Eastwood Village - what's the consensus today?

eyephone said:
These are just my opinions: traditional restraunts are leaving and Asian restaurants are coming in, clothes drying outside is accepted, driving, level of communication, American traditions
It's pretty disappointing to see TIC kicking out venerable American comfort food chain Marie Callendars in favor of trendy PRC fare.  I guess the buying power of older Americans does not compare to nouveau riche mainland kids and that's all that matters nowadays.

Happiness said:
eyephone said:
These are just my opinions: traditional restraunts are leaving and Asian restaurants are coming in, clothes drying outside is accepted, driving, level of communication, American traditions
It's pretty disappointing to see TIC kicking out venerable American comfort food chain Marie Callendars in favor of trendy PRC fare.  I guess the buying power of older Americans does not compare to nouveau riche mainland kids and that's all that matters nowadays.

So I am not the only one that noticed it.

Happiness said:
eyephone said:
I guess the buying power of older Americans does not compare to nouveau riche mainland kids and that's all that matters nowadays.

Fwiw, I work in a retirement community south of Irvine. It's comprised mainly of rich white people -- I would say more than half of them are Jewish -- wealthy & very good with money management. To give you an idea, they are: long-time UCI professors, neurosurgeons, attorneys, advisers to former U.S. Presidents, authors, T.V. & radio personalities, etc. It's not that these residents don't have the buying power. It's that they have chosen to live somewhere else. Some have chosen to sell their Irvine home. Others are coming from other parts of the country -- mostly the east coast. Somewhat oddly to me, they don't bring up Irvine when we discuss their living options but sometimes I'll mention it. (This is not assisted living so they could buy anywhere they want to.) I hear 3 common reasons from them: 1) Culture clash / too asian 2) Their Irvine home value exceeded a level they felt it was reasonably worth so they cashed out, especially if they were long-time or original owners 3) Once one goes to a certain spot, they all go. They're magnets. They want to be where their peers are. Think of it as a "clique" just like in high school. Yes, even old folks are cliquey.

BangBros said:
Personally, I think it's a waste money for a couple with no kids to live in Irvine (especially if they're also paying Mello Roos).  They're funding an infrastructure and school system that which they will never get any benefit back.  There are neighboring cities that will offer you better $/sq.ft. for the same thing.
To some extent you're right. But even before we had kids I always firmly believed that you want to purchase real estate where there are really good schools, and to a lesser extent infrastructure (parks, greenbelts, 'views', shops, restaurants, etc.). Quite simply school ranking has a lot to do with the desirability, and therefore value, of homes when it comes to prospective buyers who may have kids. Whether or not one has kids, properties tend to hold their value and appreciate more in neighborhoods with good schools. So while one might not benefit from the MR as far as their kids going to the neighborhood school, they would benefit as far as their property value is concerned.

SoCal said:
Happiness said:
eyephone said:
I guess the buying power of older Americans does not compare to nouveau riche mainland kids and that's all that matters nowadays.

Fwiw, I work in a retirement community south of Irvine. It's comprised mainly of rich white people -- I would say more than half of them are Jewish -- wealthy & very good with money management. To give you an idea, they are: long-time UCI professors, neurosurgeons, attorneys, advisers to former U.S. Presidents, authors, T.V. & radio personalities, etc. It's not that these residents don't have the buying power. It's that they have chosen to live somewhere else. Some have chosen to sell their Irvine home. Others are coming from other parts of the country -- mostly the east coast. Somewhat oddly to me, they don't bring up Irvine when we discuss their living options but sometimes I'll mention it. (This is not assisted living so they could buy anywhere they want to.) I hear 3 common reasons from them: 1) Culture clash / too asian 2) Their Irvine home value exceeded a level they felt it was reasonably worth so they cashed out, especially if they were long-time or original owners 3) Once one goes to a certain spot, they all go. They're magnets. They want to be where their peers are. Think of it as a "clique" just like in high school. Yes, even old folks are cliquey.
East LA used to be a predominately Jewish neighborhood (Caesar Chavez Ave. used to be Brooklyn Ave.) until the Jewish people there moved en masse to the San Fernando Valley in the 1960s. I've talked to many older Jewish folks who get misty eyed when they talk about East LA. For example, older Jewish LA folks love the late Manny who owned El Teppac in Boyle Heights because they grew up on his burritos. El Teppac is still there but sadly Manny has passed.

Happiness said:
eyephone said:

Not sure if MC got kicked out or they chose not to renew their lease.

There are non-Asian food places moving into Irvine too... Urban Plates, all those burger joints, Fresh Bros (just opened a 2nd Irvine location).

Sure, there are more Asians in Irvine, but isn't it just food trends? Why doesn't anyone complain about the Mediterranean/Mid-East food places in Irvine like Luna Grill or KAVA?

best_potsticker_in_town said:

Ahh... so they were "forced" out.

But not strictly for "Asians".

Modern, chef-driven restaurants that have entered its retail centers include Cucina Enoteca, Red O by Rick Bayless, Babette?s, Le Pain Quotidien and Del Frisco?s Grille.

Irvine Co. also is betting big on premium fast-casual restaurants such as Lemonade, Pieology, Tender Greens and TLT Food ? new concepts that appeal to Generation Y foodies.

If you think about it, it's really the non-TIC shopping centers that are going more Asian.

nyc to oc said:
eyephone said:
Bullsback said:
nyc to oc said:
Bullsback said:
One big thing about Irvine, that can't be replaced is the location. Very centrally located to a lot of very good jobs.  That is what keeps me in Irvine.

yeah, I agree. that's the big thing that's keeping me in Irvine. The central location and best commute compromise for two spouses. Also, the shopping and proximity to kids activities is very convenient.

Otherwise, I'd probably be down in coastal South County like San Clemente, Dana Point, Laguna Niguel.

Before buying our current house, we looked a lot at older north OC neighborhoods like North Tustin, Villa Park, Orange Park Acres, etc for their beautiful non cookie cutter houses, but I was afraid that their property values will not hold as well in the long run.  I'd feel the need to budget for private schools if I lived there.

I also considered east side Costa Mesa, but the commute in and out of there on the 55 killed that.

I intend to downsize to a beach close community when I no longer need the big family house,  consider schools, or have to commute to work every day.
Yep - If it weren't for the proximity to so many places (making it pretty central for myself and my wife), I'd have no problem going south (as in my view, schools are still really good so not a differentiator and there is still plenty of good shops/things to do, albeit Irvine offers plenty of it, but is also central to so many other places). I don't like North OC, so really anything North of Tustin Ranch isn't for me (don't like seeing power lines and all that stuff...albeit some of the stuff in North Tustin is pretty nice, but I presume also comes with a lot of maintenance, being older, etc).

Just hope Irvine doesn't turn into GG or Westmininister. (But someone people might like that)

Irvine is never going to look like GG or Westminster, even if population did become 80% asian.  The HOAs are too strong here, the housing stock is way different from those boxy post war single story houses you see in north OC, and the utilities are buried. Even the shopping plazas are regulated to death in Irvine, down to the paint color and signage font. It all contributes to a much more manicured and unified look than those older postwar North OC suburbs that have much laxer zoning. Some people gonna hate on that uniformity, but it does keep the property values up.
Diamond Jamboree and AJ Plaza would like to have a word with you regarding zoning and signage regulations. Those places are total eyesores and poorly maintained.

Tbharvey said:
nyc to oc said:
eyephone said:
Bullsback said:
nyc to oc said:
Bullsback said:
One big thing about Irvine, that can't be replaced is the location. Very centrally located to a lot of very good jobs.  That is what keeps me in Irvine.

yeah, I agree. that's the big thing that's keeping me in Irvine. The central location and best commute compromise for two spouses. Also, the shopping and proximity to kids activities is very convenient.

Otherwise, I'd probably be down in coastal South County like San Clemente, Dana Point, Laguna Niguel.

Before buying our current house, we looked a lot at older north OC neighborhoods like North Tustin, Villa Park, Orange Park Acres, etc for their beautiful non cookie cutter houses, but I was afraid that their property values will not hold as well in the long run.  I'd feel the need to budget for private schools if I lived there.

I also considered east side Costa Mesa, but the commute in and out of there on the 55 killed that.

I intend to downsize to a beach close community when I no longer need the big family house,  consider schools, or have to commute to work every day.
Yep - If it weren't for the proximity to so many places (making it pretty central for myself and my wife), I'd have no problem going south (as in my view, schools are still really good so not a differentiator and there is still plenty of good shops/things to do, albeit Irvine offers plenty of it, but is also central to so many other places). I don't like North OC, so really anything North of Tustin Ranch isn't for me (don't like seeing power lines and all that stuff...albeit some of the stuff in North Tustin is pretty nice, but I presume also comes with a lot of maintenance, being older, etc).

Just hope Irvine doesn't turn into GG or Westmininister. (But someone people might like that)

Irvine is never going to look like GG or Westminster, even if population did become 80% asian.  The HOAs are too strong here, the housing stock is way different from those boxy post war single story houses you see in north OC, and the utilities are buried. Even the shopping plazas are regulated to death in Irvine, down to the paint color and signage font. It all contributes to a much more manicured and unified look than those older postwar North OC suburbs that have much laxer zoning. Some people gonna hate on that uniformity, but it does keep the property values up.
Diamond Jamboree and AJ Plaza would like to have a word with you regarding zoning and signage regulations. Those places are total eyesores and poorly maintained.

+1

Tbharvey said:
nyc to oc said:
eyephone said:
Bullsback said:
nyc to oc said:
Bullsback said:

Sorry, I wouldn't know about those--I never go there.
I was referring to all the TIC owned plazas being tightly regulated with regards to their appearance.

BangBros said:
nyc to oc said:
I was referring to all the TIC owned plazas being tightly regulated with regards to their appearance.

How can someone who lives in Irvine never been to Diamond  Jamboree?  Only one logical explanation, must be super white-republican that dislike slant-eyed orientals.  ;D

Highly recommend 85C bakery, Meet Fresh for Taiwanese boba, and even the Capital Seafood dim
sum.

I'm Chinese. I think Capital Seafood is overrated and 85C as well. I avoid that plaza due to overcrowding and rude drivers. Last time I was there was over 2 years ago.

You've already called me a "fake" Asian in the past (oh, only I speak Mandarin so well that most Chinese people assume I'm a native speaker when they meet me), so go ahead, make...my...day, call me one again for avoiding DJ plaza. 

Even white guys can appreciate the flavored Mojitos at Tokyo Table.  Best foo-foo drink I've had in awhile.

Pair it with some ice cream honey toast and call it a night.

BangBros said:
nyc to oc said:

Highly recommend 85C bakery, Meet Fresh for Taiwanese boba, and even the Capital Seafood dim sum.

That's if you can get parking.

BangBros said:
nyc to oc said:
BangBros said:
nyc to oc said:

How can someone who lives in Irvine never been to Diamond  Jamboree?  Only one logical explanation, must be super white-republican that dislike slant-eyed orientals.  ;D

Highly recommend 85C bakery, Meet Fresh for Taiwanese boba, and even the Capital Seafood dim
sum.

I'm Chinese. I think Capital Seafood is overrated and 85C as well. I avoid that plaza due to overcrowding and rude drivers. Last time I was there was over 2 years ago.

You've already called me a "fake" Asian in the past (oh, only I speak Mandarin so well that most Chinese people assume I'm a native speaker when they meet me), so go ahead, make...my...day, call me one again for avoiding DJ plaza.

Saying 85C, Meet Fresh, BCD Tofu, and Capital Seafood is over-rated is like saying "condos", "zero-lot lines", "attached", "no back yard", and "motor-courts" are over-rated....  (which...could be true, i mean, look at what you can get in Corona/Riverside/Victorville these days for the same money)

sorry, but it's not what "we" think.  It's what the "market" thinks.  And clearly, the market is able to sell $760k "attached" condos and $850k+ detached "condos".  So my point is, the very people, that eat at those places, are the very people (future generation) that will cause your home in Irvine to appreciate.
So we shouldn't be saying they're over-rated.  They just might stop eating there and start eating at Marie Calenders or Black Angus or Apple Bees.  NOT.

BB out.

The Real estate market is heating up almost everywhere not just Irvine.

It's not just me who see Irvine is changing, there were many (Trump tone) that posted today and agreed.

BangBros said:
Complaining about parking and traffic is like complaining about living in LA.  Sorry, but this is socal.  Traffic and parking is a life long problem.

But hey, I guess only old people are allowed to make complaints like that because I guess as you age, you can no longer tolerate it.  So I guess that's why old people move to less crowded areas like san clemente or some shit like that.  I wouldn't want to see a 83-year old white lady in a '93 Oldsmobile doing 30mph on a 60mph jeffrey or 50mph culver because her eye sight is so bad.  Do you?    If she hits you, she probably has no more money in her 401k to pay you.

So there are great drivers that follow the stop signs at DJ?

Back