Mortgage interest Rates october to november

babysprouts said:
The thing is, my parents (they live abroad) gifted the husband and I with a 20%+ downpayment. I am changing the details a little bit but let's say they deposited this chunk of money into a new account with $180,000. We tried to get pre-approved for a $530,000 home, telling the lender we are doing $140,000 down. He says ok and pre approves but all of a sudden, coincidentally, after seeing my bank statement and that I have $180,000, it seems the terms are changing and he says we aren't going to get approved unless we put $180,000 down. Is this a possibility that the lenders are going to get as much out of you when they know how much you have in excess?

The lender should give you a reason for why they are requesting a higher amount.  It sounds like a strange request to me, but maybe they need the debt-to-income ratio to be lower.  That's the only thing I can think of... Or maybe it was just a misunderstanding and poor communication on their part.  Not all loan officers are good at their jobs.

If the lender won't give you a good reason, then I would move on.  There are hundreds of lenders to choose from and believe me, many are starving for business right now.

babysprouts said:
marmott said:
Did you try to shop around?

I'm not sure it's worth staying with the same lender if he is changing the conditions on you. Plenty around looking for business.

We submitted our offer for this home using the pre-approved letter this lender gave us. If the home owners do end up choosing us, are we able to switch to another lender or do we just have to move forward with this lender? If I had it my way I would not want to work with this lender. The thing is, we don't have a lot of cash to throw around if there are costs associated with changing lenders/paperwork. 

I appreciate your advice.

You can totally change lenders after you get into escrow.  Many of my buyers want to cross shop other lenders in the first few days after getting into escrow (I do tell them to give the lender that gave them the loan pre-approval letter a chance to match the lowest rate they find if they want to work with that lender). 

An additional $40k down is big, but it doesn't move the debt to income ratio needle by much. You could with far less expense buy your rate down or pay off bills to qualify, so something else is at play.

Although all of the facts are not in, here's my guess on why you were asked to put more cash down:

Lenders have specific documentation requirements based on how their Automated Underwriting Systems (AUS) fire. At a Loan To Value of X a lender may need 2 months of bank statements. At a Loan To Value of Y, a lender may need 1 months bank statement, or a Verification Of Deposit.

If your contract was signed in February, and the application for full loan approval began shortly thereafter, you'd need to provide December and January bank statements. Assuming your family gift came in December, that's where the issue is.

If you need a loan approval to meet contingencies - super important so that you don't lose the home - agree to put the additional funds down. It's possible (although not certain....) that you can apply early March with another lender and supply January and February bank statements for the approval. Take a look at the end date of your January statement. From there you can guess where your February statement will be available.

As an FYI - Suggestions for ANY and ALL buyer reading this thread:

1) Read your statements. If you have any "non payroll" deposit of any kind greater than 5% of your monthly income, you have to source it. Example: lend a friend $1,000 then get it paid back? You have to source the funds because there will be a $1,000 mystery cash deposit into your account that will catch the eye of an Underwriter.

B) Do you have funds coming from accounts overseas or "family gifts"? For most lenders, you are now radioactive and the half life of such radioactivity is 70 days - the time it will take from the transfer of funds to the U.S. to the time your banking data will be accepted by most lenders. I know one lender who has told customers to just "wire the funds into escrow right before closing". If anything changes, or goes wrong for any number of reasons, do you really want to see your sale collapse at the zero hour when you could have moved funds months ago to avoid a calamity like this? Bring the funds early to the US, or transfer from family right away. In order to close with certainty, "hope that things will go well" is not a reliable strategy here.

III) I worked recently with a customer who had 15+ separate cash banking accounts. Some were brick and mortar banks. Others were on-line only. Others still were credit unions. That customer closed late. Why? The borrower signed closing documents, then began to wire to escrow. When $100k from an on-line bank is moved to a brick and mortar, the on-line bank took 3 days to transfer. The brick and mortar took 3 days to verify the funds were authentic. Mix into the calendar weekends or holidays and it could have taken a full 2 weeks to get funds to closing. This process was speeded up as a "rush" by the bank. It wasn't $100k in this example, but multiple $100k moves totaling $800k being accumulated. At that level fraud alerts begin to ring loudly so extra scrutiny occurs. The solution? Move cash into a centralized account early in the process, not at hour zero. It's OK to move from Chase to Wells or from TD Ameritrade to Chase, as documentation is relatively easy to get. It's the matter of rushing the process right at closing which can cause cascading delay issues. If needed, move often, but move early.

Hope your $40k problem gets worked out into a better solution than what's been presented by the lender you've been working with.

My .02c

SGIP

Great points Soylent.  Agents should really provide a handout with this information in it.  It boggles my mind how many times these issues come up during escrow.  The fixes are simple, IF planned ahead, but no one has a clue until it's too late. 

So grateful for the tips SGIP! Especially the point where you mentioned the lender suggesting to wire directly to escrow - that IS what I was suggested. And I probably would have followed that advice for any future transactions had I not read your point. Such valuable information.

Thank you once again for all the valuable bits and pieces everyone gave. I love learning about this from people that don't have an agenda.

SGIP, as usual very valuable feedback.  I would add that buyers keep the account that has their down with minimal transactions to avoid having to source and explain all sorts of deposits.  In addition, your checking account should really only show your salary deposits and nothing else.  Our main checking account has salary deposits and the basics like credit cards and our mortgage gets pulled out.  All other checks and cash get deposited into an account that I never have to show a lender.  This has made it very easy for us to get loans quickly.

On wiring to escrow, I don't think SGIP is saying its bad if its its just 1 account.  For example, we sold stock and instead of moving from my brokerage to my bank and then to escrow, I wired directly from my brokerage to escrow.  In this situation, I rather not sell the stock until I needed to. 

At the current pace, I will make the assumptions that rate will hit 5 % + by summer. This is Jumbo loans with top notch qualified buyers. Will it slow down the buying? That will get tested this summer.

My crystal ball shows no signs of an Irvine buying slowdown this summer.

"Loans are for poor people."
- FCBs

Compressed-Village said:
At the current pace, I will make the assumptions that rate will hit 5 % + by summer. This is Jumbo loans with top notch qualified buyers. Will it slow down the buying? That will get tested this summer.

We were at 4.5% a few years back (we aren't there yet) and I'm guess we won't get to 5%.

Hard to say if rates are the cause of a present slowdown. There are two kinds of housing inventory right now - well priced, which lasts for 4-5 days tops, and over priced shiathouses fixers.  Anecdotally:

listing agent at broker preview: So, I'm relisting this house we had on the market. The seller had 5 offers, but the one we accepted just fell out.

other agents: "What happened to the other 4 offers?"

listing agent: "um... well... it's really quiet out there?".

Another realtor: "I also have this Irvine condo on the market for 8 weeks now. I don't know why we don't have any offers yet. If you have any buyers, let me know."

The terms "Irvine Condo" and "8 weeks on the market" are incongruous, unless the price or condition are a problem. For those homes left on the market greater than 3 weeks, it's price, not a market slow down due to rates.

From the mortgage side of things I'm seeing more sticker shock at current rates. One buyer has been looking for about a year for a property. They have a self imposed maximum payment ceiling. With rates going up, that maximum ceiling is pushing the maximum price lower and lower. Given the price ceiling their payment ceiling has caused, we're approaching the point in time when mobile homes aren't affordable. Their agent suggested that I talk up the "tax benefit of home ownership" to get them to move, but given how tax law has changed, that one trick pony has been sent to the glue factory IMHO.

The second buyer in the market - as a direct quote below indicates - is caught unaware of the interest rate market shift:

Buyer A: I'd like a 5% down purchase loan please.

Lender: OK, based on the loan you described, here's a 4.625% rate.

Buyer A: :But...But.. I don't deserve a 4.625% rate. My buddy last September bought a house with a 3.625 rate. Why don't I get that rate?"

Lender: Did they put more cash down than 5%? Since September the market has changed. I wish there was....

Buyer A: LA LA LA LA LA I don't care FARK YOOOOOOO and your 4.625%

During several interactions on the phone with buyers, you could hear them begin to get wobbly when 4x percent rates are quoted. It's come to the point now that I ask very early in the interview if they are sitting or standing, just in case a fainting couch isn't near by to catch them. With difficult credit, many times we're seeing quotes now in the low 5's and that's not just at big banks, but brokers and credit unions as well.

Should run in the mill, high FICO, big down payment, SFR mortgage terms drift into the low 5's, there may be trouble ahead. Most buyers in this category will shift to an ARM loan for the short term. They recognize that a potential refinance may be 3-7 years down the road so why sweat it? New buyers... not so much. ARM loans have too much uncertainty for the average FTHB. If these buyers decide to wait for a return of loans in the 3's, I doubt this would push prices much lower as investors will likely grab a larger share of what comes to the resale market.

This will be a interesting R.E. market this year. My advice: buckle up!

SGIP

The line in the sand is a greater than 3% 10yr-T. If you see that breached, quite a bit of pain will occur. Expect greater than 4% rates to come shortly thereafter. For now, still some up, still some down.

My .02c

SGIP

Back