Frustrated with lack of retail

Liar Loan said:
someguy said:
Liar Loan said:
What is the point of buying a "high end" bag.  Does it hold your crap better than a regular bag?

Haha.  It makes no sense to me either.  I see a bag as a tool for carrying things, but...  that's so boring isn't it...

Some people spend extra to feel "pretty"?  "Fashionable?"  Advertise their wealth?  Trying to keep up with their friends?  To each their own I guess.

I've never seen a handbag and been impressed.  In fact, I probably wouldn't recognize a 'high end' bag if the name of the company wasn't printed all over it. 

But still, the ones I've seen and taken notice of don't seem to be especially eye appealing.  Usually, they are ugly, brown little things.  My only thought when seeing one of these, is you paid $X,XXX for that?

Has anybody ever actually been impressed by seeing a handbag?

I've had a similar conversation with friends.  Few of the men recognize the difference between a $50 and $1k+ bag.  Some do though.  Some see the expensive stuff as a red flag (they assume it means the female is "high maintenance").  Some men like to buy their GFs/wives expensive things to express affection and/or impress them.  Maybe even a bit of primitive "marking their territory" sort of thinking (sorry women, no offense intended, that's not my thinking, but it does exist).

The women I had the conversation with are very sharp about recognizing cheap bags, expensive bags, and knock off bags.  Some just have fun spotting that kind of stuff for entertainment. Some of the women say they wouldn't spend their own money on luxury bags.  Some are flattered to receive it as a gift.  Some aspire to buy luxury items for themselves for all kinds of reasons.

I get the feeling there is a crowd that does like to impress and receive any kind of attention by wearing expensive things.  Men and Women alike.  Men might lean towards things like fast cars and women towards things like apparel an accessories, but yah, it's a thing. 

Check this out. Shoe collector bought fake Jordans and he thought there were real for 3 years until he read a thread how to tell if the Jordans were real or fake. Then he realized the Jordan shoes were probably FAKE. (stitching on the shoe, the Nike swoosh not perfectly cut)
https://youtu.be/egUFOb12ZHk

Not sure why eyephone keeps derailing this with fake sneakers...

But I do think Portola Springs (esp the east side) and GP is under served by a retail center.

Stonegate and Woodbury are close enough to Woodbury Town Center and even Northwood and Orchard Hills retail.

I think TIC is still feeling the sting when they built the OH center and then it struggled because OH homes got delayed.

GP is close to Spectrum and Costco center (with a huge Walmart)... but they do need something with more of a local feel and that's walk/bike-able. Also, they need a center close to Portola High so the kids can have somewhere to get lunch and hang out after school.

Burn That Belly said:
Why didn?t he just buy it at Foot Locker?

Because it?s an older shoe. So they sell premium shoes online or specialty shoe shops.

What are your thougts on the first video I posted?
?Buy bag, free girlfriend.? I hope that lady was joking around. That shits funny!

irvinehomeowner said:
Not sure why eyephone keeps derailing this with fake sneakers...

But I do think Portola Springs (esp the east side) and GP is under served by a retail center.

Stonegate and Woodbury are close enough to Woodbury Town Center and even Northwood and Orchard Hills retail.

I think TIC is still feeling the sting when they built the OH center and then it struggled because OH homes got delayed.

GP is close to Spectrum and Costco center (with a huge Walmart)... but they do need something with more of a local feel and that's walk/bike-able. Also, they need a center close to Portola High so the kids can have somewhere to get lunch and hang out after school.

Excellent points.  I am thinking with that area along Irvine Blvd being built out, it?s possible we could see a retail center somewhere along there in the future, although who knows where and when.

zero care about retail.  woodbury is close enough and has basic necessities.  Anything more I get in tustin/irvine marketplace.  Anything beyond that, you have south coast plaza.

of course, i use amazon and uber eats 99% of the time - too bad there is no gas fill up service. 

Question for OP and others is what stores are you looking for?  Food/dinning, apparel, grocery, others? 

I think there are quite a lot of good non-dining retail in TIC centers...the dining options are somewhat lacking IMO. 

Burn That Belly said:
eyephone said:
I respectfully think it is what it is.
From what I hear, the commercial rent is high in Irvine.

Be that as it may, but 101 Noodle Express and Yu's Garden have survived for years without problem... and their food is greasy and mediocre.

Love 101 Noodle...Yu Garden...not so much.

Burn That Belly said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Burn That Belly said:
eyephone said:

Be that as it may, but 101 Noodle Express and Yu's Garden have survived for years without problem... and their food is greasy and mediocre.

How about Tofu King?  Or the AYCE shabu shabu?

Tofu King is okay...pork chop rice.  Haven't not tried the shabu shabu place.  We go to Dada instead.

Burn That Belly said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Burn That Belly said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Burn That Belly said:
eyephone said:

How about Tofu King?  Or the AYCE shabu shabu?

Tofu King is okay...pork chop rice.  Haven't not tried the shabu shabu place.  We go to Dada instead.

never tried dada. Will do so maybe next week.

How about Miyabi Shabu? Or Mokoji. Mokoji offers free vegetable refills. Or King Chops. I think King Chops has the best pork chops in East irvine. Noodology was bleh*. Maybe I don't have the taste buds for their spice. Still have not tried Dear Chengdu or Long's Kitchen.

I also like Annapoorna for my tandori chicken.

Dada in Northwood plaza is pretty good. Not amazing, but I think it's the best Shabu Shabu place in Irvine.
Mokoji in CV plaza is good too, but I personally think Dada gives better quality.

I'm a big fan of Dada. You get the hot food buffet plus a good variety of veggies, noodles, seafood, and meats. Also, soft drinks and shaved ice are included in the price. Go for Lunch during the week - it's a good value.

Back