Great Park Homeless Shelter

Agree..but that makes me wonder why the county official is asking Irvine city to review the proposal to build a shelter at this site? The document linked to the agenda shows the costs for tents etc. Wouldn't county know these realities about the proposed land and it's location in rvine before asking the city to review? I bet they know that Irvine city is probably one of the prosperous ones in the city, then why the county is asking city to review?

Irvinehomeseeker said:
Prototype said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
It seems this risk of homeless shelter on the proposed site will be around until something else gets built there. If someone is considering a home purchase around that area then they need to be concerned.

What makes you think that? The meeting clearly stated that this was proposed by ONE supervisor and hasn't gotten any other traction from anyone else....

Based on what I'm currently seeing, it doesn't seem to be a major concern as of right now.

Let's say in next few months or a year the proposal get stalled, what if it get picked up again in a year or 2?

The proposed land belongs to the county. If it stays vacant, the county can thrust it down the city to build the shelter. Even the city has indicated somewhere in the docs that this 100 acre land could be used for temporary housing.

Let's assume IP and GP builders can push this off until all homes are built( i.e. builders made their money),then who is going to exert the influence to prevent this shelter from being built?

I know this is a stressful time because you're purchasing a home at CVE but relax man. The proposal was stated/written by ONE OC Supervisor, Shawn Nelson, who doesn't even have jurisdiction over Irvine.  Todd Spitzer (and Lisa Bartlett) is in charge of Irvine.  There are many more steps to go through for this to get anywhere near approved.  As jmoney mentioned, this is likely never going to happen on that land.

(Sidenote, IP has nothing to do with CVE or homes being built by Great Park. California Pacific is building CVE, Cal Atlantic is building the senior living and GP has their host of other builders)

You know how GATE programs are put into the crappiest schools in the city to boost up their scores...
Perhaps this is a reverse GATE situation.

I like this blurb from your article.

?It?s curious the three sites that Supervisor Nelson identified for the homeless center, none of them are in his district,? Irvine Mayor Donald P. Wagner said during a brief city council discussion Tuesday of Nelson?s plan. Nelson?s 4th district in north Orange County includes Fullerton, Buena Park, La Habra, Placentia and parts of Anaheim.

This cat's just looking out for his own self interests....like everybody else.

This the part that is concerning for me..

"Since the 100 acres is county-owned land, it is exempt from the city?s zoning standards, discretionary approvals and building permits, according to the June 13 report to the city council."

Irvinehomeseeker said:

"Since the 100 acres is county-owned land, it is exempt from the city?s zoning standards, discretionary approvals and building permits, according to the June 13 report to the city council."

Yep. Another time bomb :-[

Prototype said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
Prototype said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
It seems this risk of homeless shelter on the proposed site will be around until something else gets built there. If someone is considering a home purchase around that area then they need to be concerned.

What makes you think that? The meeting clearly stated that this was proposed by ONE supervisor and hasn't gotten any other traction from anyone else....

Based on what I'm currently seeing, it doesn't seem to be a major concern as of right now.

Let's say in next few months or a year the proposal get stalled, what if it get picked up again in a year or 2?

The proposed land belongs to the county. If it stays vacant, the county can thrust it down the city to build the shelter. Even the city has indicated somewhere in the docs that this 100 acre land could be used for temporary housing.

Let's assume IP and GP builders can push this off until all homes are built( i.e. builders made their money),then who is going to exert the influence to prevent this shelter from being built?

I know this is a stressful time because you're purchasing a home at CVE but relax man. The proposal was stated/written by ONE OC Supervisor, Shawn Nelson, who doesn't even have jurisdiction over Irvine.  Todd Spitzer (and Lisa Bartlett) is in charge of Irvine.  There are many more steps to go through for this to get anywhere near approved.  As jmoney mentioned, this is likely never going to happen on that land.

(Sidenote, IP has nothing to do with CVE or homes being built by Great Park. California Pacific is building CVE, Cal Atlantic is building the senior living and GP has their host of other builders)

Thanks Prototype for the understanding. It is indeed a stressful time especially when a risk like this comes up when you are under contract. The risk may not materialize I hope but at this moment it does make it difficult.

KFpanda5 said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:

Yep. Another time bomb :-[

Yes... :-[

Some info from the City's Response Document (Linked to the Meeting Agenda) in regards to the ownership of this land.

Attachments

• City.png
    City.png
    881.7 KB · Views: 157
eyephone said:
ParasolParker said:
There are a few threads on Nextdoor, I moved recently and updates my address so I don't see the same feed any more but the majority of folks are opossed while others have very strong views that Irvine should help with the homeless problem.

There was some thread with tons of drama because of the opposing views.  Instead of fighting online people should call or express their views to the city council.

Nextdoor more drama than TalkIrvine? (Fighting online?)

Man...after reading the Nextdoor posts, you'd think Irvine has a crime problem, a major coyote problem, and a belligerent college student population that routinely trashes the community pools (especially the PP pools)!

paydawg said:
eyephone said:
ParasolParker said:
There are a few threads on Nextdoor, I moved recently and updates my address so I don't see the same feed any more but the majority of folks are opossed while others have very strong views that Irvine should help with the homeless problem.

There was some thread with tons of drama because of the opposing views.  Instead of fighting online people should call or express their views to the city council.

Nextdoor more drama than TalkIrvine? (Fighting online?)

Man...after reading the Nextdoor posts, you'd think Irvine has a crime problem, a major coyote problem, and a belligerent college student population that routinely trashes the community pools (especially the PP pools)!

;D ;D ;D

Absolute truth!!!!

Nextdoor has me feeling like everyone's homes are getting robbed left and right, no one's getting mail because all packages are stolen, HOA pools are overrun by college kids and hoodlums! The only way they can solve the "Irvine Issues" is to push CCWs for Irvine residents. Hahahah. So ridiculous!

Make Irvine Great Again!  ;D ;D

Here's the 1st of 2 issues at PP pool.

I'm furious right now!  There 20-25 young people having a party at the Pavilion pool. They have banners and balloons and lots and lots of alcohol. They have champagne bottles IN THE POOL pouring it into each other's mouths and more champagne is going into the pool than their mouths. They have taken over the BBQ area...4 hours ago! Not letting anyone else in. They have 4 lReg rafts in the pool and we were told we couldn't have one small one. Security care...saw the rafts, saw the alcohol, shook theirs hands and walked away. REALLY!!  Unacceptable!! We pay for this pool, we pay for security and we have to deal with this. Rules are...NO parties in the pool area!  Only 5 guests per resident...not to mention the bottles of champagne IN THE POOL. I can't get hold of security but left a message for the HOA...and took pics!

Here's the 2nd incident a day later? Posted by the same guy.

Ok...you may have read my post about the college graduates partying at the Pavilion Park pool. If not please read it...but today there was another incident that almost got violent. First off...I rarely go to the pool and when I do it's only at night for the jacuzzi, but my sister in law and my 10 yr old niece are visiting us this weekend so of course she wanted to go to the pool. First problem...we got there around 11:00am and left at 7:00pm and during the entire 8 hours not a single security guard entered the pool area!!  Their car was around but no guard ever entered or walked the pool for 8 hours.

At about 6:00pm four young people came in. They were very loud and disruptive but no big deal, just being 20 something year olds. Then one goes out, carries in a large black dog that looks terrified and throws it into the pool!!  Right next to my 6 yr old autistic nephew who is terrified of dogs and who  came over from Woodbury to see his cousin!! 

The kids were laughing and thought it was great to throw a dog into the pool. I got up and told them to get the dog out and leave and the kid looked at me and said, "No.".  I told him dogs aren't allowed in the pool and he's being disrespectful and he said he didn't care and it was no big deal. I told him I would call security and he said, "Go ahead." 

The kid also started in with name calling, kept saying I was an "OC little bitch" (shows he probably doesn't live here) and kept sticking up his middle finger.

I went outside to meet security and the kid got right in my face...I almost punched him.  He was right up on me calling me a "little bitch" and asking how old I was (I'll be 50).

Security tried to get them to leave but they kept mouthing off saying its no big deal and we are only upset because it's Orange County. Well hell yes I'm upset!  I paid for my house and my pool and don't appreciate people treating it (and my neighbors) like this. I could tell others were shocked and scared when the dog got thrown in.

My wife was scared to death and started taping with her phone and he ran up in her face causing her to pull her phone back. I didn't see this as I was engaged with one of the other knuckleheads, but if I had it woulda been bad!!  They kid called her a bitch and stuck his middle right up in her face...woulda touched her nose if she didn't back up and I woulda touched more than his nose!!

And to think...we are paying for security who shoulda stopped this before it started but again...I was there for 8 hours and they never came by once!!! 

Thankfully the kids left (Although I can think of a few other names for them) and three separate families thanked me for interveneing afterwards...if you're one of them and read this please post your version and opinion.

One family said they are constantly dealing with problems at the pool but security is never around and they are too scared to do anything. I'm gonna propose some major changes including a dedicated security guard at the pool...at least on weekends and maybe during summer break. I'm hoping to make some board meetings to address this and hope others can too. I don't mind paying a couple extra bucks for a dedicated security guard at the pool if it keeps us safe and comfortable.

On a last note the kids were definitely drunk and maybe high on pot. I'm a court recognized expert on identifying people high on drugs and/or alcohol as I spend the better part of 40 hours a week dealing with high or drunk people  and when the kids were right up on me it was very very obvious. Just another factor that coulda made things go very bad as they aren't thinking rationally.

Ugh!!!!

These guys sound like they're in their teens, but either way, major losers. Should have just called IPD and tell them they were threatening you. Based on their level of maturity, I hate to say it, but they may come back and thrash the pool area. I've already seen people from other cities come to Irvine to use the nice new facilities.

Back