Have you ever considered moving to another state?

OS said:
paperboyNC said:
You might be surprised but you can easily spend $500K on a house there that then has $10k/yr in property taxes and you'll drive more and want to spend more on vacations, etc. since you'll miss good weather and the ocean.

One thing I noticed on House Hunters is that shoppers in Texas, Minnesota, etc. often had a $600K budget whiles shoppers in LA, OC, San Diego often had $400K budgets.

Will you be happier in a $600K 6,000 sq ft house where you stay home all the time because the weather sucks or will you be happier in a 1,500 sq ft $400K home and spend most of your time at the park/beach/outdoor mall/etc?

I often think about moving since I'm from the East Coast but the reality is that I wouldn't feel as rich as it would seem on paper.

+++++++++++++

You want inexpensive living in a big box home? Heat? Tons of driving? The inland empire beckons.

I think Jobs was an important piece. 

paperboyNC said:
I have friends that moved from OC to the DFW area and they always say they miss OC.

I did the same, and after 3 years, sold my place in Dallas and moved back to OC. lol Lifestyle here is worth the higher cost of living IMO.

incognito said:
paperboyNC said:
I have friends that moved from OC to the DFW area and they always say they miss OC.

I did the same, and after 3 years, sold my place in Dallas and moved back to OC. lol Lifestyle here is worth the higher cost of living IMO.

Oh so since you've lived there ... please give us a list of pros and cons so we can all feel better about living in a higher priced HOA runned town.

ZeroLot said:
incognito said:

Oh so since you've lived there ... please give us a list of pros and cons so we can all feel better about living in a higher priced HOA runned town.

That's a personal call as to what's considered pros and cons. To each his own.

The city is picturesque with topography and intertwined by rivers and lakes. One of America's greenest cities. It is a mature city but yet frontier like at many of the places. It is weird, creative, lay back, and friendly. It is a city where nature meshes with man made. Both co exist with harmony and balance. The vibe is definitely different there.

here is a Fodors travel linkhttp://www.fodors.com/news/story_5179.html

RCV said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
I would love to move to Austin Texas or Charlottesville Virginia.

Please share - What do you like in those cities?

incognito said:
ZeroLot said:
incognito said:

Pros and cons would be your pros and cons.  Unless your suggesting we all have to move there for 3 years to make our own decisions.

I bet there are many threads in certain bay area forums talking about moving to so cal so they can buy a mansion with the money. Just like what we are talking about moving to Texas in TI. lol

ukuoy said:
I bet there are many threads in certain bay area forums talking about moving to so cal so they can buy a mansion with the money. Just like what we are talking about moving to Texas in TI. lol
The difference is SoCal > than the Bay Area. :)

I'd move to Las Vegas (but would still keep a home in Irvine).  The appeal of not paying state income tax is nice and everything else is a little cheaper over there (gas, food, etc) except for housing which is about 30-35% of Irvine prices. 

irvinehomeshopper said:
I would love to move to Austin Texas or Charlottesville Virginia.

15 years ago. Now they're trendy hipster hells

Phoenix burbs, Austin, Dallas burbs, all have the same problems. Ex-Californians that fled here because of overbearing liberal governments and then do nothing but clamor for the same government intervention and programs

ZeroLot said:
incognito said:

Pros and cons would be your pros and cons.  Unless your suggesting we all have to move there for 3 years to make our own decisions.

Average property tax rate in TX is ~1.8%
- pretty much a wash with mello roos in Irvine
Newer communities still have HOA assessments
- the older ones that don't, you have neighbors that don't keep up on their front landscaping and is an eyesore
- you don't have much neighborhood amenities, if any
Diversity is noticeably lacking
- personally I feel safer in numbers...lol
Food selection is limited
- there's only so much bbq and Tex-Mex food an asian guy can handle
Having 4 seasons is nice in theory
- mosquito season, humidity with 100+ temp, black ice on roads...just not fun
- 1.5 seasons of southern CA is perfectly fine by my book
Everything is just freaking far apart
- normal to drive 45-60mins just to go somewhere, e.g. 30 mins to get to the nearest asian supermarket, and it's not even Ranch 99
So much land that there's waste everywhere and no one cares
- plenty of abandoned big box retail buildings or shopping centers because business rather build new and custom to their want/need
Not much selection in weekend outdoor activities unless you like fishing, hunting, and mudding
- there's not many places you can live where you can go snowboarding in the morning, surfing in the afternoon, and clubbing at night...all in the same day
Everyone drives a truck
- the big annoying kind too
Service roads along along every freakin' freeways/highways
- this you have to experience for yourself to understand the annoyance of, makes no sense to me

Pro:
No state tax is nice

Want cheaper living?  Move to the Inland Empire.  Use your weekends to vacation in Orange County. 

Save you a lot of time flying and traveling.

Moving to another state is always interesting.  I love looking at real estate in other parts of the country.  However, I love the weather here too much as well as the proximity to things that I enjoy.

I was just in Vancouver, BC and I really liked it there as well.  However, I hear the winters are full of rain and though it stays light til like 10pm during summer, the winter brings a lot of rain and it gets dark early. 

I hear great things about Portland and Seattle. 

Coleman said:
I was just in Vancouver, BC and I really liked it there as well.  However, I hear the winters are full of rain and though it stays light til like 10pm during summer, the winter brings a lot of rain and it gets dark early. 

I hear great things about Portland and Seattle.

I've worked in Seattle before and lived there 5 days week for a 1.5 year.

Winter, rain/drizzle is just all rolled into 1 season, which is pretty much ~Sept - May. And during non-DST time, it's dark out by ~4pm.

July and Aug is great, with the sun not setting until ~9:30pm.

Denver is very nice as well if you can handle snow driving during the winter months.

Back