Cypress village vs Orchard Hills

talkirvinejon

What's the advantage and disadvantage of those communities?

I'm aware that OH has better school, but I think Cypress village is closer to I5 and shopping (Spectrum).

Orchard Hills is more of a country feeling. 
Cypress Village is closer to stuff.

OH feels like it would be more expensive because it's higher in elevation, and backs to uninhabited hills.  CV has a freeway and a bunch of houses surrounding it.  It feels more crowded.

Beside Cypress, they own another piece of land across from Sand Canyon ave. Do you know what they'll be building on that empty land?

talkirvinejon said:
Beside Cypress, they own another piece of land across from Sand Canyon ave. Do you know what they'll be building on that empty land?

When I talked to someone at Cal Pac they said its going to be even more apartments. Could be good for a sound barrier, but quite awful in every other way.

test said:
talkirvinejon said:

High School #6
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,11833.0.html

test said:
Another six schools are planned in Irvine Unified in the coming years.

PLANNED IRVINE SCHOOLS
Portola Springs Elementary School, set to open fall 2015
High School No. 5, set to open fall 2016
K-8 school serving Heritage Fields development, set to open fall 2016
Elementary school, fall 2017
Elementary school, fall 2019
K-8 or K-6 school serving Heritage Fields development, fall 2021
High school No. 6, to be determined

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/school-636976-irvine-new.html

Hi Test -In the above post (from other link) you mention a couple of new elementary schools coming up in 2017 and 2019 -- Any info on where they will be located?

Also the location of the new K-8's ?

Elementary school, fall 2017
Elementary school, fall 2019
K-8 school serving Heritage Fields development, set to open fall 2016
K-8 or K-6 school serving Heritage Fields development, fall 2021

Thanks,

If that new 2019 elementary is indeed the new K-8 school located in the Orchard Hills neighborhood 3, that means TIC is panning to open that community around summer of 2018.

I have high hope for this Orchard Hills neighborhood.  You got a gated Orchard Hills community within IUSD, a K-8 and high school just right out of the gate, it's just perfect. 

"If that new 2019 elementary is indeed the new K-8 school located in the Orchard Hills neighborhood 3, that means TIC is panning to open that community around summer of 2018."

Could the gurus shed some lights on this?  We are currently debating on whether to purchase at Groves @ OH or wait for Neighborhood 3.  From what I have heard, if the market continue to hold up, TIC is going to sell the current Phase I of Grove (619 homes), then the Phase II of Groves (373 homes) around 2016, then Phase III of Groves (185 homes) around 2018...  it still has Phase IV (223 homes) to be released, 2020? It becomes very interesting to put Eastwood and OH Neighborhood 3 into perspective.  How are they going to line up?
Anyone have any idea?   

New homeowner in CV here. Love the place-- close to good Chinese food, Woodbury Town Center, CV plaza and JOST. But let's not kid anyone here. OH >>>>>>>>>>> CV. And that's the truth.

BruinRevolution said:
New homeowner in CV here. Love the place-- close to good Chinese food, Woodbury Town Center, CV plaza and JOST. But let's not kid anyone here. OH >>>>>>>>>>> CV. And that's the truth.

Agreed. OH and CV are not even similar. Not sure why the comparison. CV doesn't even offer guard gated community, nor hillside views. But supposedly the toll road noise is comparable to the 5 frwy.... :eek:

The question isn't whether Orchard Hills is a better location than Cypress Village. The question should be what is the premium you'd be willing to pay for a substantially similar house on a similar lot in Orchard Hills vs. Cypress Village?

Irvine Pacific is building Strada in OH and Laurel in CV. The three floor plans are very similar with Strada plans being slightly larger with 10' ceilings. Strada has a wide variety of lot sizes and locations (end of cul-de-sac), whereas Laurel is laid-out in a fairly basic grid pattern with most homes having short setback yards.

Comparing a substantially similar house and lot in these two neighborhoods should result in a premium for OH of what?

Perspective said:
Irvine Pacific is building Strada in OH and Laurel in CV. The three floor plans are very similar with Strada plans being slightly larger with 10' ceilings.
I visited both Laurel and Strada... they seemed to have the same ceiling height... has anyone confirmed that they don't?

irvinehomeowner said:
Perspective said:
Irvine Pacific is building Strada in OH and Laurel in CV. The three floor plans are very similar with Strada plans being slightly larger with 10' ceilings.
I visited both Laurel and Strada... they seemed to have the same ceiling height... has anyone confirmed that they don't?

I haven't measured both, but when I visited Laurel and mentioned I was pre-qualified at Strada, one of the differences the sales person identified was the ceiling height.

We just bought Laurel and had visited Strada - I measured both of them myself: Laurel is 9' and Strada is 10'. You can tell the difference from their 360 Tour too.

We bought in CV for closer to everything, elementary school is literally right at my backyard, and only one major traffic light to freeway. But I do agree OH got better feel than CV. Just not my first priority for now.

I have lived in West Irvine and used Jamboree for 11 years. I witnessed how population growth makes the traffic and lights more and more unbearable. Just had enough.

lnc said:
Although CV doesn't have scenic avocado orchard, CV does have a huge open area form by trios of park and elementary school which is quite nice.

The biggest park at the center is the Cypress Grove Park.  See it for yourself. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi9cg07grNc

The orchards are nice because it's greenery in hills that will remain this way - very scenic; but you omitted the fact that OH is in the hills. This gives OH an isolated feel and makes the streets more interesting. It's not laid-out in the typical straight grid pattern you see in CV, Woodbury, Stonegate, etc. (less so in Pavilion Park).

Do you think a substantially similar home in OH should sell for a premium relative to CV, and if so, how much of a premium?

We went through the same dilemma about whether to go with CV or OH and so here is my take on the differences. The difference lies not just in the feel and cost/sqft and lot sizes but also in the standards that come with homes in each neighborhood as I will detail below.

1. For the same price you will get a larger home with a larger lot size in CV vs OH
2. Better location of lot size in CV for same (or even lesser) price
3. CV's proximity to elementary and middle school which is a huge plus (and these schools will be great since they are new). Though Canyon view (and Northwood high) is very close to OH too. Sierra Vista is not too close.
4. CV's proximity to shopping and generally everything. This was a factor for us but then we realized OH was literally just another 5 mins from CV. So both Cv and OH were (relatively) far away from a lot of the places we frequent (Newport beach public library among other places)

Our final comparison was Marigold Plan 1 and Cortebella Plan 1. The sq footage was almost the same but Marigold had a bigger lot size, bigger backyard, the option to add a conservatory/CA room (which is available in Strada but not in Cortebella). With Marigold we would have been at the end of the street, a true corner plot. With Corteblla, sandwiched in the middle of Plan 2 and Plan 3.
You would think we'd choose Marigold, right? But no, we chose Cortebella..LOL

For us the deciding factors were the schools and the neighborhood We loved the feel of the Orchard Hills neighborhood. There is a lot of 'space' between the different communities, making each community sort of (comparatively) nestled. In Orchard Hills you can walk to a cul de sac after a long hectic day and just gaze at the view and relax..lol. I realize that for a lot of people these are not really practical or quantifiable positives, but for us, it was. It is one of the very few places in Irvine that you can do actually do that.

A few other things to take note of on the practical side of things that I realized only after we had made the decision but it is good to factor these in the cost too if you are planning the following upgrades (we weren't so these weren't a factor for us but a bonus).

1) OH homes come with standard ceramic tile vs vinyl in CV (which can be a disadvantage if you are planning on doing flooring after escrow since ceramic is more expensive to remove)
2) six burner stovetops in OH vs CV
3) soft close drawers seem to be the standard in OH and I think they are an upgrade in CV
4) Built in microwave in Cortbella vs freestanding microwave in Marigold. Also the built in microwave and oven combo in OH looks really nice.

P.S The master bedroom in Cortebella to me seemed bigger than in the other options we were considering (Jasmine 3, Marigold 1) but I might be imagining things? Also in Cortebella even the Plan 1s had vaulted ceilings in the entry while in Marigold, the Plan 1 didn't.

I'll add more when I think of them.

Back