Indications that the market is slowing down a bit?

A little cause of concern, but not really. I noticed foreclosures popping up in the ie area, and other parts.

Ready2Downsize said:
Eliminate loans for EVERYONE or only "those in need" and undocumented kids who happen to live here?

Maybe I'll have my grand kids come back and qualify for in state tuition (free).

By the time it's implemented all the Chinese babies from the birth motels can come back and get their education for free too. No need for even a loan.

In fact might as well put the welcome mat out for everyone in the world to come and establish themselves as in state.

California USED to have free community college for everyone. Why not get that back first? Oh, no money for that? hmmm....

Way to go California.

It's not free.

Under the new plan, students still would have access to existing financial aid, including federal Pell Grants, state programs such as Cal Grants, university grants and Middle Class Scholarships (if they are not eliminated as Gov. Jerry Brown has proposed). Parents making more than $60,000 would be expected to make a contribution, and students also would be expected to chip in by holding part-time jobs year-round. The new scholarship would cover the rest of the average annual cost of college, which is around $21,000 at Cal State and $33,000 at UC.

UC already covers tuition and some living expenses for students whose families earn less than $80,000 a year. But the 10-campus system requires that students, regardless of income, contribute about $9,700 annually. That ?self-help? requirement ? which the debt-free proposal would retain at some level.

You're stressin' way too much over this. Don't stretch your finances to buy a house (20%+ down and back-end DTI closer to 25% than 45%) and everything will work out fine. What's the worst case scenario? What's the probability of this occurring? What's the best case scenario? What's the probability of this? You'll land somewhere in the middle.

I can agree with don't stretch. There's another crowd on TI that say stretch.

But I don't believe in everything is going to be alright. Because who is going to bail you out when something goes wrong? (possibly a family member?) For me no one.. ;)

Perspective said:
You're stressin' way too much over this. Don't stretch your finances to buy a house (20%+ down and back-end DTI closer to 25% than 45%) and everything will work out fine. What's the worst case scenario? What's the probability of this occurring? What's the best case scenario? What's the probability of this? You'll land somewhere in the middle.

Whether the FMV of your house increases 20%+ soon after your purchase (thanks Strada!), or decreases 20%, it's just a temporary balance sheet issue. You don't need a bailout from anyone.

Unless you have significant wealth after making your downpayment, any income disruption will be a problem. Prolonged income disruption will be a serious problem. But this is a problem whether or not you own or rent.

I've said it here before. I just don't get hearing my renting friends so fearful of losing money on buying a house. Most of these renting friends buy/lease new lux cars every two years and lose tens of thousands in this process, yet don't blink an eye at the financial loss.

Maybe we are talking about different things. I think your ranking about the value of the house going up and down.

I'm talking about if you stretch your budget relating to monthly cash flow. Let me give you real life scenarios: need to replace appliance at home or business you own (if you can't cook, then you can't sell), your laser printer/copier needs to be replaced (if you can't print, then you can't invoice), and my favorite scenario your budget is so stretched that you have to eat instant cup of noodles/ramen almost everyday.

For me I have a padding and reserve.

Perspective said:
Whether the FMV of your house increases 20%+ soon after your purchase (thanks Strada!), or decreases 20%, it's just a temporary balance sheet issue. You don't need a bailout from anyone.

Also, it may apply to investment rental. I forgot the sn, but he bought a place and I believe he miscalculated or did not calculate all the costs involved in owning a rental. I believe he was not cash flow positive and wanted to sell the place.

In conclusion, he over stretched his budget for his investment property.

These are probably the same kind of people who take HELOCS to buy bling bling goodies , cars, vacations name brands, etc etc. With social media so accessible nowadays, flaunting your bling is next level compared to back in the days.

YellowFever said:
This one seems like a reasonable deal, but stuck on the market for 158 days??  $/sqft is better than new and is bigger than Petaluma for less $/sqft.  Not to mention, backyard landscape is all done.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/62-Rockcress-92618/unit-83/home/57000731

Marigold is sort of similar to Marin and also has very nice and space efficient floor plan.

Marigold is a very good choice, it is just as popular as Jasmin, Petaluma's twin here at CV,.  However I think one of the reason this one is on the market for so long is because its closeness to the Sand Canyon. 

Also the Marigold located at this extension lot are further from the park and elementary school.  The Marigold that are located at the initial site are the most ideal.  Close to the park and further away from both the main road and I-5. 

Yellow is just trying to convince himself market is slowing. He's a glass half empty/ zerohedge type guy.

Will miss out on big gains in market then proclaim victory when market drops 15% in 2120  :)

I stopped reading zerohedge and shorting stock market after shorting Netflix and baidu in 2011 and almost losing everything.

I'm a glass half full type guy now and my brokerage account thanks me.

Back