Laguna Altura is HOT!

gpquest said:
HC is majority Asian. I know cause I live here.

Asian does not actually mean Asian FCB.

The Asians I do know who live in HC are not FCB. The others I know are not Asian.

Mety said:
Any newer villages in Irvine will be all Asian majority regardless of the price range.

I don't count Indian as Asian but I see a lot of non-Asians in Great Park hoods.

But isn't this just a symptom of Irvine demographics?

Anecdotally, when I was hanging out in Laguna Altura, I saw only one Asian family (our friends), the rest were a mix.

irvinehomeowner said:
gpquest said:
HC is majority Asian. I know cause I live here.

Asian does not actually mean Asian FCB.

The Asians I do know who live in HC are not FCB. The others I know are not Asian.

Mety said:
Any newer villages in Irvine will be all Asian majority regardless of the price range.

I don't count Indian as Asian but I see a lot of non-Asians in Great Park hoods.

But isn't this just a symptom of Irvine demographics?

Anecdotally, when I was hanging out in Laguna Altura, I saw only one Asian family (our friends), the rest were a mix.

You don't know what you are talking. Laguna Altura in the Cortona and Toscana tracts are mostly East Asians. In HC, it's about the same.

WTTCHMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I don't count Indian as Asian

Did you fail geography class?

Didn't take one as far as I can remember. And I will admit I am terrible at geography, even US geography.

I know that India is in Asia but when we refer to Asians on TI, usually we are talking about Chinese (will I get banned if I break out Taiwanese?).

gpquest said:
You don't know what you are talking. Laguna Altura in the Cortona and Toscana tracts are mostly East Asians. In HC, it's about the same.

Again, are they FCBs or Gen 2+? I have no doubt that in LA, there are probably majority Asian FCBs, I just didn't see any when I was there (lending to the stereotype that they stay inside or they are actually not even in the US).

For HC, I don't know what the FCB % is because the ones I know there are high wage earners, work in the US and are not FCBs. Also the higher price point may be above the pay and park strategy you see in other hoods.

irvinehomeowner said:
I know that India is in Asia but when we refer to Asians on TI, usually we are talking about Chinese

No, when we refer to FCB's on TI, usually (but not always) we are talking about Chinese.  When we refer to Asians, we're talking about Asians in general.

It's interesting that in the UK, "Asian" means South Asians from former British Colonial India (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka), versus "East Asian" or "Oriental" is used for East and SE Asians from Japan to Burma.

In America we use the racial groupings of White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, and Native American.  However in reality people are often confused with Indian (India) and Pakistanis.  Surveys have found that 42% of American whites don't consider Indians to be Asian: 
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nobody-knows-what-an-asian-person-is_n_591cb4f8e4b03b485cae4d18

As for TI's frequent assumption that FCB = Chinese, the fact is that Mainland Chinese has potentially immense impact to specific areas due to sheer size and economic clout.  Look at real estate markets in palces like Sydney, Vancouver, or Sihanoukville in Cambodia for example.

And there is always that whole Persians are Caucasians thing too. :)

WTTCHMN said:
No, when we refer to FCB's on TI, usually (but not always) we are talking about Chinese.
Not me. My definition of FCB is broader than just Chinese because I know quite a few non-Chinese FCBs live in Irvine.

When we refer to Asians, we're talking about Asians in general.

I disagree based on the context of the conversations I see on TI, like in this thread for example.

@Everyone else: When we refer to "Asians" on TI, do you include South Asians (ie Indians, Pakistanis, etc) in that group?  Or are you referring to mostly East Asians as momopi and gpquest clarified above.

I guess I should make a poll. :)

India is in Asia geographically, but I believe that racially they are grouped under the Indo-European/Caucasian category. (at least Northern Indians, not sure how  Dravidians from Southern India would consider themselves fitting into this construct). Just like Middle Easterners are geographically "in Asia" but really are more Caucasian racially. (Caucasian, but not "white" per se in the way its commonly understood in the U.S.)

I think you need to clarify "Asian" as  East/South or Mid East.  Asia is a huge continent with vastly divergent populations/cultures/languages.

Growing up in SoCal, most of my life when anyone refers to Asians they mean: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Filipino, Thai, Indonesian, Singapore, Malaysian (you get the idea).

When they refer to Indian they call them "Indian" and not Asian.  Agree that most lump Indians and Pakistanis. 

I assume they are just putting groups together based on their physical appearance and not their geographical location.  I don't think Indian's are offended if they are called "Indian" and not "Asian", none of the ones that I know or work with at least.

So when IHO was asking how many FCBs live in HC, he was asking how many non-Americans live there, not necessarily asking how many Chinese cash buyers live there. Am I correct, IHO?

For Asian categorizations, can any Indian friend here say if you call yourself an Asian or not? If I remember correctly, Indians did check under Asian box in high school when they did a survey. Also I did counter one Indian lady that she called herself Asian. Persians did check under White as the teacher was emphasizing that couple times so that they would obey so. Some girl was confused as she was half black and half white but had Hispanic parents.

IHO, you are changing your arguments.  First you say:

irvinehomeowner said:
when we refer to Asians on TI, usually we are talking about Chinese

Now you are saying Asian refers to not only Chinese but all East Asians, just not South Asians:

irvinehomeowner said:
I disagree based on the context of the conversations I see on TI, like in this thread for example.

@Everyone else: When we refer to "Asians" on TI, do you include South Asians (ie Indians, Pakistanis, etc) in that group?  Or are you referring to mostly East Asians...

aquabliss said:
Agree that most lump Indians and Pakistanis. 

I don't think Indian's are offended if they are called "Indian" and not "Asian", none of the ones that I know or work with at least.

Well, you should call one of your co-workers Pakistani by accident and see what happens...

WTTCHMN said:

irvinehomeowner said:

Now you are saying Asian refers to not only Chinese but all East Asians, just not South Asians:

irvinehomeowner said:

@Everyone else: When we refer to "Asians" on TI, do you include South Asians (ie Indians, Pakistanis, etc) in that group?  Or are you referring to mostly East Asians...

That's what the "usually" is for. Most times when "we" (not me in particular), refer to Asians, it's usually Chinese.  That's why sometimes I have to ask if we are talking about Koreans, Vietnamese, Japanese, etc.

But, as others have said, we don't usually group East Asians such as Indians in that "Asian" reference.

Not a change in argument, just a clarification.

irvinehomeowner said:
WTTCHMN said:

irvinehomeowner said:

irvinehomeowner said:

That's what the "usually" is for. Most times when "we" (not me in particular), refer to Asians, it's usually Chinese.  That's why sometimes I have to ask if we are talking about Koreans, Vietnamese, Japanese, etc.

But, as others have said, we don't usually group East Asians such as Indians in that "Asian" reference.

Not a change in argument, just a clarification.

There you go correcting yourself again.  First you say "we", now you say "we (but not me in particular)".  I guess you skipped out on English class in addition to geography.

Is it better if I say "they"? I used "we" to represent much of TI, but there are exceptions such as myself, and I guess you. You've seen enough of my posts where I say "FCBs" does not just mean "Asian" and "Asian" does not mean Chinese... but a large number seems to post that way.

Regardless, more than one member agrees with me on the following:

Asian "usually" equals East Asian

So as I said, to *me*, I don't count Indians when I say Asian. Am I not allowed to have that opinion? Does that really reflect on my geography final?

Mety said:
So when IHO was asking how many FCBs live in HC, he was asking how many non-Americans live there, not necessarily asking how many Chinese cash buyers live there. Am I correct, IHO?

Actually I'm asking about FCBs, someone whose "cash" was sourced from foreign income.

Although nowadays, that seems to blur. As I said, the people I know who live in HC have very high paying jobs, own their own businesses, or as someone else said, flipped equity into an HC home. All these people went to college in the US and could be born in outside of the US but are now citizens.

The FCBs I encounter are usually not citizens, park their money in a house and either rarely live in it or rent it out (see YF's old posts about TIC hoods). But I admit that may not be typical.

I don't doubt that gpquest's contention that HC has a large East Asian demographic but I was wondering if they were FCBs (ie non-citizens). Kenkoko says they are so I guess I just don't know very many FCBs (that's actually true) so maybe my perception is skewed.

I just wasn't sure what the FCB buy rate is once you get up in the $2.5mil range (I think HC is higher now).

irvinehomeowner said:
Mety said:

Actually I'm asking about FCBs, someone whose "cash" was sourced from foreign income.

Although nowadays, that seems to blur. As I said, the people I know who live in HC have very high paying jobs, own their own businesses, or as someone else said, flipped equity into an HC home. All these people went to college in the US and could be born in outside of the US but are now citizens.

The FCBs I encounter are usually not citizens, park their money in a house and either rarely live in it or rent it out (see YF's old posts about TIC hoods). But I admit that may not be typical.

I don't doubt that gpquest's contention that HC has a large East Asian demographic but I was wondering if they were FCBs (ie non-citizens). Kenkoko says they are so I guess I just don't know very many FCBs (that's actually true) so maybe my perception is skewed.

I just wasn't sure what the FCB buy rate is once you get up in the $2.5mil range (I think HC is higher now).

I don't live in HC so I don't know, but I would assume many buyers at HC price range might not be someone who works to earn money even if that is a high paying job. Most buyers there would be cash buyers. Those people are probably mostly retired whether U.S. citizen or not and looking for vacation homes or something like that. I did see some foreign actors/rockstar-ish looking people at model homes when I checked those homes out. They were not Asians.

I personally would buy in Corona Del Mar if I had $2.5m budget to buy a home, but who knows I might change my mind when I reach (if ever) that budget.

aquabliss said:
Growing up in SoCal, most of my life when anyone refers to Asians they mean: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Filipino, Thai, Indonesian, Singapore, Malaysian (you get the idea).

When they refer to Indian they call them "Indian" and not Asian.  Agree that most lump Indians and Pakistanis. 

I assume they are just putting groups together based on their physical appearance and not their geographical location.  I don't think Indian's are offended if they are called "Indian" and not "Asian", none of the ones that I know or work with at least.

The problem with describing a race by geography is that some continents (Asia and Africa, for example), are the homelands of multiple races. Col. Kaddafi always described himself as an African but Libyans are almost racially identical to southern Europeans. 

IHO never said the term FCB was exclusive to Chinese but that is now we have used the term on this board over the years. When Graph claimed there was no FCB influence on Irvine RE prices, he was talking about Chinese. Maybe if we used the earlier cold war definition of FCB (Fuckin' Commie Bastard) we will have a more precise definition of FCB.

Back