coronavirus

CNBC: CDC says U.S. has way too much virus to control pandemic as cases surge across country

The coronavirus is spreading too rapidly and too broadly for the U.S. to bring it under control, Dr. Anne Schuchat, principal deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Monday.

The U.S. has set records for daily new infections in recent days as outbreaks surge mostly across the South and West. The recent spike in new cases has outpaced daily infections in April when the virus rocked Washington state and the northeast, and when public officials thought the outbreak was hitting its peak in the U.S.

We're not in the situation of New Zealand or Singapore or Korea where a new case is rapidly identified and all the contacts are traced and people are isolated who are sick and people who are exposed are quarantined and they can keep things under control, she said in an interview with The Journal of the American Medical Association's Dr. Howard Bauchner. We have way too much virus across the country for that right now, so it's very discouraging.

This is really the beginning, Schuchat said of the U.S.'s recent surge in new cases. I think there was a lot of wishful thinking around the country that, hey it's summer. Everything's going to be fine. We're over this and we are not even beginning to be over this. There are a lot of worrisome factors about the last week or so.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/29/cdc...l-pandemic-as-cases-surge-across-country.html

My comment: I guess the CDC goal is to become covid free like New Zealand, Singapore and South Korea. As the CDC mentions those countries. I was not too far off in my previous posts.

Way to much virus to control?

Los Angeles closes beaches July 4th weekend:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/los-an...-4th-of-july-weekend-citing-coronavirus-risk/

Beaches in Los Angeles County will be closed over July 4 weekend to prevent "dangerous crowding that results in the spread of deadly COVID-19," the county's public health department said in a Monday statement. Fireworks will also be prohibited, the county said.

The closure begins just after midnight on July 3, and ends July 6 at 5:00 a.m., the department said. It applies to all public beaches, piers, public beach parking lots, beach bike paths that cross sanded parts of the beach and beach access points.

The decision does not apply to nearby Long Beach, which has its own health department, the statement said.

But it looks like morekaos can still have a weekend at the beach. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Los Angeles closes beaches July 4th weekend:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/los-an...-4th-of-july-weekend-citing-coronavirus-risk/

Beaches in Los Angeles County will be closed over July 4 weekend to prevent "dangerous crowding that results in the spread of deadly COVID-19," the county's public health department said in a Monday statement. Fireworks will also be prohibited, the county said.

The closure begins just after midnight on July 3, and ends July 6 at 5:00 a.m., the department said. It applies to all public beaches, piers, public beach parking lots, beach bike paths that cross sanded parts of the beach and beach access points.

The decision does not apply to nearby Long Beach, which has its own health department, the statement said.

But it looks like morekaos can still have a weekend at the beach. :)

Guess those LA folks will be moving down to Long Beach and Orange County beaches then.  haha

So are some of you guys saying there are more cases popping since the businesses have been opening back to normal?

There was coronavirus at a school in Irvine.  Scheduled to be closed down for 2+ weeks.

The toddler class in our Montesorri only had 4 kids in the class...so the majority of people aren't sending their kids back to school from what I can tell, though there was a waitlist for preschool ages, but I don't know the details on how many classes they have now, last I heard about a month ago was 1 class to start end of June, 1 or 2 in July.  Used to be 5/6+? classes of 24, now limited to 10 kids.

We are not saying it, we know it.

People in healthcare knows. Hospitals in California are getting full.

You don't need agencies, news, government to tell you when your friends and family who works in health care called out of the blue and give you stern warning to limit going out.

akkord said:
There was coronavirus at a school in Irvine.  Scheduled to be closed down for 2+ weeks.

The toddler class in our Montesorri only had 4 kids in the class...so the majority of people aren't sending their kids back to school from what I can tell, though there was a waitlist for preschool ages, but I don't know the details on how many classes they have now, last I heard about a month ago was 1 class to start end of June, 1 or 2 in July.  Used to be 5/6+? classes of 24, now limited to 10 kids.

What school in Irvine? Was it a student who got C-19 or the teacher/staff?

Innosint said:

You don't need agencies, news, government to tell you when your friends and family who works in health care called out of the blue and give you stern warning to limit going out.

If schools will and/or have to shut down for 2 weeks for every positive COVID test, might as well just do complete distance learning. 

Oops. Quoted the wrong thing. Too lazy to fix.

Innosint said:

Which hospitals in CA are getting full? Are the public city hospitals getting to the point where they can?t take patients anymore? We can?t say hospitals are getting full when some small clinic businesses are having more people than usual.

I?m just trying to get the truth. Some say facts are facts as they appear on data and through people in medical business and so on, but isn?t there a possibility those also could be coming from someone else?s biased opinions?

This was more afterschool care/camp at an IUSD school, not sure what they would do during actual classes. I'm sure if you called the health department they'd give you more info if allowed.  I'm just letting you know it's closer than you think if you have kids, its bound to spread in school.

Mety said:
Innosint said:

Which hospitals in CA are getting full? Are the public city hospitals getting to the point where they can?t take patients anymore? We can?t say hospitals are getting full when some small clinic businesses are having more people than usual.

I?m just trying to get the truth. Some say facts are facts as they appear on data and through people in medical business and so on, but isn?t there a possibility those also could be coming from someone else?s biased opinions?

Google covid hospital full in CA?
https://abc7.com/coronavirus-covid-...nty-hospital-beds-icu-san-bernardino/6282266/

Almost every ICU bed in Riverside County is currently being used. The county website shows ICU utilization has steadily risen in the past two weeks, from about 82% just two weeks ago to almost 99% as of Sunday.

Is the county overreporting their own beds and usage?  What would they gain from that?

akkord said:
This was more afterschool care/camp at an IUSD school, not sure what they would do during actual classes. I'm sure if you called the health department they'd give you more info if allowed.  I'm just letting you know it's closer than you think if you have kids, its bound to spread in school.

I think we?re all aware kids will get in in schools. My point is about the shut down. So elem school of 1000 kids. 70% opt to do some in person learning. One person (student, teacher, staff) tests positive, do they shut down the whole thing for 2 weeks?  Do they only shut down portions that had exposure?  Because if it?s the whole school, shut down for 2 weeks, might as well not bother with opening.

Mety said:
Innosint said:

Hospitals of Kaiser across Southern california and LA County are ones I personally knows that's getting full, large enough for you?

LA county is also forcing resident to stay and practice for extra hours, if not, they risk getting disqualified or received lowest passing grade

bones said:
akkord said:

I think we?re all aware kids will get in in schools. My point is about the shut down. So elem school of 1000 kids. 70% opt to do some in person learning. One person (student, teacher, staff) tests positive, do they shut down the whole thing for 2 weeks?  Do they only shut down portions that had exposure?  Because if it?s the whole school, shut down for 2 weeks, might as well not bother with opening.

Depends.  How?s the air handling in the building?  If there is a HVAC servicing multiple rooms, IMHO,  everybody on the community HVAC is exposed.  It?s the restaurant scenario.

akkord said:

So it was NOT one of public schools. Your initial post sounded like C-19 broke out from one of public elementary schools or something. That's why I asked you since you sounded more informed about it than me.

I'm not and never has been against protecting kids' health. I'm just questioning for accuracy. One word could mean millions of things if not addressed correctly. 

Back