Hidden Canyon in Irvine

As a lot of people have commented, I think you end up giving away square footage in the secondary bedrooms for the tb entryway features, especially with some of the more unique layouts.  Some of the homes suffer more from this than others. Overall, I don't find this a big issue though. A bigger issue for me is that the elevations on some of the homes (specifically those not modeled) fall short of my expectations for this price point.

I thought the 2x stairs entryways would be like the ones Toll did in Yorba Linda years ago but the ones at HC are far more grand than Toll's YL stuff.  The Marbella foyers are like the rotundas of public buildings rather than the foyer of a private home.  The stairs at the Cassis model could accommodate five people walking abreast.  If you like to dress your kids up as palace guards and stage your own "changing of the guard" ceremony or have a Sound of Music reenactment, HC is perfect for you.

As IHS has talked about for years, a foyer is very important to draw you into the rest of the house.  I think that the HC foyers create such a huge impression that it makes the rest of the house (kitchen, great room) seem like a let down.  If they pair the HC entry with the Trevi great room, now that would be an impressive package.

This is one of the reasons I think the Capri floor plans are appealing-- the distinctive tb features (i.e. the open transition areas) are more centrally located in the homes.  But I suppose the grand entries in Marbella may be more desirable for people who entertain a lot.

Happiness said:
I thought the 2x stairs entryways would be like the ones Toll did in Yorba Linda years ago but the ones at HC are far more grand than Toll's YL stuff.  The Marbella foyers are like the rotundas of public buildings rather than the foyer of a private home.  The stairs at the Cassis model could accommodate five people walking abreast.  If you like to dress your kids up as palace guards and stage your own "changing of the guard" ceremony or have a Sound of Music reenactment, HC is perfect for you.

As IHS has talked about for years, a foyer is very important to draw you into the rest of the house.  I think that the HC foyers create such a huge impression that it makes the rest of the house (kitchen, great room) seem like a let down.  If they pair the HC entry with the Trevi great room, now that would be an impressive package.

The stairs feature is nice for pictures, but it's a waste of sq ft.

What do you guys think about the optional glass door panel the the great room... You think it is worth it to get it .. What the fang shui??

ocdad said:
What do you guys think about the optional glass door panel the the great room... You think it is worth it to get it .. What the fang shui??

Imo, the glass door makes the great room. Definitely get the manual door, not the one with the motor. In the Cassis model, they placed a dining table between the front and back doors, I think that's supposed to block the feng shui?

irvinehomeowner said:
1. I don't think I spoke to the value of LA, just my opinion of the area (which I still don't like). But I will admit that I did not expect that type of appreciation (as others did not).

2. Multiple members will support that you threatened another member (again who you thought was a female and my wife).  I don't think you have ever called me out because you know better. And if you did that says more about your shortcomings than my own.

3. What lie did you out me on? Everyone knows that I'm intentionally vague to protect my anonymity. The fact that you are trying to disclose my identity to others without my consent just demonstrates your lack of respect for this forum.

And if I recall correctly, once you realized how angry your posts were getting, you quit TI.

#facts

1. I'm not talking about others here - I'm talking about you.

2. Don't talk trash to someone who can and will do something about it.  Or just keep hiding behind your computer talking trash to people.

3. We both know EXACTLY what i'm talking about. Yes, I have zero respect for a clown like you who takes pride in driving off other users. 

Instead of posting passive aggressive snarky things about people who choose to live in certain neighborhoods, you could actually try to deal with your shortcomings in your career  and life and move on. 

But that's not as fun for you as it is to complain about anything and everything.

zubs said:
I still don't understand why you use Tyler Durden when you obviously like money & possessions.  Shouldn't you use a name like Jordan Belfort?  I don't know why it upsets me when I read Tyler Durden talking about making money and the awesome cars he drives.  Probably due to fight club..but oh well, I'll get over it.

I liked No Quarter better.

Once you threaten physical violence on a message board, you pretty much lost the message board game.  Perhaps that is the reason for your self imposed absence.  You realized getting so upset at images on your computer screen was just silly.

But I'm glad you're back.

Instead of worrying what others have and you don't - get better at life.

Tyler Durden said:
irvinehomeowner said:
1. I don't think I spoke to the value of LA, just my opinion of the area (which I still don't like). But I will admit that I did not expect that type of appreciation (as others did not).

2. Multiple members will support that you threatened another member (again who you thought was a female and my wife).  I don't think you have ever called me out because you know better. And if you did that says more about your shortcomings than my own.

3. What lie did you out me on? Everyone knows that I'm intentionally vague to protect my anonymity. The fact that you are trying to disclose my identity to others without my consent just demonstrates your lack of respect for this forum.

And if I recall correctly, once you realized how angry your posts were getting, you quit TI.

#facts

1. I'm not talking about others here - I'm talking about you.

2. Don't talk trash to someone who can and will do something about it.  Or just keep hiding behind your computer talking trash to people.

3. We both know EXACTLY what i'm talking about. Yes, I have zero respect for a clown like you who takes pride in driving off other users. 

Instead of posting passive aggressive snarky things about people who choose to live in certain neighborhoods, you could actually try to deal with your shortcomings in your career  and life and move on. 

But that's not as fun for you as it is to complain about anything and everything.
I'm quoting every derisive post you make just in case you ask the admin to delete your account again.

This way we can really see what you're posting rather than your claims of what has been said.

I'm okay that Laguna Altura is selling for way more than I think it's worth. And even if I knew then what I know now, I still would not buy there, because even with that appreciation, it's not for me (for the same reasons why people don't like the Hidden Canyon location).

Are you okay that you get all worked up over words on a forum? That you feel snarked on because someone doesn't like your neighborhood? That you threaten and insult women? That you put people down based on economic status and/or race?

For those new to this forum, a member here who can get pretty snarky has been jokingly referred to as a she rather than a he. This same member, has also been jokingly referred to as my wife.

Tyler believed both, that this member was both a female and also my wife, and on more than a few occasions, berated that member and even physically threatened to fight "her" in a parking lot. I think the big "lie" he is upset about is that this member is neither female or my wife... but that still doesn't change the fact that he threatened "her" when he thought that member was either.

Bottom line, by your own admission you've threatened members on this board, and that loses more credibility than any mistimed prediction of real estate values or whatever else you claim that I've done.

#morefacts

Tyler Durden said:
zubs said:
I still don't understand why you use Tyler Durden when you obviously like money & possessions.  Shouldn't you use a name like Jordan Belfort?  I don't know why it upsets me when I read Tyler Durden talking about making money and the awesome cars he drives.  Probably due to fight club..but oh well, I'll get over it.

I liked No Quarter better.

Once you threaten physical violence on a message board, you pretty much lost the message board game.  Perhaps that is the reason for your self imposed absence.  You realized getting so upset at images on your computer screen was just silly.

But I'm glad you're back.

Instead of worrying what others have and you don't - get better at life.

I was worried that you had left TI again.  That would have made my life worse.  glad ur still posting.

Tyler Durden said:
As to your second point - it was you that I challenged to meet me.  You conveniently forgot to mention your fear to make that happen.

If I saw 2 grown-ass middle aged men... husbands, fathers, professionals...Pillars Of Their Community!... dressed all business-casual in their Kohl's Dockers and LaCoste, meeting up for a rumble in the Woodbury Town Center parking lot on their lunch hour, I would think they are both crazy. And then I'd record it, upload it to Youtube, and hit play again and again. And again.

SoCal said:
Tyler Durden said:
As to your second point - it was you that I challenged to meet me.  You conveniently forgot to mention your fear to make that happen.

If I saw 2 grown-ass middle aged men... husbands, fathers, professionals...Pillars Of Their Community!... dressed all business-casual in their Kohl's Dockers and LaCoste, meeting up for a rumble in the Woodbury Town Center parking lot on their lunch hour, I would think they are both crazy. And then I'd record it, upload it to Youtube, and hit play again and again. And again.

So did you see this happen or is this a hypothetical?

Soylent Green Is People said:
Interesting to hear some of the lots were pre-sold to employees of the builder. Must be some pretty great pay over there to afford homes within the community. 

Once the properties close, it's possible to run a title search to see who closed on the home, then match it to LinkedIn or other resources. Given past experience, very few employees close on the properties that were pre-reserved, but in today's market - who knows?

My .02c

A lot can also be presold to a relative of an employee.

I went to visit HC this weekend.  I was disappointed. It was hyped up in this thread. It was hot and there was no "coastal canyon" breeze. Laguna Beach or Newport Beach it is not.

IMHO, Orchard Hills feels more like a complete community. As others said, you have a school in the middle of OH & there is shopping, restaurants, etc. so close you could walk to it if you so wanted.

If you value privacy above all else, HC is better. But if you want to be able go for a jog in evenings or walk the dog, run last minute errands easily, etc, OH is better.

PS.  Did anyone else notice the sign at the entrance says "Hidden Canyon IRVINE"?  Did they need to remind everyone HC is in Irvine? None of the other villages (Stonegate, CV, OH, etc) need to advertise they are part of Irvine.  It looked a little tacky.

I remember taking buyers into laguna altura a year after it opened and many of them said they would rather live in portola or wb for the reasons you just mentioned. HC is certainly not a great location for everyone. But I do think the laws of real estate will cause this village to appreciate at a faster rate than many of the others north of the 405-- just because you have limited supply and a better geographic location.  It think its price niche is somewhere above laguna altura and below turtle ridge.   

gaysian said:
PS.  Did anyone else notice the sign at the entrance says "Hidden Canyon IRVINE"?  Did they need to remind everyone HC is in Irvine? None of the other villages (Stonegate, CV, OH, etc) need to advertise they are part of Irvine.  It looked a little tacky.

Because the main entrance is off Lake Forest Drive people think its in Lake Forest.

Maybe all those Tustin communities off Irvine Blvd. should put a big "Tustin" under there name so people don't get confused.

Back