Hidden Canyon in Irvine

I visited the Redondo model this morning.  My husband closed the pocket doors so we could get a feel for the space when it's closed.  The great room and kitchen area didn't feel cramped to us.

It took my husband about 60 seconds to open each side, and another 60 seconds to close each side.  The doors were heavy.  If you have the money you might opt for the motorized pocket door slider.  We did not select this option though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    647.5 KB · Views: 549
ps9 said:
Rotate them before posting on TI.  If you're using iOS, you can edit the pics in the PHOTOS app.  Click the edit function in the top right corner of the pic you just opened, then click on the crop symbol on the bottom, the 90 degree rotate button should appear on the lower left.  Rotate correctly.

If you have android, similar procedure, open the photos app, click on photo, hit the edit (pencil) button,  there should be a dedicated rotate button and you're done.

Make sure you save your edits and then attach to your TI posts (remember to pick the edited photo if you didn't erase the old one)

If you're on windows, any photo editing can rotate, even the barebones image viewer. 

Once you're comfortable with this we can move on to lesson 2, embedding photos.

I'm ready for Lesson 2 - embedding photos.  ;)

Hi, Im new to this post.  Trying to finalize our structural  and would love your advice on the Capri model.  Is it better  to get the sliding glass doors facing the two sides of the courtyard or just get the pocket doors  at the great room....or neither?? 

the dancer said:
Hi, Im new to this post.  Trying to finalize our structural  and would love your advice on the Capri model.  Is it better  to get the sliding glass doors facing the two sides of the courtyard or just get the pocket doors  at the great room....or neither??

I know these sliding pocket doors are a pretty penny, but if you are not restricted financially then I would opt for them in the great room and off the side courtyard.

If you have to pick one area over the other I would say upgrade the great room sliders if you have a view lot, or if you have a non-view lot upgrade the courtyard sliders.

I really like the side courtyard feature in the Capri model.  If you entertain often you might also want to consider enhancing the courtyard pocket doors.

I think you will see a return on your investment either way.

Roughly 6.5% for all upgrades including structural, electrical and interior.  I'm doing flooring afterwards.
After landscaping and all upgrades the cost of the house is 2.4M  or about $500/sq ft.
Not all Hc homes are 3M+  Capri prices are quite reasonable.

ps9 said:
To all the HC buyers: 

How much are you budgeting for upgrades?  Standard 5%? 

Anything that comes standard that you actually like and will keep? 

Also any builder upgrades that are actually a decent deal?

ps9 said:
How much are you budgeting for upgrades?  Standard 5%? 
5% is not standard, that was my number. I've been told that it was too low although after polling several members, it seems like 8% was the average.

I'm waiting for someone to say they are doing 30% in the design center and how that's expected for $3m luxury homes.

Caitlin said:
the dancer said:

I know these sliding pocket doors are a pretty penny, but if you are not restricted financially then I would opt for them in the great room and off the side courtyard.

If you have to pick one area over the other I would say upgrade the great room sliders if you have a view lot, or if you have a non-view lot upgrade the courtyard sliders.

I really like the side courtyard feature in the Capri model.  If you entertain often you might also want to consider enhancing the courtyard pocket doors.

I think you will see a return on your investment either way.

Just curious, how much does it cost for the options you mentioned? (Sliding glass doors, pocket doors)

I have the Manhattan model and so far, I have picked the structural, the electric... and I'm currently deciding on the cabinet, stairs, doors, etc....

I'm toying with the option to do my flooring and countertop after close but the design center tells me this may void some of the warranties.  Anyone knows how true that is?

Caitlin said:
I visited the Redondo model this morning.  My husband closed the pocket doors so we could get a feel for the space when it's closed.  The great room and kitchen area didn't feel cramped to us.

It took my husband about 60 seconds to open each side, and another 60 seconds to close each side.  The doors were heavy.  If you have the money you might opt for the motorized pocket door slider.  We did not select this option though.

Caitlin,

I also opted for the 90 degree expansive sliding doors.  Pat tells me that they're having significant issues with the motorized feature option and TB is considering removing it from the option list.  FYI...

liege168 said:
I have the Manhattan model and so far, I have picked the structural, the electric... and I'm currently deciding on the cabinet, stairs, doors, etc....

I'm toying with the option to do my flooring and countertop after close but the design center tells me this may void some of the warranties.  Anyone knows how true that is?

I would do flooring after closing as the builder usually charges insane price on that. I've done wood flooring after closing before and no problem with that.

When we got our first home, think we only spent about 2-3% on upgrades.  2nd home was resale and I think we spent even less percentage wise.  One of those TB 4 layer pocket doors probably cost more than all the monies I spent in the past on house upgrades. 

So for the buyers who bought a new home (non-HC) with the pocket door option, worth it?  Bug issues?  Would you opt for it again or go with something with a screen door?

Caitlin said:
I would love to get some feedback/thoughts on this two toned flooring.  Do you like? Would you install in your home?

Way too busy for my taste. I think the way they laid it out at an angle makes it worse.

The 5 panel pocket doors are $22k at the great room and the stack doors at the courtyard are $9k each. It's a hefty penny so still debating if it's worth my return on investment.  We don't have a view but we do have a good size lot.  How do you feel about the furniture package?  Design rep said we will regret it if we do not get it.  Don't know if she's genuine or trying to sell us. Do u think it will be hard to replicate the furniture package cabinets after COE??  Anybody see any reasonable or possible great deals on upgrades through TB they like to share. 

the dancer said:
How do you feel about the furniture package?  Design rep said we will regret it if we do not get it.  Don't know if she's genuine or trying to sell us. Do u think it will be hard to replicate the furniture package cabinets after COE??

I thought the standard cabinets looked fine. If I recall correctly, the furniture package also requires you to upgrade to the 60" (2 x 30") refrigerator, which is outlandishly expensive. We passed.

The upgraded cabinet package basically has a more contemporary look and builds the cabinet all the way to the ceiling including the moulding. And yes it requires a 60" fridge and that's about $18000.

To me must have  structural options are pocket doors and master deck.  Fresh package for the kitchen cabinet looks nice but it's pretty costly.

eatthis said:
the dancer said:
How do you feel about the furniture package?  Design rep said we will regret it if we do not get it.  Don't know if she's genuine or trying to sell us. Do u think it will be hard to replicate the furniture package cabinets after COE??

I thought the standard cabinets looked fine. If I recall correctly, the furniture package also requires you to upgrade to the 60" (2 x 30") refrigerator, which is outlandishly expensive. We passed.

happios said:
The upgraded cabinet package basically has a more contemporary look and builds the cabinet all the way to the ceiling including the moulding. And yes it requires a 60" fridge and that's about $18000.

To me must have  structural options are pocket doors and master deck.  Fresh package for the kitchen cabinet looks nice but it's pretty costly.

eatthis said:
the dancer said:

They charge $18k for 60" sub-zero fridge?? That so ridiculous. Most of high end fridge dealers charge $13k for the exact model plus $300-$500 for delivery and installation. Why 5K more? That sounds so O_C..

Laniakea said:
They charge $18k for 60" sub-zero fridge?? That so ridiculous. Most of high end fridge dealers charge $13k for the exact model plus $300-$500 for delivery and installation. Why 5K more? That sounds so O_C..

The 48" Sub Zero runs between $10-13K.  The 60" is basically 2x 30"...I don't have the latest price list on me, but $18K doesn't sound that bad.

Can you install a built in fridge after COE?  Doesn't the builder put in deterrent cabinets so it will be really expensive to mod?

Laniakea said:
happios said:

eatthis said:
the dancer said:

Upgraded cabinets and fridge for 18k sounds reasonable, for a 2-3 million home.

Back