COX v. UVERSE

paperboyNC said:
I pay $105/mo including tax for U-verse TV & Internet:

$46/mo for U-verse Internet Max (12mbps down)
$89/mo for U-verse TV:

- NFL Network (no redzone)
- Lakers, Angels, Dodgers, Clippers, etc.
- 3 DVRs (probably only 500mb hard drive)

($35/mo) discount for multi plan

$5/mo taxes + fee

total: $105/mo

I really do want more storage on my DVR though. AT&T Uverse offers a better one - but only for new customers they say. When my contract is up I'll complain.

i dont think you make them enough money. if you had the top packages they offer, get their sports packages and buy movies on demand i bet you can call and get whatever hardware you want for free. i called directv when the genie (1TB of storage) and they gave it to me for free as well as free install.

qwerty said:
paperboyNC said:
I pay $105/mo including tax for U-verse TV & Internet:

$46/mo for U-verse Internet Max (12mbps down)
$89/mo for U-verse TV:

- NFL Network (no redzone)
- Lakers, Angels, Dodgers, Clippers, etc.
- 3 DVRs (probably only 500mb hard drive)

($35/mo) discount for multi plan

$5/mo taxes + fee

total: $105/mo

I really do want more storage on my DVR though. AT&T Uverse offers a better one - but only for new customers they say. When my contract is up I'll complain.

i dont think you make them enough money. if you had the top packages they offer, get their sports packages and buy movies on demand i bet you can call and get whatever hardware you want for free. i called directv when the genie (1TB of storage) and they gave it to me for free as well as free install.

I haven't asked. I want to wait until summer when my DVR is empty

I hear ya. I lost my 2012 Victoria secret show when I got the new dvr this January. Finally the 2013 show airs tonite

So I never got to compare Dish pricing to Cox because I got lazy... and I'm regretting it.

The Contour service that Cox is heavily promoting is great... when it works. I mostly have problems on the secondary boxes where they can't access the DVR, freeze or have a bad picture. The answer from tech support is to reboot the box but that's inconvenient. The main box is usually fine, no problems with accessing the DVR or freezing but it will randomly reboot at times... and when that happens in the middle of recording a show, you get a gap (which I don't find out until I'm watching the DVRed show).

And, Cox knows about this. The last tech support guy I called out said that it's a common complaint and that Cox will fix it with software/firmware updates but it's annoying I'm paying so much for inconvenient service.

For anyone with whole home DVR on satellite DirecTV or Dish (Hoppah!), do you get these same type of issues?

irvinehomeowner said:
So I never got to compare Dish pricing to Cox because I got lazy... and I'm regretting it.

The Contour service that Cox is heavily promoting is great... when it works. I mostly have problems on the secondary boxes where they can't access the DVR, freeze or have a bad picture. The answer from tech support is to reboot the box but that's inconvenient. The main box is usually fine, no problems with accessing the DVR or freezing but it will randomly reboot at times... and when that happens in the middle of recording a show, you get a gap (which I don't find out until I'm watching the DVRed show).

And, Cox knows about this. The last tech support guy I called out said that it's a common complaint and that Cox will fix it with software/firmware updates but it's annoying I'm paying so much for inconvenient service.

For anyone with whole home DVR on satellite DirecTV or Dish (Hoppah!), do you get these same type of issues?

i have the whole home DVR with DirectTV - i have the genie DVR in the living room, little genie thing in the master, i forget the name, i think its a genie client, its about 4 inches by 4 inches, and then another HD DVR in the loft. i never have any problems with the boxes rebooting or accessing the content in one room from the DVR in another room. direct tv always seems to be ahead of the cable companies with their technology. i think countour may have this, but direct tv has a genie go, so you can take your shows that are recorded on the dvr on the go to watch anywhere you want or if you are on wifi you can watch your dvr'd shows remotely, kind of like a sling box.

http://www.directv.com/technology/geniego?ACM=false&lpos=Header:3

none of my friends that have moved into new homes like their uverse.. it's too slow.  How does new technology only get you 25MBps max?  Fios doesn't do that.  Cox is pricey and get pricier.. but at least the speeds are there. 

jmoney74 said:
none of my friends that have moved into new homes like their uverse.. it's too slow.  How does new technology only get you 25MBps max?  Fios doesn't do that.  Cox is pricey and get pricier.. but at least the speeds are there.

I guess I don't download large files much because Uverse is very fast for me. Faster than the internet at work.

paperboyNC said:
jmoney74 said:

I guess I don't download large files much because Uverse is very fast for me. Faster than the internet at work.

That might be so.. but why don't they offer faster speeds.. if it is indeed Fiber? 

jmoney74 said:
paperboyNC said:
jmoney74 said:

That might be so.. but why don't they offer faster speeds.. if it is indeed Fiber? 

test said:
You need to get U-verse FTTH (fiber to the home) not fiber-to-the-node (FTTN).
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,4167.msg65723.html#msg65723

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:

i have the whole home DVR with DirectTV - i have the genie DVR in the living room, little genie thing in the master, i forget the name, i think its a genie client, its about 4 inches by 4 inches, and then another HD DVR in the loft. i never have any problems with the boxes rebooting or accessing the content in one room from the DVR in another room. direct tv always seems to be ahead of the cable companies with their technology. i think countour may have this, but direct tv has a genie go, so you can take your shows that are recorded on the dvr on the go to watch anywhere you want or if you are on wifi you can watch your dvr'd shows remotely, kind of like a sling box.

http://www.directv.com/technology/geniego?ACM=false&lpos=Header:3

qwerty,

I have a similar DirecTV setup as yours.  Did you get that DirectTV 'to go' unit similar to the slingbox?  I currently have the slingbox but channel changing and studdering sucks on ipad/iphone with it.  On the PC it is fine.  I was told by Slingbox their older units did not have the horsepower to handle apple devices but their new units can.  Unfortunately I don't want to dish out cash for another slingbox.

@davenlei - no I don't have the genie "go" I'm thinking of getting it but haven't pulled the trigger. Not sure how much I'll use it, if I traveled a lot for work I'd definitely get one

So guys if you are no longer under contract with DirecTV and have family members with the same deal.. there is a way to save a lot of money.  PM me if you want to know how..  some of you might know already. 

It's more of a trick than anything but if you are like me... I'm tired of paying a lot for tv.

Just got the DirectTV from the costco order... It's a 2 year commitment.  Hope I make the right choice.  For TV, We only watch HGTV and Kids channel, so we chose the basic.  After all the discounts and rebates, we are paying $46.99/month for 12 months and then 71 for the next 12 months.  This includes 1 whole house DVR and 3 boxes and $200 costco gift card.  offer ends 4/9/14.

Order Date: 04/04/2014

YOUR PROGRAMMING SELECTIONS,
SPECIAL OFFERS AND SERVICES
Additional TV $0.00
SELECT $49.99
HBO and SHOWTIME $30.00
Advanced Receiver $25.00
Additional TV - 2 Clients $12.00
You Save $10 for 12 Mos -$10.00
24 Mo Credit w/AutoPay + eBill -$10.00
12 Mo Instant Rebate -$20.00
3 Month Premium Channel Credit -$30.00

ESTIMATED FIRST BILL* $46.99

YOUR EQUIPMENT SELECTIONS
Qty Description
1 DIRECTV? Genie $299.00
2 DIRECTV? Genie Mini $198.00
1 Cinema Connection Kit $0.00
2 Instant Rebate -$198.00
1 Instant Rebate -$299.00

Equipment Total $0.00

ADDITIONAL FEES
Tax $0.00

ORDER TOTAL PAID** $0.00

Coscto gift card is nice. Could you have also used a friend referral credit?

Look at this awesome deal that Verizon FiOS offers! What is up with Irvine not having fiber optic? Cox is so overpriced!

Verizon FIOS is now offering a no contract plan! Sign up for FIOS 50/25Mbps High-Speed Internet for only $50.00 per month for up to one year. Order online and get the activation fee waived (normally $50)! This is a big $35/mo discount from the normal price of this package, and you get the TV bundle listed below.

In addition to some of the faster internet speeds available, you get FiOS TV Local and your choice of HBO and HBO Go or Showtime and Showtime Anytime.

I still remember when Verizon came around to install FiOS fiber cables in my suburb of Seattle, WA.  They tore up all the roads into our nice community, spray painted markings all over (looked very ghetto) and after they were done, they did not get rid of the spray painting.  Not to mention they tore into a gas line near my house and I thought our house was going to blow up.  And, this was just around the time I was trying to sell my house to come down here.  Their junction box was buried in my front lawn so they tore that up as well.  I should have denied them access to my area like Putin to get a deep discount. :p  I hope the procedure around here will be better.

Chairman said:
Look at this awesome deal that Verizon FiOS offers! What is up with Irvine not having fiber optic? Cox is so overpriced!

Verizon FIOS is now offering a no contract plan! Sign up for FIOS 50/25Mbps High-Speed Internet for only $50.00 per month for up to one year. Order online and get the activation fee waived (normally $50)! This is a big $35/mo discount from the normal price of this package, and you get the TV bundle listed below.

In addition to some of the faster internet speeds available, you get FiOS TV Local and your choice of HBO and HBO Go or Showtime and Showtime Anytime.

Back