Hidden Canyon in Irvine

You can but you will need to make minor modifications to the cabinets.  You'll need spacers/fillers to bridge the the gaps between the fridge and cabinets.  They won't make it fit the 60" fridge unless you get the fridge from them.

ps9 said:
Can you install a built in fridge after COE?  Doesn't the builder put in deterrent cabinets so it will be really expensive to mod?

Laniakea said:
happios said:
The upgraded cabinet package basically has a more contemporary look and builds the cabinet all the way to the ceiling including the moulding. And yes it requires a 60" fridge and that's about $18000.

To me must have  structural options are pocket doors and master deck.  Fresh package for the kitchen cabinet looks nice but it's pretty costly.

eatthis said:
the dancer said:
How do you feel about the furniture package?  Design rep said we will regret it if we do not get it.  Don't know if she's genuine or trying to sell us. Do u think it will be hard to replicate the furniture package cabinets after COE??

I thought the standard cabinets looked fine. If I recall correctly, the furniture package also requires you to upgrade to the 60" (2 x 30") refrigerator, which is outlandishly expensive. We passed.

They charge $18k for 60" sub-zero fridge?? That so ridiculous. Most of high end fridge dealers charge $13k for the exact model plus $300-$500 for delivery and installation. Why 5K more? That sounds so O_C..

The 60" fridge is $16800 (for two 30" units), including either stainless or cabinet front panels. We were quoted $15900 for stainless front, and $18k for cabinet front at Pacific Sales, incl delivery and hook up. So if you go with cabinet front, you're actually getting a deal going through TB. If stainless, for $900 I'd rather not deal with potential cabinet fitment problems. I thought the fridges were a steal... cuz I was quoted $30k for the same 60" set up at Amelia...

I heard from another buyer that you can now get the furniture pkg with a 48" fridge instead of the 60". Keep in mind you will also need to upgrade to the 'Pro Appliance Pkg' for $2800 if you opt for the furniture pkg, which replaces the standard rangetop with a full-size range, and adds an extra wall oven.

We're at 4.4% with structurals, electrical, cabinets, fridges, appliances, and plumbing all in. Doing countertops and flooring after COE.

Regarding voiding warranties, it's only a 1yr warranty anyway, almost impossible not to void anything unless you buy everything through the builder.

Good deals: flat screen prewire, extra outlet, kitchen sink, fridge. Do structural options count?

Thanks Marutaro for the info.  The design rep gave me the wrong price on the 60" fridge. I will have a bone to pick w her.  Yes, please share what structural options are good deals w TB. I'm definitely gonna ask about the 48" fridge with the furniture package.  She never gave me that option.  I'm so happy I found this forum because there's so much information to digest/decide and the design reps don't help.

ps9 said:
So for the buyers who bought a new home (non-HC) with the pocket door option, worth it?  Bug issues?  Would you opt for it again or go with something with a screen door?

In our home, we had the option of doing 3 pocket doors (1 great room, 1 guest house, 1 morning room) and after going back and forth of whether to do all 3, we chose to only do the great room, mainly because of cost issues (great room door was $13,000, and each of the other two doors were $10,000). Even thought he decision was made mainly due to cost issues, I'm incredibly glad we didn't do all 3 doors. Opening the doors is great for the occasional party (when temps outside aren't too hot or too cold), but on a day to day basis very impractical, as bugs make it impractical. So, on a day to day basis, we open our other 2 sliders, and leave the great room door only for special occasions when the temps are just right.

lnc said:
happios said:
From my experience I much prefer dealing with the sales at TNHC than HC.  Malia is such a sweet lady and very pleasant to talk to.  Hc sales team is not as pleasant to work with and Communication is as bad as it gets.

+1 for Malia from TNHC, she is just so incredible and extremely pleasant to work with. 

I don't have any experience with TBs but among all the different new home sales staff I've encounter in the recent years, I also had the best experience with TNHC's sales people.

+2 for Malia, and +1 for TNHC salespeople. All great to work with!

I agree, the sales people at TNHC have been so nice everytime we stop by one of the models to look. I've shared before that our dealings with the Marbella sales people have been subpar, especailly their response time to emails and phone calls.

We budgeted 10% for upgrades, including structural, electrical and design.  We are currently waiting on pricing for flooring and counters so if these end up being insane, then we will do it post closing and the 10% will go down.  We added the 90 degree sliders, and an additional two sliders on the back (a 12' and 16'). We have sliders in our current house and love it, have it open all the time. Yes you get bugs but it's not too bad, probably every ten times we have it open, we get 2 flies so it just depends if that's too annoying or not for someone.

I have an email into my design person on whether I have to get the 60" fridge since we are doing the furniture package. Thanks Maturaro for the pricing info, I didn't realize the retail price was so high, I thought it would be more like $10K.

Grayston said:
We budgeted 10% for upgrades, including structural, electrical and design.
So what exactly are you paying $250k+ for that isn't already included in a "luxury" home?

I understand that design things (like flooring, cabinetry, countertops, bath surfaces) are more of a preference thing but shouldn't a $2.5m home include upgraded insulation, every electrical feature you would need and anything that would be considered "add-ons" for lesser priced homes?

I apologize if this sounds snarkish, but I just think that if you are paying multiple millions for a "luxury" home, stuff should be all-in.

I agree, Toll Brothers provides nothing in the way of upgrades. I've built two other homes before and there was so much included and have never spent this much on upgrades. TB nickel and dimes you on each item. So unlike Lennar and their "everything's included" program or some other builders, TB charges an arm and a leg for structural, electrical, etc. What costs the most for us thus far are the sliders and linear fireplaces so not everyone will choose these items. We're just starting the design stage so not sure how much those items will cost so that's why the 10% is a rough number, it may go down depending on what we select in design.

irvinehomeowner said:
Grayston said:
We budgeted 10% for upgrades, including structural, electrical and design.
So what exactly are you paying $250k+ for that isn't already included in a "luxury" home?

I understand that design things (like flooring, cabinetry, countertops, bath surfaces) are more of a preference thing but shouldn't a $2.5m home include upgraded insulation, every electrical feature you would need and anything that would be considered "add-ons" for lesser priced homes?

I apologize if this sounds snarkish, but I just think that if you are paying multiple millions for a "luxury" home, stuff should be all-in.

That's how they make their money by selling upgrades. (I want to say almost every builder)

marutaro said:
Laniakea said:
happios said:
The upgraded cabinet package basically has a more contemporary look and builds the cabinet all the way to the ceiling including the moulding. And yes it requires a 60" fridge and that's about $18000.

To me must have  structural options are pocket doors and master deck.  Fresh package for the kitchen cabinet looks nice but it's pretty costly.

eatthis said:
the dancer said:
How do you feel about the furniture package?  Design rep said we will regret it if we do not get it.  Don't know if she's genuine or trying to sell us. Do u think it will be hard to replicate the furniture package cabinets after COE??

I thought the standard cabinets looked fine. If I recall correctly, the furniture package also requires you to upgrade to the 60" (2 x 30") refrigerator, which is outlandishly expensive. We passed.

They charge $18k for 60" sub-zero fridge?? That so ridiculous. Most of high end fridge dealers charge $13k for the exact model plus $300-$500 for delivery and installation. Why 5K more? That sounds so O_C..

The 60" fridge is $16800 (for two 30" units), including either stainless or cabinet front panels. We were quoted $15900 for stainless front, and $18k for cabinet front at Pacific Sales, incl delivery and hook up. So if you go with cabinet front, you're actually getting a deal going through TB. If stainless, for $900 I'd rather not deal with potential cabinet fitment problems. I thought the fridges were a steal... cuz I was quoted $30k for the same 60" set up at Amelia...

I heard from another buyer that you can now get the furniture pkg with a 48" fridge instead of the 60". Keep in mind you will also need to upgrade to the 'Pro Appliance Pkg' for $2800 if you opt for the furniture pkg, which replaces the standard rangetop with a full-size range, and adds an extra wall oven.

We're at 4.4% with structurals, electrical, cabinets, fridges, appliances, and plumbing all in. Doing countertops and flooring after COE.

Regarding voiding warranties, it's only a 1yr warranty anyway, almost impossible not to void anything unless you buy everything through the builder.

Good deals: flat screen prewire, extra outlet, kitchen sink, fridge. Do structural options count?

When you do countertop after COE, should you replace a sink and a faucet as well? How about wall painting? Are you doing it through the builder?

snowball said:
When you do countertop after COE, should you replace a sink and a faucet as well? How about wall painting? Are you doing it through the builder?

Absolutely should change it.

Wall painting is usually about 30-50% higher if you do it through the builder.  I would do it post-construction.

marutaro said:
Laniakea said:
happios said:

eatthis said:
the dancer said:

It took a number of escalations but I finally got the furniture package without the 60in fridge.  Helped the person at the design center craft that email to her management.  They're probably not advertising this...

Btw, the list of options in myTB home site is incomplete and often innacurate.  For instance, a fellow HC home buyer got the outside heater option which is not on the list.  Or, I can't get a final confirmation as to what is needed with the furniture package - pro-package, alternate hood, etc...  They're obviously still working through the kinks for the early phases...

That's awesome liege168. I wanna get the 48" fridge w furniture package.  Can you help me too?  I've asked various times w my design rep what's including with the furniture package compare to standard and she never really answered.  She wouldn't send me diagrams, dimensions, or details (spice racks, how many pull-outs including, lights under upper cabinets, etc).  Do you have any information?  Sounds like your design rep may be more informed than mine.

snowball said:

I think it may be hard to reuse the standard sinks since they're drop-ins. Maybe if your counter guy is super careful, you'd be able to reuse them. But imo undermount sinks look sleeker, and are easier to clean. Faucets can be reused, unless you want to swap them out for aesthetic purposes.

Wall painting is $7600 for one color throughout. Not bad.

As for structural options, we thought the Prep Kitchen was a steal. Again, this is relative to what other builders charge.

Builders make most of their profit on upgrades, I'm sure this is the case at HC too since TIC needs their cut.

It is frustrating at times trying to get answers from the design studio. They seem just as confused... perks of being an early phase lab rat.

marutaro said:

That's actually decent if you only want one color.

If you want multiple colors throughout the house with accent walls, etc., you should be able to find a painter post-construction that can do it at the same price (or lower), and you'll have full control of the paint colors.

If you have kids, I wouldn't get paint through the builder.  I've yet to see a builder that offers any sheen but flat.  Much better to get Satin sheet which is a relatively low gloss but dirt and marks come off quite easily with mild soap/water and don't require touch up paint. 

I learned this the hard way in my last home but in my current home we put Satin sheen everywhere (except bathrooms of course) and it's been very easy to keep / wipe clean as needed.

aquabliss said:
If you have kids, I wouldn't get paint through the builder.  I've yet to see a builder that offers any sheen but flat.  Much better to get Satin sheet which is a relatively low gloss but dirt and marks come off quite easily with mild soap/water and don't require touch up paint. 

I learned this the hard way in my last home but in my current home we put Satin sheen everywhere (except bathrooms of course) and it's been very easy to keep / wipe clean as needed.

+1!  Enamel paint is the way to go with kids...easier to clean, and holds up way better than flat.

Something else to consider...the standard paint the builders use usually sets really dry, so if you paint post-construction, most painters will tell you they'll need to do 2 coats (first coat is usually watered down so that the texture can absorb it).  It will affect pricing somewhat, but still won't be higher than the builder's price.

marutaro said:
snowball said:

I think it may be hard to reuse the standard sinks since they're drop-ins. Maybe if your counter guy is super careful, you'd be able to reuse them. But imo undermount sinks look sleeker, and are easier to clean. Faucets can be reused, unless you want to swap them out for aesthetic purposes.

As for structural options, we thought the Prep Kitchen was a steal. Again, this is relative to what other builders charge.

Builders make most of their profit on upgrades, I'm sure this is the case at HC too since TIC needs their cut.

It is frustrating at times trying to get answers from the design studio. They seem just as confused... perks of being an early phase lab rat.

I think 7600 is a good price for paint. Toll is charging 9100 for the Manhattan paint.

Back