Home security system

irvinehomeowner said:
Speaking of, I find it funny when people drive into their garage and close it before they get out of their car.

As if they don't want us neighbors to see them.

hhmm.. guilty of this but it never crossed my mind that its because I don't want our neighbor to see us.  its just a matter of habit to close the garage door just before turning off the engine to make sure the door does not hit the front bumper ..

I never use my garage. I park on the driveway and always use my front door and collect the Jehovah witness pamphlets left on my door steps  and recycle them .

A garage is meant for cars to be parked. Unless you use your garage for storage/bonus room/man cave/game room/ or you illegally converted your garage to another bedroom.  ;D

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only diligent (neurotic?) person that checks for this.  :p

In my case, it is a necessity since my wife constantly forgets to lock the doors even though I nag her about it all the time. 

Tyler Durden said:
i usually do a sweep of the doors and outside gate each night before i head upstairs to bed.

i check the garage door, turn off the outdoor lights for the porch and backyard, check the locks on the sliding doors, the front door and ensure all windows are closed (in case of rain / condensation).

its such a part of my routine, i cannot imagine not doing it.

Tyler Durden said:
i usually do a sweep of the doors and outside gate each night before i head upstairs to bed.

i check the garage door, turn off the outdoor lights for the porch and backyard, check the locks on the sliding doors, the front door and ensure all windows are closed (in case of rain / condensation).

its such a part of my routine, i cannot imagine not doing it.

My wife always tell me that I don't routinely check the doors if they are locked at night.  My excuse is always that's why we set the alarm at night :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Speaking of, I find it funny when people drive into their garage and close it before they get out of their car.

I do this all the time. I also do it in reverse-order when I'm leaving the house. It's so gardeners & passers-by don't gawk when I'm getting in & out of the car while dressed indecent. Especially the gardeners. We all know how they are.

I'm surprised TD is meticulous about locking up, sometimes it sounds like he wants an intruder to "make his day".

SI2_20Make_20my_20day.jpg

"Well, do ya?"

I think this is "normal" in Irvine.  I do it all the time myself.

But, there are those that start closing the garage door when their car is about 2/3 of the way in.  There's no misunderstanding there.  :p

irvinehomeowner said:

I guess because I don't want the car running when I close the door and I like to check if I parked the correct distance from the front of the garage before I send the door down on my bumper.

My garage is full of stolen goods. I use it for storage and activities listed in IHO's 3CWG thread.

eyephone said:
A garage is meant for cars to be parked. Unless you use your garage for storage/bonus room/man cave/game room/ or you illegally converted your garage to another bedroom.  ;D

Remember if your house is dark during Christmas:

1). Keep the lights on!  More the better.
2). Have a trusted neighbor pick up your mail/paper and Jehovah's Witness pamphlets.  If you'll be away during trash day, ask your neighbor to pull the trash cans in.  Or just not do trash that week.
3). Do not tell your gardener, housekeeper, dog walker, contractor, etc. that you will not be home on Christmas
3).  Keep a TV/radio on, a la "Home Alone".
4). Minimize packing your family in the car exposed (i.e. Garage door open)
5). Walk around your property and think like a burglar:  what's the easiest access pint?  Reinforce that entry!
6). Don't have time for a security system?  Fake it! http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Dummy-Security-Camera-Blinking/dp/B0013Q1XTM
7). Look out for "scouters" in your neighborhood, man in a car for a few hours in front of house?  Call Irvine PD (949) 724-7200.  Get the license/make/model of car first.

Christmas is harder for burglars than say Thanksgiving, since people can celebrate on the 24th or 25th versus one Turkey Day.  But people are still likely to travel and be far away for a whole day. 

When you are home you usually leave some lower windows open. If you are going for a short shopping trip like for a few hours then you only leave some windows on the second floor open. If you are away on a trip then all your windows are closed and the AC is not running. A simple drive by I can usually tell. If I am interested in your house then I leave a fake package on your front door step and tape a Johovah's witness on your garage door where you can see it if the garage door is your primary access. Family travel will always encompasses the weekends so the best time for me to check back is Saturday morning whether you have picked up my package or removed the pamphlet. Closed windows and shut off AC is a dead give away. Forget those "Home Alone" tricks. If you really want to spoil a pro like me wire your down lights on a timer.

bones said:
qwerty said:
bones said:

Damn  - bones has been grumpy lately.

haha.  damn you picked up on this?  i need to perk up.  maybe 2014 will help me out of these holiday blues.

do you work out? nothing like being outside to bring your spirits up. i did two walks today for a total of 3 miles with the kid/stroller and the dogs. going outside for a walk with the dogs or a quick jog always helps me keep my spirits up. maybe thats why im such a happy person :)

although it sounds like you have a toddler(s) so you may not have the freedom to go outside and workout.

Golf to relieve stress?  You must be a unique person, haha. 

Go do some hiking at Whiting Ranch.  Right from the beginning you feel as if you are isolated in nature. 

Speaking of security systems, can someone email the head of security at every major bank and tell them to upgrade to some 1080p video cameras. I am tired of seeing bank robberies in horrible 1990s webcam resolution. 

Back