Mortgage interest Rates october to november

Soylent Green Is People said:
May also be year end window dressing for some of the fund managers. Dump bonds in Dec, then jump back come January.

My .02c

SGIP

No it doesn?t work like that

Window dressing is if you sold energy stocks from your equity mutual fund at end of 2015 if clients were concerned about how much exposure you had in that sector given all the bad news .

But 10y treasury ? Nope - these move largely based on market expectations of future inflation. Now you could say tax bill passage is causing that expectation to go up .

USCTrojanCPA said:
Liar Loan said:
It increased by 7 bps so the percentage increase was 3%.  I knew this would probably be confusing after I posted it, but I didn't mean to say that it increased by 300 bps.

My bad, didn't not clearly read your post.  I think the 10-year might be heading back up to the 52-week high of 2.60ish in the near term.

Looks like we will get to test your prediction.  If it pushes past 2.60% will all hell break loose?

China Weighs Slowing or Halting Purchases of U.S. Treasuries

China added to bond investors? jitters on Wednesday as traders braced for what they feared could be the end of a three-decade bull market.

Senior government officials in Beijing reviewing the nation?s foreign-exchange holdings have recommended slowing or halting purchases of U.S. Treasuries, according to people familiar with the matter. The news comes as global debt markets were already selling off amid signs that central banks are starting to step back after years of bond-buying stimulus. Yields on 10-year Treasuries rose for a fifth day, touching the highest since March.

China holds the world?s largest foreign-exchange reserves, at $3.1 trillion, and regularly assesses its strategy for investing them. It isn?t clear whether the officials? recommendations have been adopted.

?With markets already dealing with supply indigestion, headlines regarding potentially lower Chinese demand for Treasuries are renewing bearish dynamics,? said Michael Leister, a strategist at Commerzbank AG. ?Today?s headlines will underscore concerns that the fading global quantitative-easing bid will trigger lasting upside pressure on developed-market yields.?

The 10-year Treasury yield was about four basis points higher at 2.59 percent as of 8:48 a.m. in New York.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...re-said-to-view-treasuries-as-less-attractive

Bill Gross Calls a Bond Bear Market After Treasury Yield Surges

The 10-year U.S. Treasury yield climbed to the highest level in about 10 months, leading Bill Gross at Janus Henderson Group to declare a bond bear market just as a deluge of debt sales began.

The benchmark U.S. yield rose seven basis points on Tuesday to top 2.55 percent for the first time since March, and the Treasury curve steepened the most in over a year, as a looming glut of bond supply from the U.S., the U.K., Japan and Germany coincided with a surprise cut in purchases of long-dated Japanese government bonds by the Bank of Japan. The securities steadied on Wednesday.

Add to that rising market expectations around inflation, and traders are starting to wager that Treasuries are on the verge of a big breakout from their tightest range in a half-century.

?We?re seeing a lot of overseas buyers who would come in every time we?d have a move close to these levels who aren?t coming in anymore,? said Michael Franzese, New York-based head of fixed-income trading at MCAP LLC, a broker-dealer. ?That?s kind of scaring me a little bit. One eye is constantly on the exit button.?

?Bond bear market confirmed,? Gross said in a Twitter posting on Tuesday, noting that 25-year trend lines had been broken in five- and 10-year Treasury maturities. The billionaire fund manager at Janus said last year that 10-year yields persistently above 2.4 percent would signal a bear market, though added in an interview last week that even in such an environment, investors probably won?t lose a lot of money.

Of course, several money managers have been premature in calling the end of the three-decade bull market in Treasuries over the years.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...d-climbs-as-boj-action-spurs-exit-speculation

That last sentence is the understatement of the century.  Bill Gross is actually one of the fund managers that has repeatedly gotten it wrong, but there's really nobody that has gotten it right, so his opinion is still worth considering.

How will Irvine and OC at large, adapt to mortgage rates at 5%+ in the coming years?

I think the answer to how will the market adapt to 5% + mortgage will be seen after we learn how it adapts to cap in mortgage deduction and other tax related changes next year. 

I personally think it will not have an impact , if rates go up because inflation is also up and wages are also increasing.  and on that point, there aren't many signs that inflation is going up anywhere across the developed economies of the world , including US.

I am getting my house end of April. I have few question.

When should I start shopping for mortgage? BOA quoted me 4.25% for 6 month lock and 4.00% for 60 day lock.

Should I wait to lock? or lock it at 4.25%

which other lenders should I reach out to get better rates?

Please provide recommendation.

Irvine_is_awesome said:
I am getting my house end of April. I have few question.

When should I start shopping for mortgage? BOA quoted me 4.25% for 6 month lock and 4.00% for 60 day lock.

Should I wait to lock? or lock it at 4.25%

which other lenders should I reach out to get better rates?

Please provide recommendation.

Bankrate generally displays the most competitive rates, but you also want to make sure you go with a lender that can close your loan on time.  A lot of the lenders with the absolute best rates are refi heavy shops and might have a bare bones staff, which is how they survive on thin margins.  Read some reviews before you decide who to go with.

The 10 Yr Treasury blasted through resistance and is now at 2.74%.  Mortgage rates are up about 0.5% in the past 4 months which is what I suspected might happen.  I decided to sell my peak bubble condo in October and I still feel good about that.  Entry level buyers are more sensitive to rate increases, so it was a good time to get out.

For those of us in the mortgage business, refi volumes are about to tank.  People like SGIP with large networks of satisfied repeat customers will be just fine, but loan officers that work in centralized high volume call centers (think CashCall Mortgage) are going to be in a world of hurt.  Relationships are what matter when times get tough.

My my my we're jumping quickly here...... 2.83/2.84 on the ten yr
When I purchased in Jan/Feb of 14 it was around 3.05.  I thought that was the time the ten year was beginning its ascent upwards.  Only to be head faked out....
This time around, I'm not sure, it looks like possibly the real lift off....

sell4u said:
My my my we're jumping quickly here...... 2.83/2.84 on the ten yr
When I purchased in Jan/Feb of 14 it was around 3.05.  I thought that was the time the ten year was beginning its ascent upwards.  Only to be head faked out....
This time around, I'm not sure, it looks like possibly the real lift off....

Yep a lot of people, including those in the mortgage business, thought the increase after Bernanke's "Taper Talk" was the end of the road.  Instead, we were blessed with 4 more years of good times.

A lot of it had to with instability around the world and the flight to safety in US Treasuries and other stable economies.  Now that the world economy seems to be really clicking, there isn't much fear at the moment.

I heard a CashCall ad on the radio this morning that encouraged taking a cashout refi to "buy the dip in Bitcoin".

All of the refi houses are advertising 2nd applications now. With refi-geddon upon them, the only way to keep the doors open is by trying to poach business. That's not a sustainable way to keep people employed.

At our broker preview meeting today, one lender was pushing their 95% LTV Jumbo and an 80% Bank Statement loans that can "make a deal that crashed at another lender happen". Odd, with multiple offers and short days on market, I'm not really seeing any failed deals out there. If they do fail, and backup buyers 2, 3, and 4 don't come through, I guess buyer 1 might have a chance to still buy. It's just another sign that some of these shops are going to fold up soon with such low volume coming in.

My .02c

Liar Loan said:
I heard a CashCall ad on the radio this morning that encouraged taking a cashout refi to "buy the dip in Bitcoin".

Me too. Borrowed $400k and leveraged it into $2million of bitcoin. Wish me luck.

Soylent Green Is People said:
At our broker preview meeting today, one lender was pushing their 95% LTV Jumbo

This strikes me as sort of odd.  Are many deals falling apart due to a lack of DP/reserves?  I would think income would be the bigger problem for jumbo borrowers, followed by credit.

When you said 95% LTV Jumbo I was sort of shocked.  I didn't think anybody was doing those but it turns out we are doing a miniscule number and selling them to a niche buyer that keeps them on balance sheet.  You need either a pristine credit score or very low DTI (ie. healthy income) to go along with that.

It's what the lender was selling, but not what the market is buying.

realtors aren't going to entertain a 5% down buyer on a $1m property when at those prices, most offers are 15-30% down minimum. It's the same theory that is applied to VA buyers. God loves our Vets, but in a multiple bid scenario, a $1.00 moves you in VA is not going to be the winning offer, even if it's over the sales price. The realtor community takes the simple deal over the right one almost every day of the week.

Yes, one needs to walk on water for these 95% deals, but if you walk on water, why would you want a 5.5% rate and a super high payment on a mortgage you can't write off? These products sound sexy, but my guess only 1 or 2 close per year.

My .02c

SGIP

Sorry to post it here but I had a question I was hoping someone could help me out with regarding mortgages. I'm a newbie (first time home buyer / millennial), without much guidance from any elders and just learning as we go.

The thing is, my parents (they live abroad) gifted the husband and I with a 20%+ downpayment. I am changing the details a little bit but let's say they deposited this chunk of money into a new account with $180,000. We tried to get pre-approved for a $530,000 home, telling the lender we are doing $140,000 down. He says ok and pre approves but all of a sudden, coincidentally, after seeing my bank statement and that I have $180,000, it seems the terms are changing and he says we aren't going to get approved unless we put $180,000 down. Is this a possibility that the lenders are going to get as much out of you when they know how much you have in excess?

The only reason we're keeping a little extra as a cushion is for closing costs, to buy furniture/appliances (the home itself doesn't come with much) and also for living expenses as I am currently unable to work at the moment.

We are beyond frustrated that this is happening - finding a decent looking home at our budget is already challenging as it is.. any advice for us lost/confused/angry millennials would be wonderful!

Did you try to shop around?

I'm not sure it's worth staying with the same lender if he is changing the conditions on you. Plenty around looking for business.

marmott said:
Did you try to shop around?

I'm not sure it's worth staying with the same lender if he is changing the conditions on you. Plenty around looking for business.

We submitted our offer for this home using the pre-approved letter this lender gave us. If the home owners do end up choosing us, are we able to switch to another lender or do we just have to move forward with this lender? If I had it my way I would not want to work with this lender. The thing is, we don't have a lot of cash to throw around if there are costs associated with changing lenders/paperwork. 

I appreciate your advice.

@baby - this is why I do not go with pop up mortgage brokers. Also, I?m concerned about my financial data. Do the small brokers have controls in place to protect the documents?

Can your agent help you with this? He should really be the one guiding you through that.

A pre-approval letter is just to show that you are able to purchase up to a certain amount. I don't think you are tied in with this lender, at least when we bought a new house we were not.

The only downside of changing lender is that you have to qualify again with them and it will take a bit of time.

I would really shop around, you want to have other quotes to be able to negotiate the best mortgage possible.

Back