Obamacare on Life Support article

Yet another mess left by the Obama Administration...They blamed Bush for eight years this will last even longer. Trump is penning the obit now

Humana Plans to Pull Out of Obamacare's Insurance Exchanges

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/health/humana-plans-to-pull-out-of-obamacares-insurance-exchanges.html

Aetna CEO: Obamacare in 'Death Spiral'

Aetna Inc. Chief Executive Officer Mark Bertolini escalated his criticism of the Affordable Care Act, saying Obamacare?s markets are nearing failure as premiums climb and healthier individuals drop out.

?It is in a death spiral,? Bertolini said in a video interview with the Wall Street Journal that aired Wednesday on the newspaper?s website. He predicted that more insurers will drop out of the market for 2018, following Humana Inc.?s decision to quit Obamacare entirely for next year.

Aetna, too, is mulling whether to further reduce its presence in the markets set up by the ACA. The company cut its footprint to four states for this year, from 15, after losing about $450 million on sales of ACA plans last year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-15/aetna-ceo-says-obamacare-in-a-death-spiral-with-sick-customers

If it's so terrible, then repeal it, just like nearly every Republican promised, and Trump promised to do on Day One.

I'd love to stop paying the additional Medicare tax and the net investment income tax.

It's my sincere hope he does...my insurance got destroyed by this mess of a program. All i would want would be my old insurance and my old doctor back but alas even with repeal i probably won't get either.

morekaos said:
It's my sincere hope he does...my insurance got destroyed by this mess of a program. All i would want would be my old insurance and my old doctor back but alas even with repeal i probably won't get either.

It's time to start directing your ire toward the Republicans and the president to repeal TrumpCare as promised.

This one is more than just about cost. It's about avoiding anti-trust litigation.

But Bates said this week the DOJ presented "persuasive support" -- including internal Aetna emails -- for the conclusion that Aetna (AET) withdrew from the Obamacare exchanges in those counties "to improve its litigation position."

It is TrumpCare now. You cannot campaign on how evil something is, how horrible it's been for Americans, promise to repeal it on Day One, and then sit back. If it's so bad, use your POTUS bully pulpit to demand Congress repeal it. Nearly every Republican has said they want it repealed, and none voted for it. What's the hold-up?

Trump now owns Obamacarehttps://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trump-now-owns-obamacare-181736930.html

This thread should be re-titled, "TrumpCare Continues to Survive Despite the Hysteria."

Perspective said:
morekaos said:

It's time to start directing your ire toward the Republicans and the president to repeal TrumpCare as promised.

No need for that..the die is cast. It will either be repealed or collapse by it's own weight.  Something that was accurately predicted the year it was enacted.  The end will be this year. Homicide or suicide I get the end result I desire.

Paul Ryan was whining and complaining about how horrible TrumpCare is again this morning. He can bring a simple vote to the floor to repeal it entirely today. Yet he delays...

morekaos said:
Perspective said:
morekaos said:

No need for that..the die is cast. It will either be repealed or collapse by it's own weight.  Something that was accurately predicted the year it was enacted.  The end will be this year. Homicide or suicide I get the end result I desire.

Yeah, heaven forbid if the government were to actually govern and fix something. Instead of moving from version 1.0 to 2.0 of ACA, we will move to version 1.0 of something else. That something else will also need to be fixed once it gets out into the wild.

Obviously the solution is the prior one, you may remember it.  It was the model with the Insurance companies set up the rationing of care plans based on profitability and their reviews of medical effectiveness per dollar.

It's quite sad, but some minor tweaks would really go a long way to 'fixing' Obamacare.

Like, any coupon the manufacturer makes to cover the cost of the drug applies before any coverage determination for price splitting with the consumer.  No more free co-pay coupons for Epi-pens and a sextupling of the price.

The second factor, modify anti-trust law in regards to health care, that any patented IP or derivatives of said IP patents, cannot invoke price increases on said IP base products post acquisition or one year prior to acquisition.  Bye bye Shkreli.

Finally allow ACA to allow anyone to have a high deductible plan up to a deductible equal to the annual out of pocket costs.

Unfortunately i don't have a solution for all those nice Doctors that suddenly decided they need to be 'concierge' service based for a fee.

nosuchreality said:
It's quite sad, but some minor tweaks would really go a long way to 'fixing' Obamacare.

I don't know how much you know regarding the impact of Obamacare. You think a few minor tweaks can make it a good solution when majority of the people said it's been a failure.

Movingup said:
nosuchreality said:

I don't know how much you know regarding the impact of Obamacare. You think a few minor tweaks can make it a good solution when majority of the people said it's been a failure.

I don't know how much you know prior to ACA, aka the you got yours and you don't need it era. But if do, you'll probably end up bankrupt, or unable to get insurance.  It was great!  Especially for the tens of millions left out

nosuchreality said:
Movingup said:
nosuchreality said:

I don't know how much you know prior to ACA, aka the you got yours and you don't need it era. But if do, you'll probably end up bankrupt, or unable to get insurance.  It was great!  Especially for the tens of millions left out

You really have no clue in what you are talking about. Prior to Obamacare, health insurance premiums are lower, deductibles are lower, people have more choices to see their doctors. The Medicare system has been an issue for many years and it is not sustainable. Obamacare did nothing to fix it. Instead, more bureaucracy (the meaningful use) are being implemented to create significant paperwork for healthcare providers, less time for them to focus on caring for patients. There is no Tort reform, so doctors continue to practice defensive medicine and order unnecessary tests. Medicare is still on a path to bankruptcy under Obamacare. The small number of people that really benefited from Obamacare are the indigent population, pre-existing conditions and people can go under parents plan till 26. But having insurance doesn't mean that they are getting quality medical care. All of the above are being achieved by the mandate that everyone needs to buy insurance and a lot of times expensive insurance with lousy coverage.

You answer a question by asking another question? Now just tell me what tweaks in Obamacare are you proposing to make it ideal?

Movingup said:
You really have no clue in what you are talking about. Prior to Obamacare, health insurance premiums are lower, deductibles are lower, people have more choices to see their doctors.

I had to get insurance on the open marketplace in 2004 (I think it was CA Blue Cross but don't quite remember anymore). It was expensive (somewhere around ~$400/mo), it had a high deductible, pretty low lifetime max, no pre-existing conditions were covered . It was the crappiest insurance I had ever had and I was just hoping for no accidents/sickness until I could get on a better plan.

Maybe in your particular case, participating in the open marketplace you somehow scored such a great plan but that's not something that was available for me, for example.

Back