• Yes, but I am non-religious

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • No, but I believe in a higher power

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • No, not at all

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters
Happiness said:
Why does Christian fast food (In-n-Out, Chick-fil-a, Carl's Jr., etc.) taste better than Liberal Godless fast food (McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.)?

Eye... or taste buds... of the beholder. :)

Didn't realize Carl's was Christian... what is Taco Bell? qwertaco wants to know. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Happiness said:
Why does Christian fast food (In-n-Out, Chick-fil-a, Carl's Jr., etc.) taste better than Liberal Godless fast food (McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.)?

Didn't realize Carl's was Christian... what is Taco Bell? qwertaco wants to know. :)

Carl Karcher was a devout Catholic. In the 1980-90s, liberals organized a boycott of Carl's Jr. for Karcher's financial support of anti-abortion groups. I named Carl's Jr, Chick-fil-a, and In-n-Out because all three were subject to liberal boycotts for being pro-life, pro-marriage, and pro GOP, respectively.

Told you guys, Big Mac beats them all. But I was surprised #1 (Big Mac) combo is now $10. It used to be around $6. Maybe it's been too long...

Happiness said:
Mety said:
Happiness said:

What about Halal Guys? You think they're Godless food also?

They are heretics.

Come on. It's just food. Enjoy good food without thinking too much of politics.

Looks like there is no fast food with kosher meats. I want some pastramis now.

Any ideas why you guys think this is the case? South Korean men have the fourth highest suicide rate in the world and for South Korean Women, it is #1. It makes me sad to see these stats like this.

Some interesting information I discovered is that only 25-29% South Korean claim themselves to be Christians whereas Koreans living in the U.S. like myself, 71-75% claim to call themselves to be Christians. Lately, I've been brushing up in my Korean writing skills to share the bible and encourage the South Korean people. Whomever I am able to reach.

women_men_korean.jpg

I was surprised at the wide coverage of Sulli's suicide this week.

Up until recently the legal working week in S. Korea was 68 hours.

Yeah, I read about Sulli's suicide. I didn't know who she was until i read the news. She was only 25 years old suffering from deep chronic depression. It is really sad.

Momopi, if you are ever interested in learning the Korean language. My Korean vocab memorization list is below.

???? ?? ???? ??????.
God loves you just the way you are.

??? - Lonliness
???? - Stress
?? - Sadness
?? - Emotion
?? - Healing
?? - Vision
?? - Goal
?? ? Success
?? ? Properity
?? ? Blessing
?? ? Grace
?? - Gift
?? ? Emotion
??? - Abundant ?
?? - Beauty
???? ? Beautiful
?? - Excellence
?? - Knowledge
?? - Wisdom
?? - Wealth
?? - Faith
?? - Hope
?? ? Love
?? - Encouragement
???? ? Exhort
?? - Comfort
??? - Strengthen
??? ? Depression
?? ? Misunderstanding
??? - Laziness
? ? - to Cry
?? ? - to Laugh
??? ? - to be Sad
? - Dance
? - Dream
?? - Penetrate
?? - Time
?? - Word of God
?? - Prayer
?? - Fasting
?? - Praise and Worship
?? - Happiness
?? - Gratitude
?? - Husband
?? - Wife
?? - Marriage
?? - Understanding
?? ? Patience
?? - Kindness
?? - Joy
?? - Peace
?? - Grace
???? ? Forgive
?? - Jealousy 
?? - Boast 
?? - Arrogant
??? - Proud 
??? - Humble
???? - Rejoices 
?? - Truth
?? - Fame 
??? - Difficult Challenges
??? ?? - Positive Thoughts
?? - Worry
?? - Repent
?? - Confession

I'm not too familiar with studies on suicide, but since this is posted in God thread, I think I can find some relation.

From the scripture, there are two big figures who committed suicide - King Saul and Judas Iscariot.

King Saul took a sword and fell dead before Philistines (Israel's enemy at the time) would come and kill/torture him. Judas Iscariot hung himself after feeling guilty about betraying Jesus. Although he hung himself, he actually died by falling to the ground/field/rock as described in Acts 1.

I believe both committed suicide because of their self guilt, but in the end it was really the faithlessness that led them so. Some say Saul died as a hero since he refused to be killed by the enemy, but if he truly had faith in God, he should have repented and surrendered by believing God would rescue. Same thing with Judas. The only difference between Judas and Peter is that Peter didn't kill himself for betraying Jesus. He was restored to be a stronger person by the resurrected Christ Himself and Judas missed that because he already ended his life by himself.

We're all like Saul and Judas. We might see them as villains, but we are much like them having lack of faith time to time even though we might call ourselves Christians. Suicide is a horrible act most might not dare to even think of committing, but faithless living is like a hopeless life that's no different than a life ended in suicide. Ever since Adam brought sin into this world, this world is full of corruption even if it might look like it's getting better (it's actually getting worse). The only way to survive is to keep asking Jesus Christ constantly to forgive and deliver us from our sinful natures, suicide being one of them. The Holy Spirit then will guide us to live faithful as promised by Jesus Himself.

May God give true hope and peace, Jesus Himself, to the family of the one who committed suicide in S. Korea.

Mety said:
I'm not too familiar with studies on suicide, but since this is posted in God thread, I think I can find some relation.

From the scripture, there are two big figures who committed suicide - King Saul and Judas Iscariot.

King Saul took a sword and fell dead before Philistines (Israel's enemy at the time) would come and kill/torture him. Judas Iscariot hung himself after feeling guilty about betraying Jesus. Although he hung himself, he actually died by falling to the ground/field/rock as described in Acts 1.

I believe both committed suicide because of their self guilt, but in the end it was really the faithlessness that led them so. Some say Saul died as a hero since he refused to be killed by the enemy, but if he truly had faith in God, he should have repented and surrendered by believing God would rescue. Same thing with Judas. The only difference between Judas and Peter is that Peter didn't kill himself for betraying Jesus. He was restored to be a stronger person by the resurrected Christ Himself and Judas missed that because he already ended his life by himself.

We're all like Saul and Judas. We might see them as villains, but we are much like them having lack of faith time to time even though we might call ourselves Christians. Suicide is a horrible act most might not dare to even think of committing, but faithless living is like a hopeless life that's no different than a life ended in suicide. Ever since Adam brought sin into this world, this world is full of corruption even if it might look like it's getting better (it's actually getting worse). The only way to survive is to keep asking Jesus Christ constantly to forgive and deliver us from our sinful natures, suicide being one of them. The Holy Spirit then will guide us to live faithful as promised by Jesus Himself.

May God give true hope and peace, Jesus Himself, to the family of the one who committed suicide in S. Korea.

God sometimes enables  suicides. I believe God knew what Samson was planning on doing when God granted Samson's wish for his strength back one last time.

Happiness said:
Mety said:

God sometimes enables  suicides. I believe God knew what Samson was planning on doing when God granted Samson's wish for his strength back one last time.

I don't think Samson's last act was a suicide but a victory of Israel and God while everyone at the time thought it was the enemy's. Although God's Spirit already left Samson because Samson forfeited it by choosing a lustful woman in place of God, he truly repented and asked God to strengthen him again so that the victory would belong to God in the end. God, being a merciful who would not turn his face to the one who truly asks for forgiveness, granted his prayer and brought forth Israel a victory again. Samson was not afraid of losing his life to do so. But God knowing what Samson was planning is surely true since He knows everything.

There are some acts that look like a suicide in the Bible. Jesus's crucifixion also would surely look like one since He could get away from getting crucified by His own power, but He CHOSE to be killed. It was however an act of the greatest love to be put to death in place of all humanity. So that He would rise from the dead and conquer death completely for us.

Panda said:
Yeah, I read about Sulli's suicide. I didn't know who she was until i read the news. She was only 25 years old suffering from deep chronic depression. It is really sad.

She was from the 2nd generation Kpop era.  YG had 2NE1, JYP had Miss A, and SM had f(x) with Sulli.  During this era the Korean entertainment industry debuted groups with Chinese speaking members to expand their market.  Miss A had Fei and Jia from China, f(x) had Victoria from China and Amber Liu (Taiwanese) from Los Angeles, & Exo had bunch of Chinese members.  They were frequently mentioned in Chinese language press in TW and Los Angeles at the time.  I liked the song "Electric Shock" by f(x), but was more of a fan of Sulli in the 2012 drama "To the beautiful you".  The drama, along with Sulli's last TV appearances in "Night of Hate Comments" are avail on Viki.com.

While religion and spirituality can help some people in need, it's not a substitute for psychiatric care.  Many conditions, including major depressive disorder, cannot be cured and require on-going treatment and monitoring.  I've known someone who suffered from psychosis (hallucinations/delusions), after joining a Church the subject of her hallucinations simply switched to Biblical figures/subjects.  Her parents sent her to Temples in Taiwan for exorcism without success.  By the time that she finally got professional help and was put on medication, she had already lost numerous jobs and was living alone on small monthly allowance provided by her parents in Taipei.

momopi said:
While religion and spirituality can help some people in need, it's not a substitute for psychiatric care.  Many conditions, including major depressive disorder, cannot be cured and require on-going treatment and monitoring.  I've known someone who suffered from psychosis (hallucinations/delusions), after joining a Church the subject of her hallucinations simply switched to Biblical figures/subjects.  Her parents sent her to Temples in Taiwan for exorcism without success.  By the time that she finally got professional help and was put on medication, she had already lost numerous jobs and was living alone on small monthly allowance provided by her parents in Taipei.

Sadly, many churches are not really where Jesus would call a real "church." Of course I'm not in a position to judge anyone as God is the only One who knows everyone's heart, but I strongly believe church is where (or should be where) God's words are being taught and celebrated of Jesus' resurrection with a hope of His return as He promised. Many so-called-churches have turned into a business where they just want to attract more people to basically make more money. Ever wondered why those weird religions are making so much money? Fake church is nothing different. Promising that they can fix someone's diseases or saying they can cast out demons are some examples of shows they've put on to advertise themselves while who Jesus is not really being preached at all.

Jesus in the New Testament never really said Christians were to fix those problems. Christians are to preach the gospel which is simply proclaiming who Jesus is. Where do we get the information about Jesus? The Holy Bible is the only reliable place or source at the end of the day. The rest is really up to God. God surely can cure someone's diseases or do all kinds of miracles the medical or science can't explain (God also gave us those medicines for us to use if needed), but those are all secondary issues before God. God accepts just as who you are despite of your illnesses or issues. What's most important is your heart. Is your heart honest to accept that you are a sinner? Is your heart ready to have Jesus as your Savior? The only Helper? Is your heart a good soil? When this issue is not resolved in a first place, I think that's where all those depressions and even suicidal thoughts could be triggered deeply in someone's life. Of course God can heal those all in His perfect timing if one truly desires and asks. When and how are something we can't know. Anyone or church who says they know how and when is most likely a fake or false church. Stay away from such places.

Many people say Christians are just as bad and sometimes even worse. That is true. While Christians should live a life that is "different" than the rest of the world to set as good examples, we are all still sinners. The only difference of a REAL Christian is that he/she would recognize his/her sin and repent of that daily before God for the short coming. And to go even further they would transform day by day becoming more Christ-like by God's grace, many times very slowly but surely. So to judge Christianity based on a Christian "person" is not really a good idea. Only judging it yourself based on what the Bible says would be the right direction. Sadly, not that many people do so. They just finalize their opinion based on judging the person.

While we're on a topic of suicide in this thread, I find many Christians say that people who commit suicide can't go to heaven or can't be saved.

I personally don't believe that to be true.

If you believe in God who forgives all sins then isn't committing suicide also considered to be forgiven?

I can explain more, but want to hear what your opinions are first.

Thoughts?

Mety said:
While we're on a topic of suicide in this thread, I find many Christians say that people who commit suicide can't go to heaven or can't be saved.

If you believe in God who forgives all sins then isn't committing suicide also considered to be forgiven?

Thoughts?

I think Catholics are taught that suicide leads to damnation, but I'm with you, those who have repented of their sin would indeed be forgiven.

Happiness said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Happiness said:

Carl Karcher was a devout Catholic. In the 1980-90s, liberals organized a boycott of Carl's Jr. for Karcher's financial support of anti-abortion groups. I named Carl's Jr, Chick-fil-a, and In-n-Out because all three were subject to liberal boycotts for being pro-life, pro-marriage, and pro GOP, respectively.

Carl Karcher's son is still a priest in the Orange diocese.  I recently met him as he presided over my great uncle's funeral.  My relatives that are Catholic said the Karchers have donated massive sums to the church over the years.

As for the politics of Carl Karcher I would be curious to know if he really was a Republican.  Many Catholics are pro-life Democrats.  I have heard Karcher was extremely unhappy with the direction of the company after he lost majority control, due to their sexy ad campaigns in the early 2000's.

So just like I feel that non-Christians can somehow get into heaven, so can people who commit suicide.

But here is the question, one can argue that by committing suicide you have lost your faith in God or no longer believe in Him, so what point in time can you profess "faith" and "repentance"?

How do you repent for your sins after you killed yourself? And if you say that you can in spirit after you die, then the same can be said in "faith" in Jesus for non-Christians after they die.

Liar Loan said:
Mety said:

Thoughts?

I think Catholics are taught that suicide leads to damnation, but I'm with you, those who have repented of their sin would indeed be forgiven.

Do you know what Catholics are basing their teaching on that one? I think they've done more wrong by adding those human standards instead of keeping it all God's standards for the salvation issue.

Back