Cheap furniture

whenever you see "webbing seat suspension" you will sink. these guys try to fancy it up by calling "European" - nice.

ec9138d4455e13b51f0834f3096fa4c3_zps0c4fcdb8.jpg
http://www.target.com/p/threshold-153-nolan-upholstered-wingback-chair/-/A-14515051

Price dropped from $200 to $140 today.  Bonded leather, wingback chair, espresso color.  Good for book reading or iPad'ing.  But wife is not liking it too much.  Maybe loft or library?

ps9 said:
ec9138d4455e13b51f0834f3096fa4c3_zps0c4fcdb8.jpg
http://www.target.com/p/threshold-153-nolan-upholstered-wingback-chair/-/A-14515051

Price dropped from $200 to $140 today.  Bonded leather, wingback chair, espresso color.  Good for book reading or iPad'ing.  But wife is not liking it too much.  Maybe loft or library?

My advice is to just watch the dimensions carefully on furniture from Target and other less expensive places. It's almost always on the diminutive side, even pieces that characteristically run larger.

I will never buy any "wood" furniture from IKEA again.. got a Malm 4 chest drawer, was told by the boss to pick it up due to the $20 discount ($80+tax!).  I volunteered to just throw the extra clothes away but that went unanswered.  Anyways, unpacked the 50 lb box, and now my whole house smells like freaking IKEA... Not sure what they use to treat the "wood" but I was nauseous all day and almost threw up.  Being cheap has its drawbacks. 

ps9 said:
now my whole house smells like freaking IKEA... Not sure what they use to treat the "wood" but I was nauseous all day and almost threw up.  Being cheap has its drawbacks. 
That's called "Eau De Prop 65".

irvinehomeowner said:
ps9 said:
now my whole house smells like freaking IKEA... Not sure what they use to treat the "wood" but I was nauseous all day and almost threw up.  Being cheap has its drawbacks. 
That's called "Eau De Prop 65".

Can't be, there was no sticker on it like Plummer's.  :p

qwerty said:
ps9 said:
Being cheap has its drawbacks. 

have you asked yourself if your cheapness is worth the troubles and headaches you bring yourself?

I love being cheap.  Troubles and headaches will heal on its own.  But the money I saved will be permanent.  How many 4 chest drawers can you find for $80 + 30 minute install + happy wife + no guests will ever see the drawer + so who gives a fuck = more money in my pocket for money better spent elsewhere.

In hindsight, unpack the IKEA "wood" products in the garage to let the fumes escape.  I guess I'll do it again next time.  The price is awesome. 

1226FC39-6860-4226-B2F3-453CF261FCEF_zpsh4nvr8v6.jpg

Got these at Costco, about time they made these in black.  Remember if you got wood floors and have furniture with those hard plastic nubs on the bottom of the legs, pop them off and put these on instead. 

ps9 said:
1226FC39-6860-4226-B2F3-453CF261FCEF_zpsh4nvr8v6.jpg

Got these at Costco, about time they made these in black.  Remember if you got wood floors and have furniture with those hard plastic nubs on the bottom of the legs, pop them off and put these on instead.

Nice which Costco did you get them at and which aisle??  Thank you.

Got my pleather wingback:

5CF6C78D-AB45-455F-876A-39232FA24EC1_zps3hi3usky.jpg

Still got to attach the legs.  This shipment took a little over a week.  It actually got contracted out to a freight company instead of UPS.  Company was HomeDirectUSA, good communication with phone and email .  Delivered with no issues.  Not bad for ~$140 shipped to my front door.  Being a RedCard holder discounted the shipping by $50.  I still don't know how Target can afford shipping big furniture pieces for free.  And best of all, no fumes/smell that makes me nauseous.

4A0D482F-7FB4-4211-B74D-37ACBBD07651_zpsx2gq4umn.jpg

Thank you to my cousins in Qingxi Town for making the chair!

homer_simpson said:
I like that wing chair PS9...

Can I come over and play some music on that piano (railing) of yours?  :p

Anytime, and only a couple FCB neighbors in my hood, so you won't get too mad Homer :)

As for the chair, they still have all three colors avail, espresso, black, and a lighter brown.  Staining the stair railings was the most bang for the buck upgrade I did, got rid of the ugly 90s oak and got late 2000ish dark stain. Been over a year and the stain has held up well.

ps9 said:
homer_simpson said:
I like that wing chair PS9...

Can I come over and play some music on that piano (railing) of yours?  :p

Anytime, and only a couple FCB neighbors in my hood, so you won't get too mad Homer :)

As for the chair, they still have all three colors avail, espresso, black, and a lighter brown.  Staining the stair railings was the most bang for the buck upgrade I did, got rid of the ugly 90s oak and got late 2000ish dark stain. Been over a year and the stain has held up well.

I should have moved down the street from you then!!

I've been wanting to get a window bench for a while. I thought it would be easy to find pre-fab ones, but I haven't been able to. So my options are to get one custom-made, but I'd rather not spend the $$ on it, especially since I might not want to have the window bench there permanently. Or I can build my own. I've seen a couple good blot posts of people making their own using ikea expedit bookselves.
http://mommyvignettes.blogspot.com/2013/05/ikea-no-sew-window-bench-tutorial.html
http://chaosinmycasa.blogspot.com/2012/10/diy-window-bench.html

The main thing I would do different from the blog posts is I would stack 2 bookshelves to get a 30" deep bench (more comfy with a pillow, or to recline on, etc.)

curious if anyone has seen a decent prefab option though before I try DIY?

Back