New Car

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
I don't think you could pay me enough to drive a mini van. 
Easy to say when you're young and single.

We'll revisit this thread in 2022.

Yeah, you'll be amazed at what you'll find yourself doing. I hear myself saying, "I'm going to count to THREE. One...two...two-and-a-haaaaaaalf..." and I wonder, how did I get here??? Haha.

I think minivans are a great option because they have more cargo space than most small/midsize SUVs (when one or more 3rd row seats are folded down), less rollover risk, and generally better gas mileage. The only thing SUVs have going for them is that they are "cooler" than minivans. Unless you're going to tow something or go off-road, I really think a minivan is more practical than an SUV for most people.

But then, I don't really care if my car is considered cool or not. In fact, I hope it isn't. Less demand for minivans = better prices for me.

If someone put automatic sliding doors on an SUV... I would switch (well... they would need to work on the gas mileage too).

One good thing about minivans and sliding doors is easy diaper changes in the car especially if it's a crowded parking lot.  An SUVs trunk can work but more dangerous with you exposed to passing cars.

Thinking about getting this...

2012 Mazda5
pho_gallery_MZ5_ext1.jpg

21/28 mpg.. no power sliding doors though...

Still in the market for a new car, wife torpedoed the Mazda5 idea, too kiddie looking for me according to her.  So now I'm thinking of going another direction, I like big cars so maybe the Avalon?  I know its popular with geriatric crowd, but I'm kinda liking it, good tech in the car, wish there was some sort of hybrid with it.  Heard on commercial 0% APR right now.  Not the most common car on the road, heard its like a Lexus but with a Toyota price.

No minivan for her? Has she test-drove one?

Again... once you experience the magical automatic sliding doors... life will never be the same.

ps99472 said:
Still in the market for a new car, wife torpedoed the Mazda5 idea, too kiddie looking for me according to her.  So now I'm thinking of going another direction, I like big cars so maybe the Avalon?  I know its popular with geriatric crowd, but I'm kinda liking it, good tech in the car, wish there was some sort of hybrid with it.  Heard on commercial 0% APR right now.  Not the most common car on the road, heard its like a Lexus but with a Toyota price.

my inlaws have driven nothing but avalons for the last 10 years. i drove their avalon not too long ago. its a very nice car, has nice acceleration and nice tech in the car like you said. great value for the money.

irvinehomeowner said:
No minivan for her? Has she test-drove one?

Again... once you experience the magical automatic sliding doors... life will never be the same.

Wife is uncomfortable with driving big vans... that's why i thought the mazda5 would be a nice compromise.. btw, Mazda5 does not have auto sliding doors..

I always liked big sedans... ever since the driving scenes in the movie "Ronin".. maybe I should buy a big audi..

How about one of these? Probably one of the better looking family haulers on the market. Drives like a sedan and has the space of a SUV. Almost the same price as a Honda Odyssey EX-L.

2012-Audi-A6-Avant.jpg

iacrenter said:
How about one of these? Probably one of the better looking family haulers on the market. Drives like a sedan and has the space of a SUV. Almost the same price as a Honda Odyssey EX-L.

2012-Audi-A6-Avant.jpg
Those headlights look pretty slick.

Minivans are great.  Especially if you make multiple 7+ hour drives per year.... with three car seats... and carrying associated cihlds' needs.  Wife can attend to the kids during the drive so that only one stop break is needed.  Very roomy, drives great and is very comfortable.  Looking cool and whatnot goes out the door when you need to put three kids in and out of car seats regularly.

irvinehomeowner said:
Driving a big sedan is close to driving a mini-van.

Again... did she actually test drive one... it drives a like a car.

Nope, I didn't make it to the test drive phase... we saw a Mazda5 parked, I pointed to it, she shook her head, she didn't like the way it looks.. I'm ok with it, a little boy racer ish but hey it got sliding doors.  Maybe it was the Mazda emblem that she didn't like....

iacrenter said:

2012-Audi-A6-Avant.jpg

Love the Audi's, but not wagons... i'll do minivans first or SUVs before i drive a wagon...  don't know, maybe bad memories of being stuck in the back back seat of a wagon when i was little and facing either the car behind me or each other...

Back