Filipino Invasion into Irvine!

iacrenter said:
I have many Filipino friends

They are amazing people, aren't they? My favorite people on the planet. I love how they're so filled with joy & so hilarious! I have a really, really hard time imagining a sad or depressed Filipino. It's like they don't exist.

I also find they're very resilient people. Story Time: I had this friend in college, Florencio. He went through a lot of hardships and was also disabled by a clubbed foot birth defect which was never properly addressed in the Philippines. But you never once heard him complain. Just happy all the time. One day he came to school as sick as a dog. He left class to go violently throw up in the bathroom repeatedly. We could all hear him down the hall. He came back, our instructor asked if he's okay. He smiled, said, "I'm fine. Just had to get a sip of water." He didn't know we could hear everything. A few minutes later, left class again. Rinse and repeat. This happened 3 or 4 times before our instructor finally went and talked to him to say he knew that Florencio was sick and suggested he go home to rest. He agreed to leave but never complained. Tough. This is not uncommon. I know others that are the same way. NOTHING BREAKS THEIR SPIRIT. I've met a few social climbers but those exist in every country. Everyone else has left a very positive impression.

TL;DR - They're kind, funny, and resilient. A+.

morekaos said:
Strippers, gambling and political corruption are our Achilles heel. ;)

Unfortunately, philandering may need to be added to the list. Rumor has it the men "take the cake" on this one. Lady killers.

I had an experience last night. Filipino guy (a first for me.) 52 years old. A wife & 2 college kids back home. Separated 14 years. He's here, working, sending money. Sad. But not uncommon. We met in the office last week. He approached me. Asked if I'm married. I told him. We talked about our families. FFWD to last night. He completely ignored that. Turned innocent chit chat into sweet talk. Planned our date out loud. A trip to the lake and visit one of the restaurants in this thread. He told me that's what we're doing. Didn't ask. Took charge. Who is he -- The Fonz?? Snap your fingers, hit a jukebox, and the girls instantly appear at your side? I was shocked, to say the least. I've got to admit -- they're good at what they do. Very attentive with women. They've got this down to a science. I can see why the men are "successful", if it can be called that. But it's sad for the family at home. I told him to go pursue his wife.

When I wrote the last post, I was unaware there's no such thing as divorce in the P.I. Evidently, it's illegal. He came back last night & explained. She's not waiting for him. My bad for calling the guy a cheater. Well, kind of. He tried his luck again. I confronted him again. He deeply apologized. Then he laid his heart completely bare. #SorryNotSorry. Totally raw emotion. Shocking to witness. Said he'll be back again Friday night. At least I was right when I said they're resilient!

I now give this topic back to you for its intended purposes.

This is #3.

1 - good looking security guard
2 - todd the butcher
3 - 52 yr old flip - true grit

Is this common for women or are you hotter than most?

zubs said:
This is #3.

2 - todd the butcher

It's been a problem for SoCal ever since her magazine cover last year ;)

c9ba5a568d3cc90fd2df8b0fe9cefa6e.jpg

My assistant is Filipino and chaperoned me through Sea Food City's steam tray buffet since I'm a complete N00b about their cuisine. Interesting stuff and would go back when next in the area.

zubs said:
This is #3.

2 - todd the butcher

I don't want to piss off the people who came here just for restaurant info. If it comes up in another thread, I'll reply there.

zubs said:
This is #3.

2 - todd the butcher

You forgot qwerty on that list. :)

I actually think there are more that SoCal may or may not be aware of.

Fire damages Seafood City:
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/02/fire-damages-irvine-seafood-market/

IRVINE A fire believed to have been caused by a faulty freezer filled a seafood market with smoke early Friday morning.

The blaze at Seafood City, 2180 Barranca Parkway, was reported around 4 a.m.

When firefighters arrived, smoke was billowing out of the front door of the market, said Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Larry Kurtz.

The fire was quickly elevated to a second alarm because of the size of the market.

The blaze centered around a 50-foot-long freezer, leading investigators to speculate the device might have malfunctioned, said Kurtz. However, the exact cause remains under investigation.

The store was closed at the time of the fire, and no one was injured.

Orange County Health Care Agency inspectors have been notified to determine how much merchandise inside the store might have to be discarded because of smoke damage, Kurtz said.

Two stores on either side of Seafood City were not damaged. It took 30 OCFA and Costa Mesa firefighters about 15 minutes to knock down the blaze.

I totally missed SoCal's Filipino story before iacrenter bumped this.  She should have her own thread for this.

aquabliss said:
I totally missed SoCal's Filipino story before iacrenter bumped this.  She should have her own thread for this.

Haha. It has been a few months since that post. We can do "A.M.A." Reddit-style if there are any questions in particular.

I drove by that place this past weekend. There is fence around the front door of the market.

iacrenter said:
Fire damages Seafood City:
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/02/fire-damages-irvine-seafood-market/

IRVINE A fire believed to have been caused by a faulty freezer filled a seafood market with smoke early Friday morning.

The blaze at Seafood City, 2180 Barranca Parkway, was reported around 4 a.m.

When firefighters arrived, smoke was billowing out of the front door of the market, said Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Larry Kurtz.

The fire was quickly elevated to a second alarm because of the size of the market.

The blaze centered around a 50-foot-long freezer, leading investigators to speculate the device might have malfunctioned, said Kurtz. However, the exact cause remains under investigation.

The store was closed at the time of the fire, and no one was injured.

Orange County Health Care Agency inspectors have been notified to determine how much merchandise inside the store might have to be discarded because of smoke damage, Kurtz said.

Two stores on either side of Seafood City were not damaged. It took 30 OCFA and Costa Mesa firefighters about 15 minutes to knock down the blaze.

Is Filipino food very spicy? I hope not. I think I might stop by a place called Pinoy Pam's in L.F. next week on the way to an appointment in that area. I've never been to a Filipino restaurant in my life. I looked at the pics of the menus on Yelp ahead of time to get an idea but I don't understand half of what it says. They're going to look at me like I'm crazy as I panic to place an order. What would be the safest thing to get? You can't trick me and say balut. I do know that one.

SoCal said:
Is Filipino food very spicy? I hope not. I think I might stop by a place called Pinoy Pam's in L.F. next week on the way to an appointment in that area. I've never been to a Filipino restaurant in my life. I looked at the pics of the menus on Yelp ahead of time to get an idea but I don't understand half of what it says. They're going to look at me like I'm crazy as I panic to place an order. What would be the safest thing to get? You can't trick me and say balut. I do know that one.

Typically not spicy. You can always ask the servers, they can speak conversational English.

SoCal said:

You can never go wrong with pancit and lumpia. Don't order dinuguan because it's a stew made with pig's blood.

Ya, get either pancit and lumpia or adobo with rice and lumpia.  Pretty basic stuff and not spicy.

Try some halo halo or ube for dessert.

Back