Irvine's 5th High School

qwerty said:
gld2 said:
which community will be go to the 5th High School?

you would think portola springs, stonegate/east, woodbury/east would all get rezoned to SUPERFUND HIGH

Would this change the calculus of future Lambert Ranch buyers as well? No guarantee your young kids won't get zoned out of NW High in the next 10 years.

the newer, the better, right?  similar to Northwood high which is newer

iacrenter said:
qwerty said:
gld2 said:
which community will be go to the 5th High School?

you would think portola springs, stonegate/east, woodbury/east would all get rezoned to SUPERFUND HIGH

Would this change the calculus of future Lambert Ranch buyers as well? No guarantee your young kids won't get zoned out of NW High in the next 10 years.

An update;http://articles.dailypilot.com/2013...ol-board-fivepoint-communities-40-acre-parcel
Several interesting points:
1. It looks like Woodbury, Cypress Village, Stonegate, Portola Hills (Spring) and Heritage Field will be assigned to this 5th high school
2. Most of Heritage Fileld with be in Saddleback Unified School District - El Toro High School. This will hurt the values for these homes
3. Currently site is remote and close to the jail, which is expanding from minimum security jail into something bigger...
4. high school is expected to open/complete by fall 2016

Attachments

• Irvine 5th High School.png
    Irvine 5th High School.png
    728.6 KB · Views: 2,193
lcms2002 said:
High School #5

From IUSD website

The District's fifth high school will be located in the Heritage Fields/Great Park development. It is currently scheduled to open in 2016.

Assistant Director of Facilities: Lorrie Ruiz
Construction Projects Supervisor: To Be Determined
Architect: To Be Determined
Construction Manager: To Be Determined

Any questions regarding this project should be directed to Lorrie Ruiz, Assistant Director of Facilities,            949.936.5308      ,
or via email, LorrieRuiz@iusd.org.

Just some quick revisions:

Assistant Director of Facilities: Lorrie Ruiz
Construction Projects Supervisor: Ed Hernandez and Bruce Monroe
Architect: HMC Architects
Construction Manager: CW Driver

"O" Street might be renamed to Perimeter Road.  Yet to be confirmed.

Here's the site plan

site+plan.jpg

Have they decided on the site?  I know that there were three sites considered.  One near Musick and one near the site of the old school with the health concerns.  The site plan provided seems to indicate that it is on the site near Musick, but not sure if that was the final determination

I see, the site has been determined...close to the jail

"Scheduled to open in time for the 2016-2017 academic year, the new school will be built at a location south of Irvine Boulevard adjacent to the old El Toro Marine Corps Air Base entrance"

Marty said:
I see, the site has been determined...close to the jail

"Scheduled to open in time for the 2016-2017 academic year, the new school will be built at a location south of Irvine Boulevard adjacent to the old El Toro Marine Corps Air Base entrance"

Are you sure it's final?  I thought City Council is still debating because Musick Jail will be transitioning from a 1,000 inmates low security jail to 7500 maximum security prison.

"Agran also objected to the site being 1,000 yards from Musick Jail, which houses 1,000 inmates in a low-security setting but in time will be transformed to hold 3,100, and eventually 7,500, maximum-security prisoners."

"The sites could be reviewed if an issue were to arise later or if the EIR were to fail, Shea said."

http://articles.dailypilot.com/2013-04-13/news/tn-dpt-0414-irvine-council-high-school-20130413_1_school-board-fivepoint-communities-40-acre-parcel

Any chance the EIR failed??

I just can't imagine Irvine parents will be OK with sending their kid to a high school near a maximum security prison.  I'd rather transfer my kids to Irvine High than to this 5th high school.

Every time some idiot decides to make a break for it, the 5th high school will go into a lockdown.  The amount of instructional time LOST and having kids BANNED from going to the bathroom for lord knows how many hours and of course parents can't pick up their kids in a lockdown will drive Irvine parents insane.  Also does Irvine City Council really want this 5th high school on the news all the time because it went into another lockdown?

Or are they planning to send some of those inmates to 5th high school for some re-education?

I just called IUSD and it is confirmed that the 5th high school site is slated for the Irvine Blvd location.  They are undergoing the environmental reviews and so far they have not foreseen any issues with getting it passed.

I told her that as a parent buying in CV I am very concerned about my girls attending a high school so close to a max security prison.  She said that the boundary assignments have not been finalized and it will not be addressed until end of 2013. 

I doubt anything west of the 133 will be zoned to the new high school.  GPN alone will have 10,000 homes which is enough to fill the school.  Add in PS and it will already be overcrowded.

The Musick facility (nick named as "the Farm"), which is one of three facilities in Orange County,  should not be much concern, I know a few cases there, minor offense, such as hitting wives.  Serious offense will be detained in Satan Ana and Orange, Though the Farm will be expanded as planned, it posts no real threat to residential nearby.  Whether I want to send my kids there really depends on teaching credentials, education programs and state-of-art facilities on site, I would like to see how IUSD is going to develop this school.

lcms2002 said:
The Musick facility (nick named as "the Farm"), which is one of three facilities in Orange County,  should not be much concern, I know a few cases there, minor offense, such as hitting wives.  Serious offense will be detained in Satan Ana and Orange, Though the Farm will be expanded as planned, it posts no real threat to residential nearby.  Whether I want to send my kids there really depends on teaching credentials, education programs and state-of-art facilities on site, I would like to see how IUSD is going to develop this school.

That's the part that makes this all very confusing.  At first it seems like Musick is for low level offenses, like you said.  If they plan on expanding "The Farm" to MORE minor offenders I would have no problem.  Low level offenses has to go somewhere, such as DUI offenders, etc.

But the recent news article is making it seem like it will be a maximum-security facility for serious offenders, like the ones in Santa Ana and Orange.  So which will it be in 2016, low-level or max-level?

New homes being built in Irvine.. attached housing only.. here is phase 1

At build out..

Plan 1 floorplan..

Kitchen floorplan

Our neighbors..

Most important of all.. no MELLO ROOS!  But I hear the HOA is a bitch though... can't do this.. can't do that..

Nice!  Half the Great Park is going to be a golf course, and the rest an actual park.  No residential at all. 

lcms2002 said:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/musick-343850-jail-inmates.html
Please read this article.  I don't think this expansion is to hold serious offenders.  Because of population growth in OC, there is not enough room for low level offenders.  I believe that the Farm remains to hold low level inmates.

That OC Register article was dated back in 2012.  Which is why I believe Irvine City Council went ahead and approved the 5th high school because back in 2012 the Musick Jail expansion would not impact the Irvine community.

However in April 2013, the County changed its mind on the Musick Jail.http://www.ocregister.com/articles/jail-498824-irvine-musick.html

==== excerpt ====
But converting the jail, as the county now plans so it can house violent offenders, poses new risks to our community that are simply unnecessary. We would be horrified if a violent criminal escaped from the jail and made his way into a nearby neighborhood.

To put the sheer scale of the proposed expansion in context, San Quentin has 3,082 beds. The largest state prison ? the California Correctional Center in Susanville ? has 3,883 beds. Musick would have 7,584 at buildout. That's larger than San Quentin and Susanville combined. The numbers are simply staggering.

=====

So which way will this pendulum end up swinging?  I don't know.  All I know is if the County screws Irvine over, we Irvine taxpayers/Mello Roos payers paid for a beautiful new high school in the wrong part of the hood.

ZeroLot, your link is not news report, rather someone made comments against the expansion.  Unless you may find city or county proceedings to change 2012 decision, the Farm remains what is now. To hold serious offenders, the design of new expansion would be very different.

Back