Dining in Irvine, unless you eat at old people times, you'll have to wait

ps99472

It has been more frustrating lately:  most good places get filled up quickly right at opening around 5-5:30pm and takes a good 40-45 minutes if you want to eat at regular dinner time.  Even take out has been a hassle:  tried calling Class 302 numerous times, only once I got a live person, all subsequent calls went to a message that says cannot take message.  Our old dependables are now gone:  can no longer walk in to SWSH, iTea Cafe, Tang 190.  Dining at the Mitsuwa food court is stressful with the priority of finding a decent table first without being able to order.  It can only get worse as more and more homes get built.  Guess no one likes to use their wok kitchen. 

ps9 said:
It has been more frustrating lately:  most good places get filled up quickly right at opening around 5-5:30pm and takes a good 40-45 minutes if you want to eat at regular dinner time.  Even take out has been a hassle:  tried calling Class 302 numerous times, only once I got a live person, all subsequent calls went to a message that says cannot take message.  Our old dependables are now gone:  can no longer walk in to SWSH, iTea Cafe, Tang 190.  Dining at the Mitsuwa food court is stressful with the priority of finding a decent table first without being able to order.  It can only get worse as more and more homes get built.  Guess no one likes to use their wok kitchen.

Have you tried Seoul Haus on Trabuco/Yale (next to liquor store)? Better than Tang 190 in terms of food and service!

ps9 said:
  Our old dependables are now gone:  can no longer walk in to SWSH, iTea Cafe, Tang 190.

iTea Cafe is still very good as for walk in anytime and no waiting, and that's my new go to place  when others are so crowded.  iTea Cafe currently offer  a free shaved snow boba drink if you spend $20 or more.

What is wrong with old people time?

We usually go early or later to avoid crowds... not too much of an inconvenience for us.

ps9 said:
Dining at the Mitsuwa food court is stressful with the priority of finding a decent table first without being able to order.
Same with Marketplace In-N-Out at lunchtime.  Finding a table is ridiculous.

Yeah we never cook at home either. I go
Get my wife takeout every nite as she is putting out daughter to bed.

One place she really likes is THH in Tustin. It's a sandwich place like lees but has more types of food as well. I don't know the names though. And they have her beloved Vietnamese coffee.

That is an interesting question... how many of us eat out more than we cook in? Seems like quite a few of us are in that category.

Usually when you are in dual income families (generalizing), I tend to see less home cooking.

We've done this cost comparison before trying to determine how much money eating in saves us but when you combine cost of food plus cost of time cooking and cleaning, the difference isn't that huge.

I like cooking, it just takes so much time and you smell up the house (esp in a Great Room floorplan :) )and mess up the kitchen.

kalbi said:
Have you tried Seoul Haus on Trabuco/Yale (next to liquor store)? Better than Tang 190 in terms of food and service!

Went here once since I was tired of the wait at Tang 190.  Won't be going back!  The food is no where as good as Tang 190 and the ban chan is just as bad as Yigah's!  There were only 2 tables being served at 6PM when I went (and throughout my entire meal) so service should definitely be top notch here. 

irvinehomeowner said:
That is an interesting question... how many of us eat out more than we cook in? Seems like quite a few of us are in that category.

Usually when you are in dual income families (generalizing), I tend to see less home cooking.

We've done this cost comparison before trying to determine how much money eating in saves us but when you combine cost of food plus cost of time cooking and cleaning, the difference isn't that huge.

I like cooking, it just takes so much time and you smell up the house (esp in a Great Room floorplan :) )and mess up the kitchen.

After a long day at work, the least I want to worry about is food.  I want delicious and I want it now.  Wife works full time, don't expect her to cook and don't really want her to cook ( :) ).  Takeout is not bad after you factor in the leftover for lunch the next day. 

ps9 said:
irvinehomeowner said:

After a long day at work, the least I want to worry about is food.  I want delicious and I want it now.  Wife works full time, don't expect her to cook and don't really want her to cook ( :) ).  Takeout is not bad after you factor in the leftover for lunch the next day. 
I agree... don't want her to cook either.

Don't know how my mother did it... she worked longer hours and had a longer commute than my dad but she still cooked when she got home... props to my moms.

That's cause your mom was old school. Women today are too spoiled. If I'm around and my daughter poos you can bet that my wife will ask me for help changing her diaper. My father in law once suggested we get a nanny on the weekend so my wife could rest more. All I could think was that those are the only two days we get to spend with our daughter and this dude wants us to get a weekend nanny. Give me a break. He spoiled his girls and this is the result.

Normally we eat at home 5 out of 7 days a week. We've been eating out more this past week and haven't encountered a wait anywhere.

But yea - we usually get dinner early.

Back