Furniture Stores

USCTrojanCPA said:
That's it, I'm buying a flammable non Prop 65 sofa.  :-X

I'd wait until next year to buy after they finish phasing out all the non-flammable kind.  Flame vs Cancer.  Gotta pick one.

We are furniture shopping/hunting and I was wondering how the quality of stuff at crate and barrel compares to room and board. I initially was looking at ikea/living spaces but since we are buying only two main pieces of furniture (bed frame and dining set) we are tempted to invest in long lasting furniture that is relatively non-toxic (no prop 65 warnings!!) and that matches our taste. Taste-wise I like room and board best, followed by some pieces in crate and barrel.

Is Room and Board furniture durable/worth splurging on? I read a lot of bad reviews about their finish not holding up (and I have two small children). What about crate and barrel? How does Macy's home compare with these two (I saw some decent pieces there on sale this weekend). In Crate and Barrel, the salesperson assured me that all their furniture is carb2 compliant etc. I am assuming because of CA laws even macy's should carry carb compliant furniture?

For all the flak that ikea gets, our ikea bed (from grad school days) has held up pretty well..lol

Any, more recent, thoughts on furniture from these places? (Bones has deleted her messages- I was really curious about her feedback on the room and board furniture)

Chairman- where did you end up buying furniture from?
Thanks!!

Pottery Barn furniture seems to hold up very well.  We only have a couple pieces but they've performed quite nicely even with exposure to the rug rats. 

We have a few pieces from Room and Board, including a dining set.  The quality is very good - no complaint there.  We also have some furniture from Crate and Barrel.  Most of them are fine, but the finish on the barstools chips easily (they were not that pricey, so maybe we got what we paid for).

moonchild508 said:
We have a few pieces from Room and Board, including a dining set.  The quality is very good - no complaint there.  We also have some furniture from Crate and Barrel.  Most of them are fine, but the finish on the barstools chips easily (they were not that pricey, so maybe we got what we paid for).

Thanks so much!
Do you mind sharing which dining set you have? Is the finish durable? Which were the bar stools you got ? (so I can make sure to avoid them).  :)

We also went to Ethan Allen just to look and ended up finding a (smallish) dining table we liked, which was cheaper than a lot of the room and board stuff. However, I've heard that Ethan Allen's quality isn't what it was and I don't want to end up spending money on something that may not even be worth the price..

The solid mango wood stuff in Crate and Barrel seems to be reasonably priced compared to whatever else we have seen - anybody have experience with solid mango pieces? They end up being considerably cheaper than other wood furniture so I wanted to make sure they are durable. Thanks!

Whome - We have the Portica table with white glass top, and Madrid leather chairs.  Chose this combo because we have young kids and didn't want them to destroy an expensive wood table and upholstered chairs.  It has worked out well because the white glass is super easy to clean, doesn't show finger prints, and hardly gets scratches (except the underside where my kids stuck forks under the table a few times - not very noticeable though).

The C&B bar stools we bought were the Delta aluminum stools.  We didn't want to spend $$$ on the Navy stools at R&B, so we bought these for a similar look.  The quality is  disappointing.

I have furnished 2 houses by Wyckes Furniture and the items have held up better than some pieces purchased at z gallerie and were half the price.  I always recommend them especially for custom sofas.  Both times we were able to get custom sofas with dimensions we provided.  They make the sofas to the inch you need not pick from a couple sizes they offer, actually made to the inch for us and fit our space perfectly.  You can browse some of options onlinehttp://www.wyckes.com/urban-innovation/and store has more options if your looking for something to perfectly fit you and your space.

I'd recommend most of the C&B stuff, but not their couches.  The couches are wonderful, but they tend to sag easily as the support breaks...  I had mine fixed twice under warranty.  I need to figure out how to fix it myself this time, or have someone fix it...

Reviving this thread. I spent all day at Living Spaces in Irvine yesterday. It was surprising to see so many animals in there. Yes, I said animals. Yes, in a furniture store. The cherry on the top was seeing a dog ON one of the upholstered couches while the owners happily allowed him sit, stand, and walk on it for a long period of time. If somebody blind-folded you and dropped you off inside the building, you would have thought you were at an indoor dog park. What's next -- let your cat claw its way to the top of every recliner? Not really fair to the other shoppers who are there to look at furniture and didn't bring a lint roller to remove dog hair and mud from their butt or who are afraid of being bitten by dogs. The salesman told me they are under new management. The old one had a strict policy against animals coming into the store. The new one lets them come in, but they aren't supposed to be ON the furniture.  :mad:

I picked up my couch from Macys and coffee table, bar stools, and dining room table from Wayfair.com with a 10% coupon.  Very happy with all of the furniture.

I saw a rug I wanted at Restoration HW South Coast Plaza this weekend.  It caught my eye in the display so I walked in and checked the price.

$4.5k for an 8x10 area rug.  And that was the member price.

spectrum macy's hand woven rugs was $6,000...and that was half off because they were closing their doors forever.

USCTrojanCPA said:
I picked up my couch from Macys and coffee table, bar stools, and dining room table from Wayfair.com with a 10% coupon.  Very happy with all of the furniture.

We got two leather sofas and a dining room table from Macys when the economy was in the dumps (back in the days of bing cashback) for a sweet deal and been very happy with all three pieces.

The new Pryce sectional with chaise lounge by Robert Michaels was delivered - purchased among other things from Living Spaces. Very happy with it. It's 160" long. When somebody else sits on it with me, it feels like we are in different states. Deep seating, memory foam, double-sided down cushions. Comfortable without being sloppy. I also rate it a good choice for tall people.

Back