NBA 2012-13, discuss, fantasy, Lakers, etc.

Gasol is on the verge of coming back but Kobe goes down (by the way Lakers have only 2 games next week, bad for fantasy). It looks like the fantastic four is taking turns nursing their injuries.

The Motor Court Company said:
Gasol is on the verge of coming back but Kobe goes down (by the way Lakers have only 2 games next week, bad for fantasy). It looks like the fantastic four is taking turns nursing their injuries.
Kobe going down basically ends any chance that I have winning in leauge in the playoffs.  :'(

Good fantasy season... IR2 was beating us all year... I guess I got lucky in the finals.

And yes... Clippers sweep the Lakers AND win the division title... so great.... over 20 years of being a Clipper fan finally paying off.

What are the odds Lakers make the playoffs? They have a tough schedule and you know all their opponents want to keep them out of the post season. There is speculation that some of Utah's opponents might Popovich just to keep the Lakers out... what do you think?

irvinehomeowner said:
Good fantasy season... IR2 was beating us all year... I guess I got lucky in the finals.

And yes... Clippers sweep the Lakers AND win the division title... so great.... over 20 years of being a Clipper fan finally paying off.

What are the odds Lakers make the playoffs? They have a tough schedule and you know all their opponents want to keep them out of the post season. There is speculation that some of Utah's opponents might Popovich just to keep the Lakers out... what do you think?
Before the lost the game to the Washing Wizards, my dad told me the odds for them to make the playoffs were 5-1 (you needed to bet $500 to win $100).  After the loss to the Washington Wizards, the odds dropped to 2-1.  I haven't checked with him what the current odds but I'm sure Utah is a favorite to make it now.

irvinehomeowner said:
There is speculation that some of Utah's opponents might Popovich just to keep the Lakers out... what do you think?

i told this to my wife last night.  If i was OKC i would sit everyone against utah.

Utah winning against the Warriors was huge. I would guess Utah should go at least 2-2, making their record 43-39.  OKC tonight, 1 home 1 away vs. Twolves (they should win both), then at Memphis

That means Lakers would have to go 4-1 against NO, @Portland,  vs. warriors, vs. Spurs, vs. Houston

Doubt OKC will rest guys tonight since they are still aiming for the #1 seed, but it will be interesting to see what the Spurs do on Sunday since they play at Golden State on Monday.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs rested Duncan and Parker and the Spurs still won.  But I think they are more likely to rest guys for the Monday game since it won't draw as much scrutiny and it is the second of the back to back.

The interesting thing will be the last night of the season if it matters.  Will the Rockets rest guys or will the Grizzlies? Or will both?  Grizzlies could still be fighting for home court against the Clippers while Rockets are still battling Warrior for the 6th/7th.

Sports radio keeps talking about what's going to happen if the Lakers miss the playoffs or make the playoffs.

I think even if the Lakers make the playoffs and advance to 2nd round... D'Antoni is done... his style doesn't work with this team. And Pau is getting traded... the question is for who? Lakers need someone young but who's going to take Pau for a younger emerging player?

irvinehomeowner said:
Sports radio keeps talking about what's going to happen if the Lakers miss the playoffs or make the playoffs.

I think even if the Lakers make the playoffs and advance to 2nd round... D'Antoni is done... his style doesn't work with this team. And Pau is getting traded... the question is for who? Lakers need someone young but who's going to take Pau for a younger emerging player?

Maybe we can trade Pau for garbage and sign Andrew Bynum! errrr wait a minute!

While I don't think Dwight is as good as I used to think (seeing him for all these games shows me how limited his offense is)... at least he played (instead of bowled).

The big problem with trying to get a younger is that Kobe will still stifle their production. Look at Nash... he went from one of the top assists guys in the league to Derek Fisher. The Mamba's presence isn't going to allow another young gun to play his game... so how will that work? I doubt even CP3 would have been able to play with Kobe.

I think Dwight would be better off in Houston with that young nucleus and fast paced offense.  I think Phil's quote supports that:

"Dwight is a guy who has amazing athletic ability, but overall, game, rebounding, defending, blocking shots, running the court, this is the guy who runs with the wolves so to speak. He can get up and down that court as quick as any of the guards and forwards because of his athletic ability. Both Brook Lopez and Andrew Bynum are more plodders as players. They have trouble in their transition game in both directions. This is a big difference in the play of those guys."

Speaking of Houston.  Crazy ending last night:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=StJFJcUHbrE[/youtube]

Lakers have had the worst luck this year.

I'm not really a Kobe fan but I would never want him to get injured like that... hope he heals up quick and can finish out the way he wants to.

It will be interesting because if Dwight does resign, we will get a glimpse of what the future Lakers will look like next year without Kobe (and maybe without Pau).

Monta Ellis is going to opt out of Milwaukee.

When I heard about the injury, the first thing I thought was IHO got his wish.  The Lakers "got rid" of Kobe. 

Since they had no realistic shot at a title run, I'm not that upset about it.  It will be intriguing to see how a team centered around Dwight Howard will perform.  I'm actually looking forward to it. 

Even if Kobe makes a miraculous comeback, he's going to have to play second fiddle to Dwight Howard for the rest of his career, assuming Dwight re-signs. 

Does Kobe's injury make the odds of Dwight re-signing higher?

Watching them play last night, I get the feeling that the Lakers will be okay AK (After Kobe). It's funny how Dwight was acting in the post game on court interview like he was all hardcore ("We will just dominate").

But we all know that Kobe will be back next year... probably at the start of the season and not only will he not be a step slower, he'll probably be better than he was this year (I don't have to like him to recognize his work ethic and drive).

With the rumors of LJB coming to LA in 2014 (still think it's a longshot)... I wonder how this will play out. Personally, I think Dwight should sign, Lakers should trade Pau for some youth (although Clark at the 4 doesn't seem as good considering he's also injury prone), and they should look for some defensive talent at the PG/SG position.

It is interesting to see how stats change with Kobe out... when was the last time Steve Blake score over 20 points? If the Lakers make the playoffs (looking pretty good now) and Nash comes back, I bet Nash will go back to double digit assists numbers.

they said this morning on 710 that dwight was already leaning towards resigning with LA even before the kobe injury.  i didnt watch the game yesterday but the first thing i did was to look at the box score and i saw what i expected to see, shots distributed to everyone.  kobe has great work ethic but father time is undefeated.  i dont see how he comes back better at 35. there is no way he can play at the level he was playing at this year at the start of next season (early november).

Back