More Mello Roos?

irvinehomeowner said:
NO on E.

Taxation without representation. :)

Note info comes from Agenda May 24, 2016.

Senior breakfast day.
Jumper rental (not to exceed) around $1700

Senior day - provide burgers (not to exceed) around $2k
Second and third grade food truck burgers (not to exceed) around $1600

Provide movie screen to show senior video (not to exceed) around $858

According to the agenda:

https://agendaonline.net/public/Meeting.aspx?AgencyID=186&MeetingID=33264&AgencyTypeID=1&IsArchived=False

My thoughts: I'm just reading the Agenda, so I don't know the whole story. Please correct me if I'm wrong or tell the story. Here are my questions: Why do they need a jumper for seniors? Taxpayers need to pay for this?
What ever happened to selling chocolate? (To fund extra activities)

Important Information for Neighborhoods outside the Measure E Boundary Area:

Measure E will benefit all IUSD schools by ensuring general funds are allocated to instruction rather than diverting

This means if the measure doesn't get the 55% needed to pass, funds will still be diverted to meet infrastructure needs of the older schools?  So why vote yes? 

interesting, so if I'm a new homeowner and pay my $12k+ annual mello for living in BP, not all of that will be guaranteed for beacon park school or Portola high.  It can be diverted for the poorer neighborhood schools without doors?  That sucks.  Even suckier if it's true for the TUSD folks that live in OH, I wonder how much of their money is going to OH school versus the older TUSD schools in Tustin.  OH/BP/PP folks are the cash cows for the school districts.  Wagyu A5 grade. 

I'm voting no :)

peppy said:
eyephone said:
peppy said:
irvinehomeowner said:
NO on E.

Taxation without representation. :)

Isn't it limited to only some areas of the city?

Yes it's limited areas.

So taxation with representation ;)

Sigh. When sarcasm requires explanations it's not as fun.

In my opinion, specialized funding like this should only be sought from those who this directly benefits or are interested in supporting it. It should be through fundraising from families who go to these schools or from businesses who are interested in funding these improvements.

This is like Measure A a few years where a number of teachers claimed they would lose their jobs and that programs would be cut if it didn't pass. It didn't... but guess what happened? Local businesses stepped up and provided the funding needed.

The other problem is when funding like this goes through governmental red tape, it's not lossless, admin fees etc takes a cut from that dollar.

And why "tax" people who don't use the schools? Granted, nicer schools make a nicer city but I doubt City of Irvine will let the older schools become toxic dumping grounds (<-- more sarcasm).

So does that mean that folks who buy in Clint Eastwood will have to pay the melloroos for new schools AND this measure E for old schools since they will have the new Eastwood Elementary and sierra vista ms / northwood hs?

could be wrong, but my understanding was the measure is based on elementary school designation, if zoned for affected school, you would pay, ie. . . eastwood residents would not pay

Vote NO on E!

Here is the new tax boundaries (in RED) for IUSD:

b7htog.jpg

No skin in the game since I've moved out of IUSD but I was there when Northwood High was built and they completely wasted money. They purchased all kinds of exotic musical instruments (from Africa and I don't remember where else) that they didn't use, put in a dark room that was barely used and most of the teachers who started at the school a few years after it opened thought it was always a storage closet and then there was that big huge tree they bought which died right after they put it in all cuz it was a use it or lose it attitude on spending money.

Since CV is outside the boundary but we are zoned to Irvine HS, does that mean CV will also be voting/paying?

Ready2Downsize said:
No skin in the game since I've moved out of IUSD but I was there when Northwood High was built and they completely wasted money. They purchased all kinds of exotic musical instruments (from Africa and I don't remember where else) that they didn't use, put in a dark room that was barely used and most of the teachers who started at the school a few years after it opened thought it was always a storage closet and then there was that big huge tree they bought which died right after they put it in all cuz it was a use it or lose it attitude on spending money.

Good story. What are your thoughts on taxpayer paying for the jumper for senior breakfast?

Some areas in Measure E still pay older mello.  What about them?

R2 expires 9/2020 (just refinanced)
VN expires 9/2021

My kids are long gone from public school. (my oldest was in the first graduating class of NHS) so I don't know about any jumper but I'm against tax payer money paying for non essential fluff that does not go to educating the kids.

When I hear from my kids (when they were going to school) about how much money was being wasted and when I asked them..... on what and they gave me a list then there is too much waste.

As for the mello that is about to expire......... I believe there is a way for it to be extended without taxpayer approval if the schools decide they have an ongoing need for more money.

ps9 said:
Here's the response :

407E014F-A944-45ED-853A-4F09787447BF_zpsunksgfef.png

Vote no people, like a wise man said once:

It's a trap!

The more important issue at hand is the sheer amount of unread Emails in your Inbox.

Back