Obamacare on Life Support article

The Republicans blamed all healthcare ills on ACA for years, and promised a quick repeal. Trump simply piggybacked on this trolling. There are consequences to oversimplifying a complex issue and promising a quick and easy fix. It's a lie, and the Right cannot fix rising healthcare costs easily. Oh well, healthcare is the Right's problem now...

Angry Constituents Hammer Tom Cotton At Town Hall: ?Do Your Job?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tom-cotton-town-hall-arkansas_us_58ae22e7e4b057efdce8e110?fgg59u5s1bajj1yvi&

Perspective said:
The Republicans blamed all healthcare ills on ACA for years

Hasn't Obamacare only been active since 2014?

I read somewhere some stats that said healthcare costs rose higher from 2005-2010 than it did from 2011-2016 however weren't insurance companies raising rates due to the upcoming legislation of ACA in 2010? And considering it didn't go wide until 2014, the stats are a bit skewed.

Seems alternative facty to me.

irvinehomeowner said:
Perspective said:
The Republicans blamed all healthcare ills on ACA for years

I read somewhere some stats that said healthcare costs rose higher from 2005-2010 than it did from 2011-2016 however weren't insurance companies raising rates due to the upcoming legislation of ACA in 2010? And considering it didn't go wide until 2014, the stats are a bit skewed.

Seems alternative facty to me.

Healthcare costs have exceeded inflation for many years before Obama even became president. ACA provided the Right a scapegoat for rising healthcare costs after its enactment. ACA eliminated some high deductible / low coverage healthcare plans that some folks loved (healthy folks who purchase health ins outside of an employer), which caused their costs to rise significantly.

You are right in a roundabout way.  There is little upside in repeal.  This is like putting the fire out when the ship has already burned to the waterline. Best to let it slip under the waves on its own and concentrate on picking up survivors.  Contrary to what you may think Trump supporters realize this and will let it slide if this option is taken. One way or another its going away and that is what matters to us.

morekaos said:
You are right in a roundabout way.  There is little upside in repeal.  This is like putting the fire out when the ship has already burned to the waterline. Best to let it slip under the waves on its own and concentrate on picking up survivors.  Contrary to what you may think Trump supporters realize this and will let it slide if this option is taken. One way or another its going away and that is what matters to us.

What exactly is "going away"? Are we going to keep the many features people like, and eliminate the features people dislike? That won't work well. Is there a plan you support?

This is especially funny, after hearing Trump today say they were focusing first on repealing ObamaCare. Day One was a month ago Mr. President. What's the hold-up? You promised action on this horrible devastating program. Terrible! Believe me!

Boehner ?Started Laughing? When Republicans Vowed to Replace Obamacarehttp://finance.yahoo.com/news/boehner-started-laughing-republicans-vowed-202900998.html

Obamacare just hit its highest popularity everhttps://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/obamacare-just-hit-highest-popularity-223048101.html

irvinehomeowner said:
The ACA started screwing my family over (multiple times) around 2010. 

I got kicked off a good plan.
My new plan was a little worse, but 30% new expensive.
My son couldn't get health coverage for about 6 months because of problems with wordings that needed to be resolved.
Certain prices of things skyrocketed.

sigh

Perspective said:
Healthcare costs have exceeded inflation for many years before Obama even became president.
Prices couldn't go at that pace forever.  The math doesn't work out.  At the time, people were not familiar with Obama.  People wanted cheaper health care.  People were promised cheaper health care.  People elected Obama for cheaper health care.

Perspective said:
ACA provided the Right a scapegoat for rising healthcare costs after its enactment.
For good reason, as it did put in measures that allowed health care prices to go up outside of economic forces.

I can't argue whether Obamacare caused prices to rise faster than our previous system.  There's no accurate or adequate scientific control.  Much like you can't argue that Obamacare actually helped curb price increases.

IMO, the ACA attacked a lot of false premises.  It made a villain out of the insurance companies and it dishonestly deceived people into thinking insurance companies played a much bigger role in the price increases.  Maybe insurance companies did deserve to be villainized, but the justification was all wrong.

On a side note.  I am in favor of single payer.  Candidate Obama hated the ACA and said he would not sign it unless it was single payer.  He also promised that the bill would be available to the public for a period of time before he signed it.  (A couple of promises he broke)

Leaked Bill Shows How House Republicans Would Dismantle Obamacare
More uninsured people, more exposure to medical costs ? and a new tax on employer insurance.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/republicans-obamacare-repeal_us_58b094d5e4b060480e07d079?wgz9gvvueu55klnmi&

Delivering on promises...Winning!!

Without a formal analysis from the Congressional Budget Office ? and without careful study by outside experts, most of whom hadn?t seen the legislation until Friday ? it?s difficult to say exactly how the law might affect premiums, generosity of coverage, the federal budget or the overall number of people with insurance.

Some people would clearly feel better off. Young people, for instance, could buy cheaper insurance ? particularly if they were willing to get less comprehensive coverage than the law currently requires.

If we do this we will hasten the sprint for Bankruptcy which means, it is going to pass.

California to weigh single-payer, universal health care plan

SACRAMENTO ? In a surprise move made in response to President Donald Trump?s push to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, two California lawmakers Friday introduced legislation to replace private medical insurance with a government health care system covering all 38 million Californians ? including its undocumented residents.

?We?ve reached this pivotal moment and I thought to myself: ?Look, now more than ever is the time to talk about universal health care,?? one of Senate Bill 562?s authors, Sen. Ricardo Lara, D-Bell Gardens, said in an interview Friday.

The Healthy California Act, co-authored by Sen. Toni Atkins, D-San Diego, was submitted just before the deadline for new legislation. It doesn?t yet offer many specifics other than the lawmakers? intent: to create a so-called single-payer system that would pay for coverage for everyone.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/17/california-lawmakers-to-introduce-medicare-for-all-health-plan-on-friday/

morekaos said:
If we do this we will hasten the sprint for Bankruptcy which means, it is going to pass.

California to weigh single-payer, universal health care plan

SACRAMENTO ? In a surprise move made in response to President Donald Trump?s push to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, two California lawmakers Friday introduced legislation to replace private medical insurance with a government health care system covering all 38 million Californians ? including its undocumented residents.

?We?ve reached this pivotal moment and I thought to myself: ?Look, now more than ever is the time to talk about universal health care,?? one of Senate Bill 562?s authors, Sen. Ricardo Lara, D-Bell Gardens, said in an interview Friday.

The Healthy California Act, co-authored by Sen. Toni Atkins, D-San Diego, was submitted just before the deadline for new legislation. It doesn?t yet offer many specifics other than the lawmakers? intent: to create a so-called single-payer system that would pay for coverage for everyone.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/17/california-lawmakers-to-introduce-medicare-for-all-health-plan-on-friday/

Cool, because we have a president who knows more about failing and bankruptcy than anyone else. He can manage the state through the process.

In all seriousness though, this is a ridiculous idea. We can't fix these issue in a vacuum.

Trump doesn?t have a clue about healthcare
http://medcitynews.com/2017/02/trump-healthcare/

In a press briefing Monday morning, President Donald Trump said, according to multiple news outlets ? not all of them ?fake,? either ? that, ?Nobody knew that healthcare could be so complicated.? Um, what? All Trump had to do is ask any of his policy staff about how complicated healthcare is.
Trump?s ridiculous statement Monday apparently was his realization that his promise from October was an oversimplification in the context of a heated campaign. Then, he said, ?You?re going to have such great healthcare at a tiny fraction of the cost, and it is going to be so easy.?
Yes, healthcare is complicated. No, big payers do not provide care. No, the care that is provided often is not so great, even for VIPs. The president would do well to stop talking so much and start seeing what?s actually happening in the real world.

Yes Commissar..this is the answer to all of California's problems...They've done such a bangup job with light rail and high speed rail we should promote them to be in charge of bigger stuff. Get the ministry of propaganda on this right away!! Its for the children!!

Proponents argue that such plans are not as costly as they appear because new taxes would eliminate the soaring costs of insurance premiums. Boosters also contend that huge savings would come from eliminating the growing mountain of administrative costs ? and high profits ? of insurance companies.

?Quite frankly, we have to cut out the insurance company waste and duplication,? Lara said.

Anna Johnson, whose school-age daughter has a chronic heart condition, put her feelings about insurers more bluntly:

?Cut them out. They?re not good at it. They cause families like ours headaches. Just cut them out.?

Insurance company overhead is not the problem to increasing costs.  As long as they keep attacking that false premise, they wont resolve the issue.  It's a pretty flat percentage and it's pretty low.  Obamacare mandated that it be low, and most companies were already within the Obamacare comfort zone.

I will consider moving out of state if my state taxes go up any more than my insurance costs.  I am barely comfortable as it is.

Can the state create a new agency that's more efficient than say Kaiser?  I realize Kaiser has it's issues, but would the state do a better job?  I don't know.

spootieho said:
Insurance company overhead is not the problem to increasing costs.  As long as they keep attacking that false premise, they wont resolve the issue.  It's a pretty flat percentage and it's pretty low.  Obamacare mandated that it be low, and most companies were already within the Obamacare comfort zone.

I will consider moving out of state if my state taxes go up any more than my insurance costs.  I am barely comfortable as it is.

Can the state create a new agency that's more efficient than say Kaiser?  I realize Kaiser has it's issues, but would the state do a better job?  I don't know.

Again a bit off topic but while you bring up tax funded boondoggles in Cali check out the hits coming from SB1

Setting Us Up for Massive Tax Increases

http://www.capoliticalreview.com/capoliticalnewsandviews/setting-us-up-for-massive-tax-increases/

Trump Speech Revives Campaign Themes But Details Remain Scarcehttps://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...erica-is-ready-to-lead-in-remarks-to-congress

The speech offered few new proposals, and Trump made no suggestions on how he would pay for his plans, including a replacement of Obamacare, a tax overhaul offering cuts for the middle class, $1 trillion in infrastructure investment and a large increase in defense spending.

No new info on how he intends to fix ACA and pay for it.

Back