Furniture Stores

Chairman

I just checked out the store Room & Board and they have some decent modern furniture at affordable prices. A lot less compared to Design Within Reach. Anyone buy stuff from them and can verify the quality? Thanks.

Never heard of Room&Board and "affordable" as a description before.  I guess I'll never invite you over as I'll feel very self conscious.  It's gonna be Furnishing America vs. Target clearance vs. Easy Life at my house.

ps9 said:
Never heard of Room&Board and "affordable" as a description before.  I guess I'll never invite you over as I'll feel very self conscious.  It's gonna be Furnishing America vs. Target clearance vs. Easy Life at my house.

"Affordable" is how one blogger online described them. I saw a really great 4-piece sectional with right-arm chaise today for about 4 grand. That seems about right to me for a decent sofa. I am new to all this furniture shopping so I am sort of getting my handle on the various stores and price points. I can appreciate good design and quality.

In college most of my stuff was from Ikea and Target. I'm looking for certain main furniture pieces to be of higher quality (sofas, coffee table, dining table, and bed frame). I am certainly not opposed to buying from stores like Target or sample/outlet sales. I also would not look down on anyone just because of the furniture they purchased. To each their own. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
@ps9:

No Liviiinggg Spaaaaceess?

Not yet, almost bought our living room sofa from them but found out you get the same product at Furnishing America with more options and a little cheaper too.  But Living Spaces does have a nice showroom with no pressure tactics like Ashley's.  Free coffee too!  Just don't like the TV section with all the recliners.  Feels like a scene from Wall-E and the fat people.

bones said:
Chairman said:
I just checked out the store Room & Board and they have some decent modern furniture at affordable prices. A lot less compared to Design Within Reach. Anyone buy stuff from them and can verify the quality? Thanks.

Yes.  Love this place.  We have tons of stuff from them and everything is great quality.

Hey bones,

Any one particular piece you are very proud of? :p

Chairman said:

Check out Costco in the store. The price is reasonable and the wood quality is good.

Proud of meaning get excited or happy with your purchase. The york in dawson was the one i liked too. Looks like we have similar tastes! There was another couple in store that bought one.

I'm shopping for furniture too for the new house.  We checked out IKEA and decided to go more high end this time.  We considered West Elm, EasyLife, Linder's, Living Spaces, Target, Walmart, etc but wanted something more modern and can hold up longer.

I like Plummer's so far.  I did buy a special order king size bed from them recently.  The sales people are pretty nice, just avoid the Indian dude at all costs.  He's impatient, pushy and he tailgates customers.  He's always the one waiting at the door trying to get a commission. 

I like Costco furniture too but it's a pain trying to figure out how to get it home.

ZeroLot said:

I like Costco furniture too but it's a pain trying to figure out how to get it home.

Costco does deliver furniture for a reasonable cost especially if you buy several furniture at once (through a third party) .  They will only deliver up to your doorway/garage, but if you ask nicely and maybe give the deliver guy extra tip, they might help you bring it to where you want them. 

GH said:
ZeroLot said:

Costco does deliver furniture for a reasonable cost especially if you buy several furniture at once (through a third party) .  They will only deliver up to your doorway/garage, but if you ask nicely and maybe give the deliver guy extra tip, they might help you bring it to where you want them.

I didn't know that.  Thanks.  Do you know how much they charge for delivery fee?  Like under $100 or over $100??

Chairman said:
ZL,

Check out Room&Board. I think you will like it since you want modern.

Thanks Chairman.  I will go take a look at them this weekend.  How was their customer service?

It's the one on Sunflower right?

1661 W Sunflower Ave
Santa Ana, CA 92704

ZeroLot said:

For large items, just tell them that you want the item delivered to your house. Costco will call a delivery company for you while you are the store and you give them your info. the delivery company will pick up the item at costco and deliver it to your house. it costs $60 for local delivery.

ZeroLot said:
GH said:
ZeroLot said:

I didn't know that.  Thanks.  Do you know how much they charge for delivery fee?  Like under $100 or over $100??

It is through a third party, so it could vary (they should have brochure/flyers in the store or you can ask the customer service for the delivery company telephone number).  I think the cost is comparable to that of Ikea delivery (base charge plus $x for incremental item depending on distance)

I love Room&Board also. When we moved a few years back, we bought some furniture from Room&Board and some from West Elm. Totally different quality. Probably wouldn't buy from West Elm again (even though they are cheaper....you do get what you pay for.) Like others, we do like the simple, clean lines, modern furnitures.  We did check out Living Spaces and Easy Life (can't say anything about their quality but we just didn't like their styles too much), Design Within Reach (awesome stuff, but way too pricey), Plummers (wide range of stuff...some good, some bad),  and Crate&Barrel (like the designs but heard from some of my friends and read some of their online reviews that quality isn't all that great). Bottom line: my wife and I believe good furniture is a worthy investment if you plan on keeping it for a long time. With that being said, we've been extremely happy with our Room&Board furniture and will probably go there again next time we need more stuff.

Plummers is just one step up from IKEA, imho, and doesn't move well (though of course any furniture moves better than IKEA's, which dissolves).

Crate and Barrel has some high quality (and high price) furniture lines.  on the order of $3k for a good couch.

Back