Home security system

bones said:
Coleman said:
Golf to relieve stress?  You must be a unique person, haha. 

Not unique - I think it's more of a female versus male thing.  I play golf for fun.  And it's an excuse to buy cute golf outfits.

So Pilates must be your reason to buy an outfit for each day of the week from Lululemon?  ;D

One thing we all should do is to be aware of the cars in the neighborhood.  Recognize your neighbors cars and mentally log any unfamiliar cars.  And call IrvinePD if you see a guy sitting in a car for an extensive amt of time.  I make eye contact with any strangers driving by, just to let them know I'm aware.

Tyler Durden said:
Or you can get a drop cam, connect it to your wifi and have it send you alerts to your phone or email when it detects motion or sound.

it even has infrared for night time monitoring.

If you want to record the activity, drop cam offers cloud based video recording for a monthly fee.

What happens if the crook first turns off all power to the house?

Probably why the IPD recommended to PS9 to lock that box outside, although it has its drawbacks.

paperboyNC said:
Tyler Durden said:
Or you can get a drop cam, connect it to your wifi and have it send you alerts to your phone or email when it detects motion or sound.

it even has infrared for night time monitoring.

If you want to record the activity, drop cam offers cloud based video recording for a monthly fee.

What happens if the crook first turns off all power to the house?

ps9 said:
  And call IrvinePD if you see a guy sitting in a car for an extensive amt of time.  I make eye contact with any strangers driving by, just to let them know I'm aware.

I did that recently. It was night time so I went and grabbed a Maglite, stood on my sidewalk and flashed him in the face until I saw some results. He got out and walked into the house four doors down. He was my neighbor. Oopsies. (Door to door is further here than it is to most Irvineites. That's why I didn't recognize him.)

I went to my friend's house this week and he wasn't home yet and said on the phone he'd be there in only 15min so I waited in the driveway that he shares with his neighbors. He ended up taking about 40min to get home and one of his neighbor's came outside with 5 little dogs that started jumping on my vehicle. I wasn't sure if I should get out and explain myself or not but luckily my friend pulled up just then.

SoCal said:
ps9 said:
  And call IrvinePD if you see a guy sitting in a car for an extensive amt of time.  I make eye contact with any strangers driving by, just to let them know I'm aware.

I did that recently. It was night time so I went and grabbed a Maglite, stood on my sidewalk and flashed him in the face until I saw some results. He got out and walked into the house four doors down. He was my neighbor. Oopsies. (Door to door is further here than it is to most Irvineites. That's why I didn't recognize him.)

Are you sure you also didn't point a red beam with the light?  ;)

Installing this today:

http://www.amazon.com/Fortress-Security-Store-Wireless-Outdoor/dp/B00A1D911K/

A basic security system I got for around $150 prior to Christmas.  Skip the included manual and go straight to their website for instructions:
http://www.fortresssecuritystore.com/index.php/so2-alarm-system/

The videos on their webpage are helpful.  Seems to be made here in the US but I'll have to check.  Comes with two motion sensors, 10 door/windor sensors, and two sirens.  It also calls out to assigned phone numbers when alarm is triggered.  No monitoring fee.  Sensors are wireless, so just need to be double side taped or drywalled to specified area.  When alarm is triggered, it will send out a pre-recorded message to the assigned numbers:  So if you put IrvinePD's number, the recording should scream "Help!  Send po-po to xxx now!" or something similar.  And yes, if someone cuts the power to my house, it has a back up battery (not sure how long, emailing them now). 

Need some expert opinion/insight:

We're buying a new construction and planning to install security cameras around the house perimeter (front porch, side yard and backyard).  The security package from the builder is ridiculously expensive.  I'm planning to just buy a Lorex wireless security system.  My main concern is even though wireless, these cameras would need power outlets and am not sure how do you discreetly power the camera (I don't line to run a long visible power line from outside to inside of the house).  I can probably ask the builder to install extra outlets on the outside where I want the camera, but that would look weird and visible which could defeat the purpose.

Anybody have experience with installing one and how did you do it ?  Thanks.

ps9 said:
Installing this today:

http://www.amazon.com/Fortress-Security-Store-Wireless-Outdoor/dp/B00A1D911K/

A basic security system I got for around $150 prior to Christmas.  Skip the included manual and go straight to their website for instructions:
http://www.fortresssecuritystore.com/index.php/so2-alarm-system/

The videos on their webpage are helpful.  Seems to be made here in the US but I'll have to check.  Comes with two motion sensors, 10 door/windor sensors, and two sirens.  It also calls out to assigned phone numbers when alarm is triggered.  No monitoring fee.  Sensors are wireless, so just need to be double side taped or drywalled to specified area.  When alarm is triggered, it will send out a pre-recorded message to the assigned numbers:  So if you put IrvinePD's number, the recording should scream "Help!  Send po-po to xxx now!" or something similar.  And yes, if someone cuts the power to my house, it has a back up battery (not sure how long, emailing them now). 

ps9, please don't take this the wrong way but although your alarm system is better than no alarm system, it is not difficult to disable the unit.  Since this is an 'all in one' system where the keypad, brain, receiver and dialer are all in the keypad, it only requires an intruder to go to the keypad and rip it out of the wall within the 'entry delay' time (time allowed for homeowner to enter home and enter code in keypad) to render the alarm disabled and no call or siren goes off.  Usually those systems also beep to let you know you are within the entry delay time frame so it helps intruders track down where the unit is (most home alarms usually beep).  Units where the 'brain' and keypad are separate and the brain is hidden somewhere else in the house (not in an adjacent closet) is a better (but usually more expensive) solution since ripping the keypad off the wall only kills the keypad but the brain is still counting down and is able to call out and sound the siren.

I used to have a system similar to the one you show but switched to a 'separate' system when I realized that yanking the keypad out and cutting the wires 'kills' the all in one alarms ability to do anything.

Either way, make sure you put a lock on the phone line access cover that is on the outside of your house to make it harder for them to cut the phone line that your alarm calls out on.  Most homes only have a screw holding the cover closed.  If you can go with a cellular dialer, that is even better.

davenlei said:
Either way, make sure you put a lock on the phone line access cover that is on the outside of your house to make it harder for them to cut the phone line that your alarm calls out on.  Most homes only have a screw holding the cover closed.  If you can go with a cellular dialer, that is even better.

this is why i like cellular based alarms vs land line/cable based alarms.

qwerty said:
davenlei said:

And battery backups?

paperboyNC said:
qwerty said:
davenlei said:

And battery backups?

yeah mine has a battery backup in case they were to turn off the power, has the smash and dash feature as well

smash and dash -  The moment an intruder triggers an alarm sensor (door, window, motion, etc?), a signal is sent and is ready to sound the alarm with the monitoring station.  If no pass code from the home owner is received, that alarm is sent, and the proper authorities are notified ? and dispatched.

Back