Is Harvard Unfair to Asian-Americans?

Look at the bright side guys, by not admitting all the Asians into colleges it continues to give you guys a challenge to overcome. You guys can come up with new methods of memorizing things, new ways to cheat on tests, etc. the current set up takes away the complacency that would be created if they let you guys all into Harvard :)

College admission officers also see Irvine as a bland, boring, and uninspiring city and how could kids raised in such a setting possibly be a good fit for their school? Being asian is worst enough. The best bet is the UC system where applicants are chosen based purely on test scores and merit base regardless of race hence the 50% Asian student population. Luckily my daughter speaks fluent Spanish and has some redeeming facets. What Veronica said is so true.

nyc to oc said:
irvinehomeowner said:
So it's not really Irvine that is preventing kids from getting into an Ivy... it's the Irvine racial profile.

So IHS' daughter was doomed from birth... qwermexican has the right advice to have his kid check the Habla Espanol box on the college application.

yes, but the racial stereotyping is worse if you're at a school that's comprised of 50% of the same race.  I do alumni interviews and I can attest to this. Better move to villa park instead. Get a nicer house in the bargain too :)
So IHS double-doomed himself by sending his kid to a school with a large asian population (if I remember correctly, it's a TUSD school but in Irvine).

So if you want your kid to get into an Ivy, it's not so much living in Irvine, it's:

1. Don't be Asian
2. Don't send your kid to an Irvine school

If you are any of the above then you can help remedy the situation by:

1. Marrying a non-Asian
2. Making sure your nanny or gardener talks to your kid all the time in their native language
3. Make large donations to the Ivy you are looking at

:)

irvinehomeowner said:
nyc to oc said:
irvinehomeowner said:
So it's not really Irvine that is preventing kids from getting into an Ivy... it's the Irvine racial profile.

So IHS' daughter was doomed from birth... qwermexican has the right advice to have his kid check the Habla Espanol box on the college application.

yes, but the racial stereotyping is worse if you're at a school that's comprised of 50% of the same race.  I do alumni interviews and I can attest to this. Better move to villa park instead. Get a nicer house in the bargain too :)
So IHS double-doomed himself by sending his kid to a school with a large asian population (if I remember correctly, it's a TUSD school but in Irvine).

So if you want your kid to get into an Ivy, it's not so much living in Irvine, it's:

1. Don't be Asian
2. Don't send your kid to an Irvine school

If you are any of the above then you can help remedy the situation by:

1. Marrying a non-Asian
2. Making sure your nanny or gardener talks to your kid all the time in their native language
3. Make large donations to the Ivy you are looking at

:)

4) be a legacy and live in irvine. Don't enroll your kids in any waste of time/money tutoring crap and steal the one and only harvard irvine spot from someone who practically killed themselves in HS to get it.  ;D

qwerty said:
Look at the bright side guys, by not admitting all the Asians into colleges it continues to give you guys a challenge to overcome. You guys can come up with new methods of memorizing things, new ways to cheat on tests, etc. the current set up takes away the complacency that would be created if they let you guys all into Harvard :)
On another note in this morning news they were running a segment on worst passwords, No.3 or 4 was "Qwerty" :)

My mistake is your gain folks! Irvine Asian kids are too predictable and many are pretty close to the stereotypes cited by Veronica. Top colleges are looking for surprisess and not the typical asians molded by the same sheeple environment. The school my daughter is attending accepted numerous foreign students born and raised in Hong Kong and China fluent in Mandarin, Cantonese and English. The surprise is that the foreign students are Caucasians.

Activists: Harvard Discriminates Against Asian-American Students in Admissions Process

By Kristine Hoang Thu., May 14 2015 at 7:33 AM

Tomorrow, representatives from over 40 Asian American organizations will hold a press conference in The National Press Club in Washington, D.C. to complain against Harvard University for allegedly discriminating against Asian-Americans in its undergraduate admissions process. A corresponding press conference will also be held by a political action committee called The Orange Club (TOC) and several Southern California-based Asian-American organizations at the University Community Park in Irvine at 10 a.m the same day.

A complaint issued by a coalition of Asian American organizations--addressed to the Office for Civil Rights of U.S. Department of Education and Civil Rights Division of U.S. Department of Justice--claims that Harvard College has used (1) intentional discrimination against Asian Americans; (2) racial rebalancing, a de facto racial quota; and (3) race well beyond merely a 'plus' factor." The coalition says Harvard has violated Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, and national origin in programs receiving federal financial assistance.

The authors of these complaints want the Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights and the Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division to launch investigations into Harvard's admissions process. If there is proof that Harvard uses racial quotas, they want Harvard to cease its "use of race in the admissions process" and "disclose the qualifications of its applicant pool, at least at a level comparable to such data disclosed by other public universities."

According to enrollment data from the National Center for Education Statistics, the percentage of Asian-Americans who enrolled at Harvard decreased by over 50 percent over the last two decades even though the Asian-American population nearly doubled between 1992 and 2011. At the same time, Asian-American enrollment at the California Institute of Technology, which is also highly selective, has grown proportionally with the Asian-American population growth.

Research by Thomas J. Espenshade, Senior Scholar and Sociology professor at Princeton University, suggests that if race wasn't considered in university admissions, Asian applicants would be the "biggest winners." He writes:

Asian candidates are at a disadvantage in admission compared to their white, African-American, and Hispanic counterpart. Removing this disadvantage at the same time preferences for African Americans and Hispanics are eliminated results in a significant gain in the acceptance rate for Asian students--from 17.6 percent to 23.4 percent. Asians, who comprised 29.5 percent of total applicants in 1997, would make up 31.5 percent of accepted students in the simulation, compared with an actual proportion of 23.7 percent.

Harvard, however, insists that its admissions process remains "holistic."

Email: khoang@ocweekly.com.

Harvard discriminates against Asians as it once did to Jews

By Betsy McCaughey

May 19, 2015 | 6:22pm

If you?re applying to Harvard and your last name is Wong or Liu, changing it to Lopez or Luciano might just make the difference you need to get in.

Harvard routinely rejects ?Asian? applicants in favor of whites and sought-after minorities with lower test scores and grades.

Enrollment data reveal that Harvard limits Asian-Americans to a flat 15-18 percent of the student body, year after year, though they increasingly dominate the top of the applicant pool.

To smoke out ethnicity, Harvard requires applicants to provide their parents? place of birth, mother?s maiden name and whether their family has ever changed its name.

These questions, along with an interview requirement, were devised in the 1920s to limit the number of Jewish students. Now Asians are the new Jews, welcome only in limited numbers.

Last Friday, 64 Asian-American organizations filed a complaint with the Department of Education challenging Harvard?s quota system. Harvard denies it has one, but the evidence that it does is convincing ? and sickening.

The complaint states that Harvard is violating Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by discriminating on the basis of race. Harvard general counsel Robert W. Iuliano responds that the college?s admissions process is ?highly individualized? and ?holistic.? But admissions data say otherwise.

Amazingly, no matter how the racial makeup of the applicant pool changes year to year, the outcome is the same cookie-cutter student body: 15-18 percent Asian, 42-49 percent white, 6-8 percent African-American and 7-9 percent Hispanic, plus others.

It?s not believable that this could be happening absent racial quotas, when Asian high-school students make up twice the share of total college applicants that they did two decades ago, and they are sweeping up academic prizes everywhere.

In New York, Asians make up 7 percent of the population but garner nearly one-third of the National Merit Scholarship finalists. Asians represent 11 percent of California high-school students but 60 percent of that state?s National Merit Scholars.

California bans taking race into consideration in its university admissions. No surprise that Asians are now 42 percent of the students at Cal Tech, up from 25 percent two decades ago.

If race were not being used to limit Asian acceptances, the same thing would be happening at Harvard. The Harvard Crimson reports that Asians have to score hundreds of points higher on their SATs to get accepted.

They?re not competing against all applicants, just other Asians.

The Ivy League?s Asian quotas are an open secret. Princeton Review, a guide for students applying to college, warns Asian-Americans not to attach a picture or write their essay on the importance of family: ?If you are an Asian-American ? or even if you simply have an Asian or Asian-sounding surname ? you need to be careful about what you do and don?t say.?

Harvard says it treats each applicant as an individual, but pigeonholing someone as ?Asian? is hardly individualistic. Asian includes those from India, Korea, China, Vietnam, Japan or many other cultures, and religions ranging from Buddhist to Hindu to Christian to Muslim.

The complaint concedes that racial diversity is an important goal in assembling a college class, but it cites plenty of evidence that giving poor kids a leg up in the admissions process is just as effective as racial quotas in making sure African-Americans and Hispanics get in: ?We are willing to support such Affirmative Action.?

Fair enough. And it will also benefit students like Kai Chan, who is named in the complaint and is now earning a doctorate at Princeton. ?I am the son of poor, non-English-speaking parents, neither of whom attended high school.

They never read to me as a child?.?.?. I attended five high schools, one of which was known locally as ?last chance high,??? says Chan.

Despite working nearly full-time through high school and college, Chan is making his mark as a scholar. Too bad Harvard?s admissions system was rigged against him, simply because his name is Chan.

Betsy McCaughey is a senior fellow at the London Center for Policy Research.

Irvine Dream said:
WTTCHMN said:
Harvard discriminates against Asians as it once did to Jews
You have to look at it this way.  By not choosing the best, Harvard is not going to be able to maintain it's ranking.  Just give it time.  USC is only one of the very few private Universities that still provides Merit Scholarship and it should be attracting all clever kids that hails from upper middle class.  So in 20 years time USC > Harvard.

I "assume" that "possibly" the alumni and/or donors have a say who gets in.

WTTCHMN said:
If you?re applying to Harvard and your last name is Wong or Liu, changing it to Lopez or Luciano might just make the difference you need to get in.

F.  no wonder i didn't get into harvard...

Isn't there some irony in this?  I think we can all agree that Asians are a rather racist people. Yet they are complaining when they get discriminated against. The only true meritocracy is professional sports. And you guys aren't good enough there either :)

qwerty said:
Isn't there some irony in this?  I think we can all agree that Asians are a rather racist people. Yet they are complaining when they get discriminated against. The only true meritocracy is professional sports. And you guys aren't good enough there either :)

of course it is irony...  asians are minority in this country.  however, we were never treated as minority.  we were not even treated as regular.  we are getting discriminated against...

qwerty said:

That's why I've always said the only legitimate scholarship is the sports scholarship; merit can be fudged, talent can not be fudged.  No amount of affirmative action or alumni bribery can create a sports star.

Back