New Car

irvinehomeowner said:
Paris said:
BTW the BMW new vehicle warranty remains 4 years/ 50k miles - Audi has the same. MB needs to keep up.

Does that include maintenance? I think maintenance is only 2 years.

yes includes maintenance for 4 years/50k miles.

Paris said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Paris said:
BTW the BMW new vehicle warranty remains 4 years/ 50k miles - Audi has the same. MB needs to keep up.

Does that include maintenance? I think maintenance is only 2 years.

yes includes maintenance for 4 years/50k miles.

You must be out of the BMW game for a while
BMW has phased out the previous 4 year 50k into a 3 year 36k

The other big take away is they stopped doing maintenance on these important items: brake pads, brake disc, wiper blade inserts, engine drive belts, Manual transmission clutches.  SO meaning if one of those things go bad usually by hard driving, it's out of pocket.  Of course 3 year 36k is still better than some other European brands but it's not a game changing all included 4 year 50k
http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/01/07/s...ill-reduce-the-no-cost-scheduled-maintenance/

Also, starting with 2016 models, if you lease a BMW, and you want to lease transfer, the maintenance plan goes away, so keep that in mind just in case  :)

edit:  sorry I keep updating this post.  But at the 3 year 36k new maintenance plan, most likely it'll only include maybe 3 oil changes and top off fluids and not much else, since most cars brand new won't have much else issues for first 36k.  So doesn't bring much value as before. 

I have a 2016 BMW right now - mine is 4 years 50k and my brakes were squeeking just a few months ago and with my complaint they replaced all 4 brand new brakes for free. Funny thing is they were probably doing that because I didn't give it a good "brake in period" driving on the autobahn in Germany at 150mph - oops my fault. But BMW was nice enough to cover it anyway.
Every time I drop it off at Crevier for free maintenance it's still 4 yrs 50k for my plan. And no I did not pay additional for any extra maintenance plan when I bought the car. So not sure where your 3yr/36k is coming from. does it vary by model?
Any other recent BMW owners want to chime in?
True - Tires are not covered.

Ok I found the answer on the BMW website - I purchased the vehicle through European Delivery so I must have just made the cutoff
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/bmwmaintenanceprogram.aspx

The BMW Maintenance Program

All model year 2017 BMW vehicles and newer sold or leased by an authorized BMW center come with BMW Ultimate Care standard for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first. Only the following maintenance items are included with BMW Ultimate Care when they are performed as outlined in the vehicle's Maintenance booklet:
Engine Oil
Engine Filter
Brake Fluid
Cabin Micro Filter(s)
Engine Air Filter(s)
Spark Plugs
Remote Control/Key Battery
Vehicle Check
Fuel Filter (Diesel engines only)

For model year 2015 or 2016 vehicles sold or leased by an authorized BMW center on or after July 1, 2014, the BMW Maintenance Program is provided for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. These maintenance programs cover all factory recommended maintenance as outlined in the vehicle's Service and Warranty Booklet. Additional specific items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear and that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty?such as brake pads, brake rotors, and wiper blade inserts?are included provided wear and tear exceeds BMW wear limits. Any applicable adjustments required due to normal operating conditions are also included.
Exclusions from coverage are:
Vehicle safety inspection and emissions test
Oxygen Sensor replacement(s)

Ever since the M car went turbo I lost interest in BMWs...the draw of the NA GT Porsche engines is strong.  I'm hoping to get a GT3 allocation in 2018, it'll then I need to keep selling homes. 

SoCal said:
I read online that the best vehicle theft deterrent is... a stick shift! The reason is that kids these days can barely get them off the curb. Hilarious!! :D I've been thinking a lot lately about buying a sports car. This is all the more reason to! Reduce the chances of it being stolen by a car jacker -- or my own kid! My boy doesn't even want to learn how to drive a manual transmission. He told me, "There's no reason to." I said, "Good. Then you won't be able to sneak out with my new car."  :)
Man killed because carjacker was mad over manual transmission:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-killed-because-carjacker-mad-202250306.html

Is there anything on the market which is extremely chip-resistant??

I'm so frustrated, you guys.

As I've mentioned before, I work in a retirement community. The old folks keep flinging their car doors into my car door in the parking lot. I now have another chip in the paint due to this.  :( They don't even leave notes. Heck, they don't even care about their own cars. They're rich. These are top of the line Jags, Mercedes, and exotic sports car doors they're flinging into me. Zero cares given!  :'(

SoCal said:

As I've mentioned before, I work in a retirement community. The old folks keep flinging their car doors into my car door in the parking lot. I now have another chip in the paint due to this.  :( They don't even leave notes. Heck, they don't even care about their own cars. They're rich. These are top of the line Jags, Mercedes, and exotic sports car doors they're flinging into me. Zero cares given!  :'(

Try this company. Not cheap but works. Won't prevent dents but can help for chips and scratches.
http://www.xpel.com

iacrenter said:
SoCal said:

Try this company. Not cheap but works. Won't prevent dents but can help for chips and scratches.
http://www.xpel.com

That's what I've put on all my Porsches, also helps to reduce road rash.

Got rid of our 04 Corolla, CarMax process was pretty simple, much more than the dealer.

So went back and forth on the new car the past year. We had a Model 3 reservation, cancelled it, considering Lexus or Mazda. We have some bathroom remodeling to do so decided to go Honda Civic. With the 2018 Honda Accord refresh, we ended up with a 2017 Honda Accord EX-L w/Sensing. Bummer it doesn't have Blind Spot Information, but happy so far. Next car will likely be our 35k+ splurge. Maybe this is ok with us since we don't live in Irvine and in Lake Forest?

jumpinjacks said:
Got rid of our 04 Corolla, CarMax process was pretty simple, much more than the dealer.

So went back and forth on the new car the past year. We had a Model 3 reservation, cancelled it, considering Lexus or Mazda. We have some bathroom remodeling to do so decided to go Honda Civic. With the 2018 Honda Accord refresh, we ended up with a 2017 Honda Accord EX-L w/Sensing. Bummer it doesn't have Blind Spot Information, but happy so far. Next car will likely be our 35k+ splurge. Maybe this is ok with us since we don't live in Irvine and in Lake Forest?

Consider using the Costco program. (I recently tagged along with a relative buying a Honda.) I would say the price is lower than sticker. Also, I got a quote using T@&& xxx and using the Costco program was lower.

I second CarMax.

The 2 times I went, they were higher than what a dealer would offer in trade and I would use their written quote to show them what CarMax offered and they would match. One time, the dealer tried to say because of a recall (it was a simple door fix), they could not take the trade and then when I showed them CarMax would do it, they acquiesced.

I really dislike having to buy from a dealer. Even these "internet" or "fleet" guys get into the whole song and dance.

Yes, forgot to mention we did go through the Costco Auto Purchase program. They didn't show us the price sheet, but got the 2017 Accord EX-L for about $4,300 off MSRP and a trunk tray 3 months ago, plus 0.9% to boot (vs cash, this is a no brainer). Some can haggle a few extra hundred off, but I like this set price deal with Costco. Costco price sheets for 2018 Accords should be coming out later this month I hear.

eyephone said:
jumpinjacks said:

Consider using the Costco program. (I recently tagged along with a relative buying a Honda.) I would say the price is lower than sticker. Also, I got a quote using T@&& xxx and using the Costco program was lower.

Good to hear that. Also, if you feel out the survey. I think you can get a $100 - $200 in credit from the dealer depending on your Costco membership. (after the purchase through the Costco auto program not dealership)

A tip for the newbies - make sure you when you get the Costco pricing it?s for the base model. (when I was dragged along I went to two Costco dealerships)

The first dealership gave us pricing for models with additional things. Such as after market wheels, spoiler, kit, paint sealer, spoiler, etc. [to sum it up it was stuff we didn?t need]  (keep in mind the car was for an older driver) I already went through the program previously at a different time and dealership. I asked them for pricing for a base model without options. You don?t want to know what I said to them. Lol

The second dealership had a price sheet of all the models with the discount. (Significant discount in my opinion)

So if you don?t like that dealership, just call the 1800 number and they will give you another dealership.

jumpinjacks said:
Yes, forgot to mention we did go through the Costco Auto Purchase program. They didn't show us the price sheet, but got the 2017 Accord EX-L for about $4,300 off MSRP and a trunk tray 3 months ago, plus 0.9% to boot (vs cash, this is a no brainer). Some can haggle a few extra hundred off, but I like this set price deal with Costco. Costco price sheets for 2018 Accords should be coming out later this month I hear.

eyephone said:
jumpinjacks said:

Back