Mulberry in CV or Mendocino at SG

Goriot

Hello.  I am new to the blog and Irvine and I am finding this site to be very informative.
I have a dilemma and need your advise.  I am on the waiting list at both Mulberry and Mendocino. 
I have been waiting for 3 months for Mendocino, but still no call.  After talking to the sales rep. who looked annoyed told me that it would be few more months.  But who knows! i cant believe i have to beg to give them $1mm.  With both the rates and prices increasing, I am losing patience.  But, I do like the location of SG.

I already received a call from Mulberry to secure a lot (I got prequalified on the first day) but I deferred it twice already.

Which community do you think I should go for and why?? I prefer Stonegate as it's little away from the 5 and very close to elementary school and we can walk our kid to school.

Mulberry is too close to air pollutants from 5 freeway that I am worried about.  The new elementary school will be right next to 5.  Studies show that air particles from the freeway traveling 0.5 to 1.5 miles during the day.  My kid might get asthma.

Should I wait and see prices continue to increase and get further screwed on Mendocino or jump the gun on Mulberry?? HELP. Thanks

I prefer the layouts of Mendocino over Mulberry.

While the CA Garage is a neat option, what you are giving up in footprint isn't worth it... Mulberry feels less "housey" than Mendocino.

Traceimage - Yup.  I tried to buy an existing property since January in Woodbury, Northwood, and Northpark areas, but got outbid by FCB buyers multiple times. We gave up on purchasing existing property.  It's probably better now with more inventory out there.  But, my wife and I are pretty much set on the new construction as that is first come first serve basis.  We were called for The Branches, but too overpriced for the size.  We were on the list for San Remo in Laguna Altura, but never received a call back either.  Close to 4 months.

Yes, isn't it insane how surprisingly bad you feel when trying to buy such an expensive home? ???

If I were in your shoes I'd also wait for Mendocino.

Yes, Mendocino and SG is near the *entrance* to the landfill, but it's 2 miles away from and on the other side of tall hills from the actual landfill, whereas all of CV is well within 1 mile from the I-5. CV is also overloaded with 4 huge apartment communities.

To try for a little luck in squeezing into a home, I'd phone the sales office every day to ask if anyone has canceled. Yes, the sales jerks may be annoyed, but so what?

I've told my story here before, but there were at least dozens on our waiting list, but the day I got pre-qualification I called the sales office to get on the waiting list and someone had just canceled their purchase, so I was able to immediately go in and give them a check despite everyone on the waiting list and that I wasn't even on the waiting list yet.

If that stroke of luck hadn't happened, my name would have been added to the end of the list and I might still be waiting today. I know of several others to whom that happened and they were finally able to purchase after a few months/phases when prices were up by $50k.

And I close escrow today.  :D

Test might be right about the 10% drop but who knows. However, thinking long term, I think SG will maintain it's price better than CV for a few reasons: less apartments, less affordable housing, further away from the freeway, lower starting prices, etc. I'm not interested in either location but if I were a buyer I'd really hesitate buying at CV unless the prices reflected it's flaws. I've lived near the 5 before and what you will find is although it's convenient living near a major freeway there will always be traffic and noise at your doorstep. Living just 2-3 miles away from the freeway makes a huge difference. I've also owned and lived near apartments in Irvine and nothing will bring the value of a community down faster than people who aren't invested in the community. Not to mention the lack of parking because of the high density. The only positive I see about CV is that it has increased the value of my rental properties. Now, if you're telling me you want this purchase to eventually be a rental property than I'd say CV is better because renters typically want to be closer to the freeway from my experience. Also, keep in mind there will be thousands of new homes for sale later this year and in early 2014 that should at least stabilize prices so I wouldn't feel desperate although I can understand you've been looking and waiting. 

I actually prefer the CV location over SG... just as long as you don't live right next to the freeway. The location of the 3 home tracts are far enough to mitigate noise issues and with CV being "closer" to the "action", it's better to me.

I just don't like what they built at CV, if they built more "traditional" SFRs (ie proper driveway, not zero lot line) it would be better but TIC is trying to maximize space.

Location is the first 3 rules of real estate, but what you are giving up doesn't seem worth it.

Ok Thanks for all your opinion! Much appreciated.  I think I will continue to wait for Mendocino for now and use Mulberry as a backup.  Although the prices will continue to increase by $7-$8k every phase releases. 

LiefinIrvine - The new constructions for Mulberry is located closer to Woodbury (Trabuca/Jeffrey) and away from 5.

Landfill definitely is a concern - ground water pollution or it becomes self-burning. However, the chances of these happening are remote at best. If you worry about the Landfill, you might as well worry about the big earthquake that is coming - for which every house in Irvine will be affected, or a nuclear accident after they reopen the plants. Perhaps it is better to move to Johns Creek as it is not in an earthquake zone (only disaster I can think of there is zombie apocalypse, but that is rarer than earthquakes).

Freeway noise and pollution on the other hand, is a given - you get those 24/7 and will only go away if every one is driving electric cars, which may happen decades away?

The California Court Company said:
Landfill definitely is a concern - ground water pollution or it becomes self-burning. However, the chances of these happening are remote at best. If you worry about the Landfill, you might as well worry about the big earthquake that is coming - for which every house in Irvine will be affected, or a nuclear accident after they reopen the plants. Perhaps it is better to move to Johns Creek as it is not in an earthquake zone (only disaster I can think of there is zombie apocalypse, but that is rarer than earthquakes).

Freeway noise and pollution on the other hand, is a given - you get those 24/7 and will only go away if every one is driving electric cars, which may happen decades away?

I agree. If I had to choose between closer to landfill (SG) versus close to I5 (CV), I would choose landfill. The I5 is an everyday visible eyesore/earsore problem. The landfill is only an occasional bad smell day. And as far as toxins--both are bad so it is a wash.

I must be lucky, but I haven't smelled the landfill stinch in SG yet.  However ,on a bad day, I remember I started to smell it around the Woodbury town center and I could smell it at work.  Went home and no smell.  I started to think that the angle where SG lies beneath the landfill probably sits low enough that the smell passes over SG. 

I'm not sure if its because of all of the apts in CV but I always see a long line of cars coming out of CV waiting to turn left onto Jeffrey in the morning.

iacrenter said:
The California Court Company said:

I agree. If I had to choose between closer to landfill (SG) versus close to I5 (CV), I would choose landfill. The I5 is an everyday visible eyesore/earsore problem. The landfill is only an occasional bad smell day. And as far as toxins--both are bad so it is a wash.

Also being the 5 means lots of traffic trying to get to the freeway from Woodbury, SG, Portola Springs, and Lambert Ranch.  With SG, you get far fewer cars traveling that far east.

Goriot said:
We were on the list for San Remo in Laguna Altura, but never received a call back either.  Close to 4 months.

The last phase at San Remo was released on the weekend of 5/17.  Everything has been sold.  According to the sales, they called the people who got on the list at least in or before January this year.

Goriot, I am in the exact same situation as you, try to decide between Mendocino and Mulberry. 

I?ve considered a lot of pro and cons others have mention here.  I like both areas but for Mulberry, I like their floor plan a little better.  Also for the first few phases, Mulberry has some lots are not back against another home, which is a plus for me.

Mendocino?s next phase (phase 14) have some excellent home site that are next to the park and back against a street (which is next to a school).  In these sites, you don?t have neighbor in front of you (you are facing a park), and you don?t have neighbor behind you (if you look out the window, you will see the school yard of SG elementary school). 

For the home with such small yard, the size of yard doesn?t bother that much, but close proximity to a neighbor in the backyard kind of does.

Since no neighbor behind my home is important to me, I?ll pick who ever offer me a home with that future first.  Mulberry made an offer first so I sign up a Mulberry home with out a neighbor behind it.  I still have not hear from Mendocino.

Hi Inc!

Good to hear from you! I think phase 14 will be releasing tomorrow or next week.  It will be DOUBLE premium (I say $30k to $40k pop) for no house infront (park) and no house in the back.  So expect significant bump UP :mad:.  Yeah, it's gonna be loud as school is right there and heavy traffic in the morning with all those people dropping off/picking up their kids.

I do like the floor plan for Mulberry.  I like the optionality of the office behind the garage, higher ceiling, etc.  Mulberry looks more like a $1mm home compared to Mendocino from outside because of higher ceiling and more grand structure.  But, I like Mendocino neighborhood as it's quieter and away from the freeway.

btw, how long have you been on the waiting list for Mendocino?  I have been harassing those three triad ladies for weeks :p  I think they put me on a black list as they don't reply to my emails anymore.

Thanks!

Brian

Goriot said:
Hi Inc!

Good to hear from you! I think phase 14 will be releasing tomorrow or next week.  It will be DOUBLE premium (I say $30k to $40k pop) for no house infront (park) and no house in the back.  So expect significant bump UP :mad:.  Yeah, it's gonna be loud as school is right there and heavy traffic in the morning with all those people dropping off/picking up their kids.

I do like the floor plan for Mulberry.  I like the optionality of the office behind the garage, higher ceiling, etc.  Mulberry looks more like a $1mm home compared to Mendocino from outside because of higher ceiling and more grand structure.  But, I like Mendocino neighborhood as it's quieter and away from the freeway.

btw, how long have you been on the waiting list for Mendocino?  I have been harassing those three triad ladies for weeks :p  I think they put me on a black list as they don't reply to my emails anymore.

Thanks!

Brian

I have been on Mendocino's wait list since mid February. 

I don't think noise from school will be a issue.  It's elementary school after all and after 2:00 pm it's a ghost town.  I think the homes from phase 14 has the best site in Mendocino.  Good Luck.

lucky said:
I've told my story here before, but there were at least dozens on our waiting list, but the day I got pre-qualification I called the sales office to get on the waiting list and someone had just canceled their purchase, so I was able to immediately go in and give them a check despite everyone on the waiting list and that I wasn't even on the waiting list yet.

That is great, sometimes timing is everything.  We got ours because someone had canceled.  I think we "jumped" the queue a bit because we had shown a lot of interest and made a good impression (well, my family probably did, me maybe not so much ;) ).

Back