think. I have been critical of IP floor plans in the past and particularly of their site layout to maximize views where possible. They easily could have plotted these buildings to increase the number of homes that have views plus had the view from the rear of the home rather than the side which might even allow second story balconies. IP laid out Como much better than Vivo in this regard. The overall tract is kind of set apart from the rest of the community so you know how much IP values this tract. And I enjoy the fact that each home has this wall of sliding doors in the Great Room to maximize the enjoyment of the typical back view - a small backyard with a 6' block wall! And the homes that have views...well a sea of red mission tile roofs with peak-a-boo ocean views on crystal clear days.

Keep in mind that over 95% of those who buy IP products do not hang out in this forum. I have purchased two homes from IP and found them to be better than average when compared to other builders I have purchased from. Highly subjective from a limited cross section and remember your mileage may vary. The design center was hit and miss when it came to selection, quality, and design assistance. I liked my last design consultant more than the first and we came up with a design plan that was later adopted as one of the standard upgraded design configurations. Customer service was much better on the second home also. No complaints there. IP takes their surveys seriously and they even boast that their designs are driven by market research, which I appreciate, although that often leads to homes that feel more pedestrian that don't really feel luxurious but again my 2 cents. After I filled out my one year survey honestly I had two IP VPs call me up and requested a face to face chat. We talked about my concerns and they actually listened so a big thumbs up there!

Good luck with your descison. 

So if someone bought in July of 2006, the median 4 bedroom was about $1M, in January of 2018, the median was about $1.2M. Using your ROI math doesn?t that come out to almost negative (or actually negative?) ROI if one were to cash out today (sales proceeds - commissions - HOA - property taxes - gardener - insurance)? Commission at 5% is 60K, insurance for 12 years about 14k, HOA at 100/month about 14k, property taxes of 120k assumes no MR, gardener 7k. That?s about 215k. Negative ROI of 15k.

Timing matters. It?s easy to cherry pick tons of examples from 2011-2013 to now. You make it seem like appreciation is taking candy from a baby.

We were lucky to buy in the summer of 2012 :)

Delano Delano Delano.

BTB needs to start TalkDelano already.

I don't buy based on appreciation or ROI, I buy based on location, features, functionality, and affordability. We hope for ROI, but in the end, it's where we live.

Now if I were buying based on investment, I might consider an attached townhome, but not at the top of the price range... I would rather get one of those sub $1m SFRs that BTB started a thread for, no HOA/MRs, fix it up and rent it out.

Burn That Belly said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Delano Delano Delano.

BTB needs to start TalkDelano already.

I don't buy based on appreciation or ROI, I buy based on location, features, functionality, and affordability. We hope for ROI, but in the end, it's where we live.

Now if I were buying based on investment, I might consider an attached townhome, but not at the top of the price range... I would rather get one of those sub $1m SFRs that BTB started a thread for, no HOA/MRs, fix it up and rent it out.

You mad bro?

But you're supposed to worship your God and follow his teachings:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Everyone cares about the property value including non-chinese. Who wants to get stuck with a property that will not resale well. Everyone is assuming the next buyer will be likely Chinese.

Nah, he wants to be freinds. See how he's responding every thread you write? Yeah, I think he likes you.

Not mad... just trying to see what it takes to get on your "Silenced" list. :)

You should change that to "Afraid to listen to 2 TI Members".

You can't be a Kung-Fu Master if you are scared of opponents.

#WhoDaMaster

Since Delano increased in price so much in such a short time, does that mean Brookfield made a mistake in their phase 1 pricing?
Did Brookfield lose millions?

When a developer loses millions like this I wonder if anyone gets fired.
The Marywood hills development by New Homes Co. I was tracking in Orange started off with the view lots at 2.1 million.  They're now 1.9 million cause they overpriced it. 

In the Summer of 2017 (before models were finished) they were advertising them for 1.8 million.

zubs said:
When a developer loses millions like this I wonder if anyone gets fired.
The Marywood hills development by New Homes Co. I was tracking in Orange started off with the view lots at 2.1 million.  They're now 1.9 million cause they overpriced it. 

In the Summer of 2017 (before models were finished) they were advertising them for 1.8 million.

With all due respect. I would not buy Marywood.

Went to the Marywood models, way overpriced and feels like you're driving through an old ugly neighborhood to get to your nice pocket.  Homes are nice, lots of old white ladys in the house saying how amazing the view was.... meh, it was nice but nothing like OH reserve views.  Even many of the views in Foothill Ranch/LF are better.  The view at Marywood felt kind of like you were overlooking LA.

#irvinebubble, i know.

Back