More Mello Roos?

Sounds cheap and probably would increase home values in older communities.

"a rising tide lifts all boats"

anything that raises the value of the older neighborhoods will raise the value of all the surrounding neighborhoods. 

jmoney74 said:
Sounds cheap and probably would increase home values in older communities.

I don't know.  Part of the appeal of those neighborhoods is no mello roos...  Are the highly rated schools doing so badly that they hurt the home's values?

I suppose the schools could go downhill if they aren't funded well enough and then the neighborhood values would drop. 

Irvine Unified to put $319M school facilities bond measure on June ballot
March 2, 2016 Updated 12:52 p.m.

The Irvine Unified School District will ask voters in June to approve a facilities bond measure that would raise money to improve aging school facilities.

The school board on Tuesday unanimously approved the formation of a school facilities improvement district encompassing 28 campuses and said it would seek $319 million in bond revenue to those schools.

Only voters within the district will get to cast a vote on the measure ? and only campuses within it will get funds for improvements.

Residential and commercial property owners would pay a yearly tax of $29 per $100,000 of assessed value if the measure is approved. At least 55 percent of voters would need to be in favor.

Parents, teachers and staff who spoke in favor of the measure gave several examples of why it is needed: Classrooms at Brywood Elementary School need doors; a teacher at Lakeside Middle School expects to lose more ceiling tiles when it rains the next time; orchestra practice at Irvine High School takes practice in the computer lab.

The district?s new schools and those currently under construction, such as Portola High School, in Great Park Neighborhoods, have state-of-the-art facilities.

?If we don?t do something, we?re going to become a community of the haves and have nots,? board member Sharon Wallin said.

More than 20 people spoke at the meeting, most in favor of the measure.

However, Gil Nelsen, whose two grown children attended Irvine schools, said the district should find another way to cover its facilities needs.

?Personally, I?m not willing to pay without a fight the $350 that I figured out you folks are going to get out of me based on my home in Woodbridge,? Nelsen said. ?Starting tonight the campaign to defeat this bond tax is underway.?

He accused Irvine Unified of mismanaging funds.

?I believe the district should have long ago created a major construction improvement fund,? he said. ?I believe you?re essentially creating a Mello-Roos tax for homeowners who moved into non-Mello-Roos boundary areas in Irvine.?

Steve Harlow, an entrepreneur who owns properties in Irvine, also spoke in opposition, disagreeing with the premise that the older schools require immediate upgrades.

?There?s a place called Harvard. Anybody ever heard of it?? he said. ?A lot of the buildings are a couple hundred years old.?

However, teacher Mary Thomas-Vallens, who has been at Brywood Elementary School since it opened, said the campus? condition is detrimental to student learning.

?Our school is almost 30 years old,? she said. ?I?ve been told some of our computers are older than our students.?

Janelle Cranch, president of the district?s chapter of the California School Employees Association, said the union?s 1,600 members support the measure; the Irvine Teachers Association does, too.

?Without additional facilities dollars we will not have sufficient funds to create equity in our schools,? Cranch said. ?This will have a dire long-term implication on our district and on the entire community.?

Irvine resident Kristi Smemoe, representing a group called Preserve Irvine Schools, said she agrees that local schools should get upgrades, but said the bond measure isn?t fair to some homeowners in the facilities improvement district.

Students in some neighborhoods not included in the district will attend schools improved by the measure, she said.

?We do want our aging facilties to be updated and improved,? said Liz Reed, also with Preserve Irvine Schools. ?What we have an issue with is the equitableness of this bond.?

The board did its best to make the bond measure as fair as possible, but there is no way to craft a perfect district, board president Paul Bokota said.

If voters back the measure, planning and design for facilities improvements would begin in 2017.

I agree with Gil Nelsen in the article. IUSD has really mismanaged their budget if they are asking for more money. Anyone who runs an HOA knows you need to set aside a reserve fund for repair/maintenance of facilities. IUSD has known for years that their older schools will require additional work. They purposely kicked the can down the road and now they are crying and asking residents to bail them out.

Of course teachers and unions will support this measure:
1) Teachers would rather preserve a larger part of the current budget for their own salaries
2) Unions love any measure that would support new construction jobs

Residents in the affected areas should vote NO.

What gets me is who determines what percentage it has to pass by?

Previous measures required a 2/3 vote, this one is only 55% which should be easy enough considering most don't understand the ramifications and inefficiency of bond funds.

To me this is taxation without proper representation... I'm throwing Macha green tea into the San Diego Creek!!!!

irvinehomeowner said:
What gets me is who determines what percentage it has to pass by?

Previous measures required a 2/3 vote, this one is only 55% which should be easy enough considering most don't understand the ramifications and inefficiency of bond funds.

To me this is taxation without proper representation... I'm throwing Macha green tea into the San Diego Creek!!!!

"Ax the tax, ax the tax"

Previously it was 2/3 (I think it was put into CA law with prop 13 revolt) for all tax increases but the voters of California were hoodwinked (whoa big surprise) into voting in a lesser amount in exchange for legislatures not getting paid if a balanced budget wasn't passed a few years ago. Of course the court threw the no pay part of the law out, but not the lower threshold for passing bonds/taxes. So........ you can blame your fellow voters, na?ve and trusting sheep who decided to make it possible for bonds to pass more easily.

If the bond doesn't pass they will still fix the school. Just vote no. no brainier

It's plain and simple. If you vote yes, you will increase your property taxes.

The other bad thing about taxing property owners... what about all those renters who use the schools? Why aren't they paying any of this?

irvinehomeowner said:
The other bad thing about taxing property owners... what about all those renters who use the schools? Why aren't they paying any of this?

The landlords will pass on the cost to the renters.  :D

irvinehomeowner said:

they never paid for any of it anyways.  The rental market might increase if the schools get better too. 

jmoney74 said:
they never paid for any of it anyways.  The rental market might increase if the schools get better too.
is that a concern?  The schools are 9/10 on greatschools.  What would need to get done to attract renters?  Rent keeps going up here which tells me that renter's aren't having difficulty finding tenants.

eyephone said:
The landlords will pass on the cost to the renters.  :D
The landlords will pay for it. 

I doubt they can pass the increase down to the renters.  The market will decide whether or not rental rates increase and then the leases will need to expire prior to the increase.  Instead, rental profits will decrease slightly.

So Measure E, yay or nay?  I'm leaning towards no, let the homeowners in the new home areas fund the general fund for all IUSD. 

Back