Carmel II

I'm just throwing my opinion out here... seem like I'm one of the few here that like how they got rid of the 2nd living and dining area along with the 3rd garage (sorry IHO).

Growing up in my parents house (almost 5000 sq ft, but of course in a much cheaper area in LA), we almost never use the formal living and dining... and after 15 years in the house, those areas still look brand new. We spent a big % of the furniture budget back then for the dining table set and the sofas there and it feels like we didn't get much use out of them. Those places look nice, but the way families are now days, there just isn't as much of a need for them anymore.

The SFR in the 2010 collection run around what, 2200-3000 sq ft range? I saw some homes built by MBK over at Yorba Linda, and they squeezed in the formal living and dining into those plans (the had bigger lots), and the house feels compartmentalized..and it really hurts the natural lighting.

As for the 3rd garage... it is nice to have, but at the 4000 ish lot sizes, i'm willing to give it up for a more spacious interior, and a lot of the floor plans have some extra storage in the garage along the back for our junk.

And I'm guessing a lot of the people who bought the 2010 feel the same way, I don't see that many people compromising at the prices they are charging for these houses.

PPBABA said:
I'm just throwing my opinion out here... seem like I'm one of the few here that like how they got rid of the 2nd living and dining area along with the 3rd garage (sorry IHO).

Growing up in my parents house (almost 5000 sq ft, but of course in a much cheaper area in LA), we almost never use the formal living and dining... and after 15 years in the house, those areas still look brand new. We spent a big % of the furniture budget back then for the dining table set and the sofas there and it feels like we didn't get much use out of them. Those places look nice, but the way families are now days, there just isn't as much of a need for them anymore.

The SFR in the 2010 collection run around what, 2200-3000 sq ft range? I saw some homes built by MBK over at Yorba Linda, and they squeezed in the formal living and dining into those plans (the had bigger lots), and the house feels compartmentalized..and it really hurts the natural lighting.

As for the 3rd garage... it is nice to have, but at the 4000 ish lot sizes, i'm willing to give it up for a more spacious interior, and a lot of the floor plans have some extra storage in the garage along the back for our junk.

And I'm guessing a lot of the people who bought the 2010 feel the same way, I don't see that many people compromising at the prices they are charging for these houses.

Add me (and my wife) to the list who like the lack of formal living room and dining room..
Even our current 1500 sq ft house has formal living room.  We are a family of 5 and have outgrown the house. However, the living room still does not get used!!!  There's no living going on in our iving room :(
The 8 year old familiy room sofa is on its last leg, but the 8 year living room sofa still looks and feels brand new.  It's going into the loft of our new home where it will finally be used.

In our current house, the kitchen and family room are in one continuous room, just like the 2010 kitchen and great room, but smaller. When we have guests, we all hang around the kitchen/family room.  So when we saw the 2010 kitchen/great room layout, we were very happy.

To be clear, I don't really care if it's a formal living room, a den, a parlor, an extra bedroom downstairs or an upstairs loft... I just want a secondary living space to put another TV/couch just in case the family room is occupado.

As for the 2nd dining... I guess we just have more clutter than most... the nook is our primary eating space and the dining room is where the homework is done, the mail is sorted, the laptops are used, the kids draw etc etc.

Our living room often becomes the nap room because the kids are outside or in the living room and we want to stay close by.

irvinehomeowner said:
So according to that article, there will be a Sonoma II?

I assume those will be south of Carmel II.

No, according to Sonoma sales team, there will not be Sonoma II.  They are selling the model homes already and sold at least one of the three model homes.

They told me that it will be Irvine Pacific that will be building in the area.

Well... considering that TIC was really the master builder for 2010HC... the Irvine Pacific models will probably be close in execution to Sonoma.

Maybe they'll call it Solano or Petaluma.

I got email I got today about a private preview for Carmel II.  They have not contact me about Carmel since May.  Wonder if they don't have enough buyers.

Please join us for a private preview of our freshly designed homes on larger lots in Woodbury. This special event will allow you to gain information on new pricing and give you an opportunity to make your homesite selection. In addition, you will have the first opportunity to see our innovative touch screens that will be displayed to illustrate our newly designed floorplans.

DATE: Thursday, September 9th
TIME: 4:30pm to 7:00pm
(Light Appetizers To Be Served)
RSVP- Carmel@thenewhomecompany.com

I've got pricing for Carmel II
Starting from:
Plan 1 ( 3174 sqft) $ 1.030.000
Plan 2 (3428 sqft) $ 1.080.000
Plan 3 (3568 sqft) $ 1.145.000

.... any comments from current and future  Carmel I owners?

what about lot sizes did they give a range and average lots?

Also TIC is getting creative ... they are not lowering prices but increasing sizes.

Chitown said:
what about lot sizes did they give a range and average lots?

Also TIC is getting creative ... they are not lowering prices but increasing sizes.

With all due respect, TIC did nothing creative on Carmel II.  I think it's one of the worst executions I have seen in a while.  They took nice floorplans from Carmel I and did a quick band-aid add ons to the floorplans to utilize the larger lot size.  What they ended up with was unbalanced out of place 5th bedroom off of the kitchen and also gave you half baked conservatory room and california room. 
Maybe the end product will look different, but the online floorplan looks unbalance/unfinished to me.

Back