Hidden Canyon in Irvine

We are debating on hardwood flooring vs tiles that look like wood. We have always had hardwood flooring. Does anybody have experience with the tiles that look like wood?

funny story... several years ago I was playing bball with some friends in Torrance.  They had me guard this elderly guy in his 50s.  The gentleman took the first shot during the game, and instinctively I went up to block his shot.  I was immediately told by a friend not to do that again.  It turned out he's the founder/ceo of kingston and rented the court for his friends and employees to play on weekends.  Despite his age, it sure feels good blocking the shot of a billionaire  ;D

irvinehomeowner said:
So I want to know if any of these HC ballers are actual ballers like Farmmie... it feeds my inner soul to block the shot of a $3m home buyer. :)

irvine99 said:
We are debating on hardwood flooring vs tiles that look like wood. We have always had hardwood flooring. Does anybody have experience with the tiles that look like wood?

Tiles are much more practical in terms of durability and being water proof, but still have to deal with grout lines keep getting stained especially for lighter colors, also the layouts make the repeated artificial patters (full-half-full-half).

Grayston, ignore some of the clowns on here... there are many folks who are actually looking to share information and experience.  However, these folks are crowded out by the "internet experts" with hundreds or thousands of posts spewing bile about topics they are ignorant about.  None of these "experts" have backgrounds in RE development, finance, residential or commercial construction or space planning.

As rkp noted - this level of vitriol is excessive. However it is par for the course on this site.  You probably can ascertain that their extreme level of hatred stems from the fact they cannot afford any of these homes.

I prefer tiles over wood for heavy traffic areas in the house.  Wood is not as cold and a bit softer so would go well in bedrooms.  You can apply grout sealant to help keep the grout clean.  (keep in mind, it still requires regular maintenance)

Laniakea said:
irvine99 said:

Tiles are much more practical in terms of durability and being water proof, but still have to deal with grout lines keep getting stained especially for lighter colors, also the layouts make the repeated artificial patters (full-half-full-half).

happios said:
funny story... several years ago I was playing bball with some friends in Torrance.  They had me guard this elderly guy in his 50s.  The gentleman took the first shot during the game, and instinctively I went up to block his shot.  I was immediately told by a friend not to do that again.  It turned out he's the founder/ceo of kingston and rented the court for his friends and employees to play on weekends.  Despite his age, it sure feels good blocking the shot of a billionaire  ;D

irvinehomeowner said:
So I want to know if any of these HC ballers are actual ballers like Farmmie... it feeds my inner soul to block the shot of a $3m home buyer. :)
Word. Get that billion dollar shot out of here!!!

#OnePercenterSwat

Laniakea said:
irvine99 said:

I prefer hardwood.  I have had tile and hardwood and, with a little effort, the hardwood really lasts.  It was a real selling point in my last house.  We went higher grade and I think it paid off.  You can worry less about tile because of the durability, but I think it's harder on the feet.

orange_curtain:

My husband and I just bought a home in HC and pricing was under $2.5M.  We bought here because we looked at real estate in NB for over a year, and we could not find anything price wise close to what we just bought in HC? new construction, 4,800+ square feet, 5 bedrooms, a larger lot, in a gated community. 

To get a 7 -10 year old home with a small non-view lot, and 4,800+  sqft. in NB or any other coastal community in orange county you are looking at $3.8 - $5M easily.

I have attended many Toll Brother events at HC and 98% of the buyers/potential buyers are locals from Laguna Altura, Quail Hill and other neighboring communities. They are not foreign cash buyers.

Also, my husband and I talk about Restoration Hardware chandeliers often. 

This ?grandma? is signing out.

Hmm.. this thread is going up the hill that leads nowhere.  But i just wanna add that I am for one not affiliated with HC at all. I am just the one very very interested in buying one in HC, but since I am a contingent buyer, I may not be able to get one at all.
[/quote]

Going nowhere perhaps, but Laniakea I have a serious question for you.  I have tried multiple times to try to get an appointment to see Capri and Marbella by going through the sales offices.  Half the time, I got what sounded like an answering machine from the 1980s on the other end.  Whenever I finally reach someone, I am always politely told that they are not yet showing to contingent buyers.  As a contingent buyer, how is it that you have had such great access to all the inside info and have had an opportunity to meet all the sales people?  Serious question.  I have two neighbors who are on the waitlist (pre-quals submitted) who have had the same experience as me.  Any inside info would be appreciated.

Caitlin said:
orange_curtain:

My husband and I just bought a home in HC and pricing was under $2.5M.  We bought here because we looked at real estate in NB for over a year, and we could not find anything price wise close to what we just bought in HC? new construction, 4,800+ square feet, 5 bedrooms, a larger lot, in a gated community. 

To get a 7 -10 year old home with a small non-view lot, and 4,800+  sqft. in NB or any other coastal community in orange county you are looking at $3.8 - $5M easily.

I have attended many Toll Brother events at HC and 98% of the buyers/potential buyers are locals from Laguna Altura, Quail Hill and other neighboring communities. They are not foreign cash buyers.

Love the photo Caitlin. Nice touch. Now I am totally convinced...lol..btw..nice teeth. Where did you find this photo match.com or tinder?

happios said:
I prefer tiles over wood for heavy traffic areas in the house.  Wood is not as cold and a bit softer so would go well in bedrooms.  You can apply grout sealant to help keep the grout clean.  (keep in mind, it still requires regular maintenance)

Laniakea said:
irvine99 said:

Appreciate the input as I'm going through the same considerations.  The visual continuity of the tile pattern from the inside of the house extended into the outside patio is appealing to me... especially with the expansive 90 degree glass sliding door.

orange_curtain said:
Caitlin said:
orange_curtain:

Love the photo Caitlin. Nice touch. Now I am totally convinced...lol..btw..nice teeth. Where did you find this photo match.com or tinder?

Ha

Caitlin said:
orange_curtain:

I wanna be your neighbor!

J Hsu said:
Hmm.. this thread is going up the hill that leads nowhere.  But i just wanna add that I am for one not affiliated with HC at all. I am just the one very very interested in buying one in HC, but since I am a contingent buyer, I may not be able to get one at all.

Going nowhere perhaps, but Laniakea I have a serious question for you.  I have tried multiple times to try to get an appointment to see Capri and Marbella by going through the sales offices.  Half the time, I got what sounded like an answering machine from the 1980s on the other end.  Whenever I finally reach someone, I am always politely told that they are not yet showing to contingent buyers.  As a contingent buyer, how is it that you have had such great access to all the inside info and have had an opportunity to meet all the sales people?  Serious question.  I have two neighbors who are on the waitlist (pre-quals submitted) who have had the same experience as me.  Any inside info would be appreciated.
[/quote]

Yes. Laniakea know all the inside information..the age of all the sales people at both Marbella and Capri...and yet now she claims she is a contingent buyer who does't have a chance of getting a home. Yes....we still believe you.

J Hsu said:
Caitlin said:
orange_curtain:

I wanna be your neighbor!
How do you know that's her pic?

Open question to TB. Do I get any commission for driving up the views on this site? I am sure one of you with all the inside questions can quickly chime in and let me know.

Does anyone know if there will be a procedure for visits and crowd control on Saturday and Sunday?  I mean thousands of people may show up.  Perhaps there will be shuttle service from Irvine Amp?  They may want to use a number system like the deli at Gelsons.  I suggest serving refreshments.  Helps to keep the peace. 

orange_curtain said:
Open question to TB. Do I get any commission for driving up the views on this site? I am sure one of you with all the inside questions can quickly chime in and let me know.

Thanks - I had braces twice.  :D

Back